Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:58 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I agree that this is stupid and offensive but atheists, who mock and ridicule Christians, shouldn't complain very much. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
In other words, if you don't like being mocked, then don't mock either.

Excuse me? You have got to be freaking kidding me. Christ said "do to others as you'd have them to do you." NOT "do to others what they do to you"

See the difference?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 07:03 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I agree that this is stupid and offensive but atheists, who mock and ridicule Christians, shouldn't complain very much. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
In other words, if you don't like being mocked, then don't mock either.
And if you don't like your beliefs being laughed at, don't have such funny beliefs.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Or maybe he is just tired of atheists constantly mocking and bashing Christians.
"Do to others as you'd have them do to you"--Jesus Christ

Old 07-14-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'd be more impressed if their sign said:

Food Bank Open
All Are Welcome

Ok, that made me tear up. Me too, Dew.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
I'm an atheist, and what I find most funny about the sign is that it's completely ineffective. It serves to either:

A. offend, in which case it wouldn't persuade
B. be aimed at atheists, in which case it wouldn't persuade
C. be aimed at dyslexic people, who would have trouble reading the sign, thus wouldn't be offended OR persuaded
D. be aimed at Christians, who are persuaded already

Old 07-14-2016, 08:40 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
And if you don't like your beliefs being laughed at, don't have such funny beliefs.
Love it! Going to make a meme out of this one.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:47 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,043 times
Well, I thought it was funny. But the prevailing theory is that the majority of humor comes at the expense of someone (even one's self at times). I dread the day when the world is so sterile with how we interact with one another that Ray Bradbury will have been right all along... In Beatty's speech to Montag, the final reason for censorship and the burning of books (besides the increasingly short attention span of people) is basically modern political correctness:
"Now let's take up the minorities in our civilization, shall we? Bigger the population, the more minorities. Don't step on the toes of the dog-lovers, the cat-lovers, doctors, lawyers, merchants, chiefs, Mormons, Baptists, Unitarians, second-generation Chinese, Swedes, Italians, Germans, Texans, Brooklynites, Irishmen, people from Oregon or Mexico. The people in this book, this play, this TV serial are not meant to represent any actual painters, cartographers, mechanics anywhere. The bigger your market, Montag, the less you handle controversy, remember that! All the minor minor minorities with their navels to be kept clean. Authors, full of evil thoughts, lock up your typewriters. They did."
(Ray Bradbury - Farenheit 451, excerpt here: http://www.ltisdschools.org/cms/lib0...%20Excerpt.pdf)
Damn you over-sensitive cat-lovers! It's like he knew what the majority of the internet would contain this kind of stuff:

Old 07-14-2016, 08:51 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Love it! Going to make a meme out of this one.
This brings to mind Scientology. Consider: if the tenets and stories (about Thetans, alien forces, etc.) of Scientology had been around, and followed, and there were innumerable Churches of Scientology that had been around a couple of millennia, etc. Then all their rituals and dogma and other nonsense would be pretty much a part of our culture. Ingrained and accepted.

In that scenario, if someone 50 years ago began promoting a story about how a certain deity gave birth to himself via a virgin's womb, which magical divine child was capable of miracles, which child was then executed and brought back to life to later return to the planet and sit in judgement of all the living and the dead, people would think it farcical.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:20 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Dyslexia is only a disability to those who do not have dyslexia. Most of us manage very well, and signs like these do not reflect on God. It reflects the arses who put up the sign. I will venture a guess not all church members were pleased with this display of immature arsery.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
This brings to mind Scientology. Consider: if the tenets and stories (about Thetans, alien forces, etc.) of Scientology had been around, and followed, and there were innumerable Churches of Scientology that had been around a couple of millennia, etc. Then all their rituals and dogma and other nonsense would be pretty much a part of our culture. Ingrained and accepted.

In that scenario, if someone 50 years ago began promoting a story about how a certain deity gave birth to himself via a virgin's womb, which magical divine child was capable of miracles, which child was then executed and brought back to life to later return to the planet and sit in judgement of all the living and the dead, people would think it farcical.
Great comparison, which most of those afflicted by Christianity not grasp.

Side note:

I snowbird about 15 miles from their "Flag" base in Clearwater. What a sterile place, although I must say, impeccably clean. Their 'Sea Org' adherents have the most vacant look in their faces, almost like walking zombies.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality