Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 04:03 AM

261 posts, read 156,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus often show up to people who end up starting a Ministry through Jesus Christ ........ heard of a ministry where Jesus burned a cross right in the man hand , ...........and others like Apostle Paul which was struck blind where he became an Apostle through Jesus ...............When I first turn to Jesus, He showed here the eternal light of God for five minutes , which was pure white light with no color in the flame .............. heard this one ministry were this man had a church and the devil took over his church which was the end so he turn back to Jesus and Jesus cleaned his church and his ministry grew many more times
The guy never bothered to show up for me as a kid when I desperately needed him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 05:02 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Interesting that the nail wound scars were in the right place. Of course by now most people know the nails went through the wrist and not the palms. The lack of beard is out of place though.

Too bad there is no way to verify or disprove the mans story. He could have hallucinated it or fabricated it. Who knows?
After two millennia, don't you think Jesus would be like "time to shave?" Also the classical depiction of Jesus is from paintings.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Yeah, I jumped on that one too but re-read it, luckily.

I'm hesitant to dismiss the story out of hand but ....
Well, you caught me again. I have a bad 'speed -reading' habit. As well as a crap -typing habit. I too often have to go back and correct mistakes. This was one.

This Jesus had his wounds in the right place. Padre pio didn't.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:50 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
I've been holding back on this like ...forever, but, dang it ... I'm debating whether or not I should relate my experience of the night I picked up Elvis on a country road, jump suit, guitar and all. I couldn't believe it and I suspect you won't either so I might just keep it to myself.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:54 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequential View Post
How I met Jesus Face-to-Face

One thing I found interesting is the "nickel-sized" wounds. The nails the Romans used to crucify people were about 3/4" wide, which is indeed the diameter of a nickel.
Coincidence? I think not!!

Old 04-17-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Coincidence? I think not!!
Wounds close up, don't they? They wouldn't be the size of the nails - and I always thought that the resurrected body still with the identifying wounds in sounded very fishy.

That's quite apart from the discrepant resurrection accounts convincing me it didn't happen anyway. So I put this story down to 'alien encounter -story' invention, even if he got the details right.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:09 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Wounds close up, don't they? They wouldn't be the size of the nails - and I always thought that the resurrected body still with the identifying wounds in sounded very fishy.

That's quite apart from the discrepant resurrection accounts convincing me it didn't happen anyway. So I put this story down to 'alien encounter -story' invention, even if he got the details right.
As I'm sure you realized, I was being facetious.

An effective tall tale has a certain amount of detail (including often spurious details, as his description of the size of the flaps on his bag -- because people WANT to believe that some hapless old guy in a '91 Buick wouldn't want to deceive you; look at how detailed his story is!).

Look, I had Julius Caesar knock on my front door once, and I had him in for dinner (nice guy, bad table manners) but I never told the story because I recognize that unverifiable personal accounts are useless as evidence. So I didn't waste anyone's time with it.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As I'm sure you realized, I was being facetious.

An effective tall tale has a certain amount of detail (including often spurious details, as his description of the size of the flaps on his bag -- because people WANT to believe that some hapless old guy in a '91 Buick wouldn't want to deceive you; look at how detailed his story is!).

Look, I had Julius Caesar knock on my front door once, and I had him in for dinner (nice guy, bad table manners) but I never told the story because I recognize that unverifiable personal accounts are useless as evidence. So I didn't waste anyone's time with it.
Certainly, but it was a Point, nevertheless. Yes, you also make a good point about superfluous detail.

How did W. S Gilbert put it?

"I am, in point of fact, a particularly haughty and exclusive person, of pre-Adamite ancestral descent. You will understand this when I tell you that I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic globule. Consequently, my family pride is something inconceivable."

No not that....."Darwinian Man, though well-behav’d,
At best is only a monkey shav’d
!"

No I didn't have that in mind..

Ha! "Merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative."

Old 04-17-2016, 11:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequential View Post
How I met Jesus Face-to-Face

One thing I found interesting is the "nickel-sized" wounds. The nails the Romans used to crucify people were about 3/4" wide, which is indeed the diameter of a nickel.
Horse-Hockey....

Old 04-17-2016, 01:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Jesus is magic, and wouldn't need to be catching rides with people. He could snap his fingers and have a Dodge Viper, although I can see him in a Toyota Corolla station wagon, or something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality