Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 01:06 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
I can not speak to
What those "commentators" are talking about, but it is all spelled out very easy for you to read in verses 30-39...did you read it or are you just going by what someone else says and taking that as the truth? Read it and you will see Jacob starts with multi-colored animals, taken from Laban's flock. Easy to see if you would I just read it.

Good, because those "commentators" are what students in bible seminaries reference when studying the bible. They are 'your kind of people'.

But then you have already shown your disdain for knowledge in science, so why not extend that to your bible. Make up your own thoughts and try and convince others they have standing.

#fail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 01:06 PM

446 posts, read 552,878 times
I like to stick to the source, not what someone I don't know says about a source, especially when what someone says about the source doesn't really make any sense

Old 05-05-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Good, because those "commentators" are what students in bible seminaries reference when studying the bible. They are 'your kind of people'.

But then you have already shown your disdain for knowledge in science, so why not extend that to your bible. Make up your own thoughts and try and convince others they have standing.

#fail
Are you obtuse or just trying to be funny?
I asked you if you read what I asked you read about the thing you were talking about..it clearly states in the bible Jacob started with multicolored animals. I posted it for you to read, chapter 30 verses 32 & 33. Did you read it and does that say exactly what I said it says?

I could care less if someone is taught something incorrectly. I will just correct them when they present it to me. As a scientist I am a skeptic first, in everything. I always go to the source first before relying on anybody's commentary about anything, and in this case, the commentary you provided was not accurate to what the source said. You are trying to say the source is bad, and I am just trying to show you the source isn't as bad as you thought.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:27 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Worst excuse I've heard so far on these passages.

From the Pulpit Commentaries:

Verse 39. - And the flocks conceived (ut supra) before the rods, and brought forth cattle ringstraked, speckled, and spotted. The fact is said to have been frequently observed that, particularly in the case of sheep, whatever fixes their attention in copulation is marked upon the young. That Jacob believed in the efficacy of the artifice he adopted is apparent; but the multiplication of Parti-colored animals it will be safer to ascribe to Divine blessing than to human craft.

Barnes Notes on the Bible:

Jacob devises means to provide himself with a flock in these unfavorable circumstances. His first device is to place party-colored rods before the eyes of the cattle at the rutting season, that they might drop lambs and kids varied with speckles, patches, or streaks of white. He had learned from experience that there is a congruence between the colors of the objects contemplated by the dams at that season and those of their young. At all events they bare many straked, speckled, and spotted lambs and kids. He now separated the lambs, and set the faces of the flock toward the young of the rare colors, doubtless to affect them in the same way as the pilled rods. "Put his own folds by themselves." These are the party-colored cattle that from time to time appeared in the flock of Laban. In order to secure the stronger cattle, Jacob added the second device of employing the party-colored rods only when the strong cattle conceived.

Christian, not atheist commentators. You two are too funny as a tag team.
He put the stuff into the watering troughs.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:29 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Applying your own argument, nobody saw God create anything, so that never happened. Glad we could finally put this to bed. Have a happy day.
Jesus was there and He explained to Moses exactly how God created and He didn't use evolution.

Glad we could finally put this to bed. Have a happy day.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:39 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Applying your own argument, nobody saw God create anything, so that never happened. Glad we could finally put this to bed. Have a happy day.
Do you really want to go in that direction? That only encourages the "myth of equivalency." I am sure Eusi is perfectly fine conceding that he did not see God actually do anything thus it is faith-based. I am sure that he would also contend that evolution is faith-based, as well.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:41 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinbalad View Post
Are you obtuse or just trying to be funny?
I asked you if you read what I asked you read about the thing you were talking about..it clearly states in the bible Jacob started with multicolored animals. I posted it for you to read, chapter 30 verses 32 & 33. Did you read it and does that say exactly what I said it says?

I could care less if someone is taught something incorrectly. I will just correct them when they present it to me. As a scientist I am a skeptic first, in everything. I always go to the source first before relying on anybody's commentary about anything, and in this case, the commentary you provided was not accurate to what the source said. You are trying to say the source is bad, and I am just trying to show you the source isn't as bad as you thought.
You are your own expert.

Got it.

You know what they say about lawyers who serve as their own representatives in court, don't you. It applies to you. And don't even begin to suggest you are a scientist, because you have clearly shown you do not understand, never mind having an expertise, in science. Your trying to snow the snowman, and it ain't working, pal.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:51 PM

Not sure why you wrote that cupper?

I even provided the text in a previous post clarifying my point and showing what I said to be entirely and utterly true, that is, accurate to my interpretation of the bible and not yours. Why is this so hard to see? Maybe you didn't see it? Here I will post again Genesis chapter 30 verses 32 where it clearly states Jacob took spotted, striped, and black animals from Laban's flock, this giving Jacob a flock that started out of spotted, striped and black animals (which when bred, created spotted, striped, and black animals):

Gen 30:32
let me pass through all your flock today, removing from it every speckled and spotted sheep and every black lamb, and the spotted and speckled among the goats, and they shall be my wages.

It is clear as stink on poop that Jacob took animals for his wages. These animals he took were all the spotted, striped and black animals. These animals, when bred, bore similarly colored off-spring.

Now, how is that hard to understand? Please let me
Know where I erred, and please don't use someone else's commentary, please use your own words...

Old 05-05-2016, 02:12 PM

Cupper, one other thing. Why would me stating I prefer to look to a source first rather than commentary about the source be a bad thing? Would you prefer I just took someone else's opinion on something as the truth without investigating for myself? That is so anti-science it's funny. Anytime I am investigating something I look at the source, the data, the methods. There is a lot of junk science Out there that speaks truth where no truth exists, and there are a lot of junk opinions out there. Why should I be decried (called "my own expert") for wanting to seek the truth? Please tell.

Last edited by stuckinbalad; 05-05-2016 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 05-05-2016, 02:32 PM

What does "you are trying to snow the snowman" mean anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality