Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 03:54 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

We all know about the abuse cover-up the Catholic church perpetuated. That is not new news.

However, to see these revelations just makes one's blood boil. How could they? How could they systemically conspire to protect the guilty, the pedophiles, those domineering SOB's of priests?

‘Payout chart’ for molestation: Secret archive held chilling details of clergy abuse in Pennsylvania | National Post

NO excuses. None, and I don't give a flip if you think this sect is the true church or not. How could it be, when those that are leading it are so involved in real sin? Not that garbage your bible tries to sell, but real harm to real, innocent people.

And if your of another sect, don't get on your high horses, because many of them have similar stories.

Hypocrites? Yup, pretty much.

THIS is the reason more and more people are turning away first from organized religion, and once that break is made, towards non-believe.

Yeah, I'm angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 04:34 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
I hear you.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:03 PM

11,033 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Holy ****! The bastards!

Old 03-05-2016, 10:06 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
There are VERY few denominations that don't support the idea that "clergy" is a special class. Any difference is a matter of degree, not of kind.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:54 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Probably this a cultural change , as the year pre-1970s there was a sexual revolution and people got away with a lot more then they are today , as some governments are taking the time limitation away today for this offense and there is a lot of offenses coming out of the wood work ...... Like in the past it is hush hush and people were required to move on with no justice, or women would be incriminated for the offense that they had ..............Like Jimmy Savile of the BBC, and Bill Cosby had many offenses from the distant past , and no one said anything until today ...............Where then these priest where given full confidence of the parents and they just abused these children with a faithless to God and ignore the implication ..... must have been a different culture , like the some western Native who children were taken from the band and taught English and their culture were lost , it was a different culture , where today we kick the but after the fact years later

Old 03-06-2016, 06:22 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
This is the Bishops payout chart.

"The chart recommended paying $10,000 to $25,000 to victims fondled over their clothes; $15,000 to $40,000 to those fondled under their clothes or subjected to masturbation; $25,000 to $75,000 for those subjected to oral sex; and $50,000 to $175,000 to those subjected to intercourse."

Those poor children.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:55 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
We all know about the abuse cover-up the Catholic church perpetuated. That is not new news.

However, to see these revelations just makes one's blood boil. How could they? How could they systemically conspire to protect the guilty, the pedophiles, those domineering SOB's of priests?

â€Payout chart’ for molestation: Secret archive held chilling details of clergy abuse in Pennsylvania | National Post

NO excuses. None, and I don't give a flip if you think this sect is the true church or not. How could it be, when those that are leading it are so involved in real sin? Not that garbage your bible tries to sell, but real harm to real, innocent people.

And if your of another sect, don't get on your high horses, because many of them have similar stories.

THIS is the reason more and more people are turning away first from organized religion, and once that break is made, towards non-believe.

Yeah, I'm angry.
None of us are making excuses. None of us think that it could only happen there.

I'm very aware that people are sinners, whether Catholic or Protestant, and that left unchecked, people tend to do bad things. For some people, they hurt children. We know it's wrong, and truth be told, I'd like to see anyone that hurts a kid like that gelded.....but in the short term, I do recognize that a kid should NEVER be put in a position of danger. No adult should be given the opportunity to do something like this.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 AM

23,175 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

‘Payout chart’ for molestation: Secret archive held chilling details of clergy abuse in Pennsylvania | National Post

Yeah, I'm angry.
I am no fan of the Pope or of the Catholic faith but I suppose many Catholics are very upset about this also, and I don't hold all of them at fault. But I suppose they would see those priests who committed those acts as sinners just as if they were regular people and you will find child molesters in any kind of organization whether it be businesses or religions, they are mixed in with everything, and certainly the leaders who do not severely punish those molesters are wrong, and still, they know it's wrong.

So let's take away all religion, but how long will it be before it is legal to have sex with a child under the morals and ethics displayed by people with no religion or even with people in a religion who have been swayed by non believers to begin accepting any kind of sexual immorality?

God has laws against sexual immorality and when you start taking each law of God and slowly doing away with all his commandments, we are left with no laws of morals or ethics. If you can take one single law of against sexual immorality then you take them all out and it is left up to society to decide what is moral and what isn't, and some societies condone sex with children, even some religions condone sex and marriage with children.

I am always curious about a person's list of what a man can do and what he can't.

You would say that men should not have sex with children, I would say the same but I have a list of immoral sins from God.

But you are your own individual, where do you obtain a list of what is Immoral?

From your own opinion?

Should it be decided by the majority who have no religion at all?

If so, then majorities would choose what they want, and believe it or not, some majorities in some countries would ok things that I am not sure you would agree with.

Who has the final say?

Maybe there are some Catholic evil men who should have never been priests, and I think they should be killed immediately if they have molested children in their care, and I can understand the anger somebody would have for a molester, I am all with you on that, but where would a non religious person draw lines when he has figured out what he thinks is moral and what he thinks is immoral?

I would say that at least the Catholic church has a list of what is immoral but unfortunately and obviously, some men are great sinners that did not follow a code.

I am just curious I guess, have you ever thought of a making a list of do's and don't and what is moral and what is ethical opposed to what is immoral and unethical?

If we should turn away from what our faith says, what should we believe?

Just curious if you have run across a list that you agree with or is there some set list on such things amongst non believers that a person can turn to and say,'' AH, it is not moral to have sex with an animal,'' so says the grand yahoo, of the Holy unbeliever church in the sacred city of San Diego.''

Old 03-06-2016, 09:25 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
It is unfair to hold all Christians accountable for this, in the same way that it's unfair to hold all Muslims accountable for the acts of groups like ISIS. Granted, many of the people who are appalled that a non-Christian would hold all Christians accountable for the child abuse that occurs all the time with church figures are more likely to hold all Muslims accountable for terrorists acts. At least that's the case in the PoC forum. Maybe there are fewer hypocrites here.

Never the less, one must ask what it is about religious positions that draws people like this in. In regards to the Catholic Priests, I can only assume it's celibacy. Obviously, a pedophile is someone who finds children attractive, and while we don't know specifically what causes this to happen, we can pretty reasonably gather that it's something wrong with the brains wiring. I imagine that because such a thing is beyond just taboo, they are drawn to a life of celibacy in order to avoid social rejection. Obviously, many find that they still can't control their urges.

That's the view that allows these people to still be at least human. They do this in hopes that it will fix them. Who knows, maybe there are some pedophile priests who did find they were able to control their urges. I suppose it's not unreasonable to assume there aren't pedophiles all over the place, but with varying levels of self control.

It is however possible that these people are drawn to positions of authority for the purpose of getting closer to children. This would explain why non-celibate religious figure sexual assault is still plenty common. There are stories of protestant pastors doing this as well, and of course you can find rabbis and imams who have done the same thing.

The worst part is, there isn't really an easy solution to this. Some would say just kill those that do it, but I fail to see that as a solution. No reason exists to suggest pedophilia is hereditary. Killing them won't stop them. Some argue that having the death penalty deters crime, but I disagree. Fear of punishment won't stop people from doing things when they lose control. Frankly, I wonder if having a place for these people to go before they do anything wrong may be more beneficial. Don't mistreat them until they've actually done some damage I guess. Allow them to speak with counselors openly about their issue and maybe we can study what causes it, perhaps prevent or even cure it. I know it's less satisfying that the revenge most of us reasonably crave when we hear of horrific cases like this, but I do feel, from a rational point of view, that it's an idea worth pursuing. Worst case scenario it doesn't work. Best case scenario, it solves the problem.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:28 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
None of us are making excuses. None of us think that it could only happen there.

I'm very aware that people are sinners, whether Catholic or Protestant, and that left unchecked, people tend to do bad things. For some people, they hurt children. We know it's wrong, and truth be told, I'd like to see anyone that hurts a kid like that gelded.....but in the short term, I do recognize that a kid should NEVER be put in a position of danger. No adult should be given the opportunity to do something like this.
You are saying that humans often have hidden agendas and personal motivations for the things that they do. Without excusing these individuals in any way for the things that they did (put them in jail and leave them there in fact), I can only agree that this is true. So the real question becomes, where was God when these terrible things were being done by His people wearing His cloak of sanctimony?" This sort of abuse has apparently been going on all along, for centuries even. Where was God? Why is it that when push comes to shove, the God who, according to the Bible was so very "hands on" in ancient times when offences were being committed, acts exactly like a God who doesn't exist? And when you discover that the very people who have been telling you that you can trust in them when they tell you that God is real, and that God speaks through them because they are the ones who know God's will, turn out to be scheming, lying perverts crying out for you money and support while molesting your children, little more than con men essentially, does that say NOTHING about the nature of the ancient superstitions that they are using to place themselves into these positions of authority and trust over you? How fulla bulla do they need to prove themselves to be before you catch on?

And of course your answer is, a few bad apples do not necessary spoil the bunch. Many, most preachers and priests in fact, are genuine and sincere. Or could it be that they are just the ones that have yet to be uncovered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality