Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:11 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,385,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Why should we even listen to you when your side almost always offers up condescending snark and insults? I could say the same thing about atheists. You will not allow any evidence to be considered that might threaten your belief that there is no God.
Show us some evidence, and we will consider it. Showing a photo of a photoshopped flaming hand, and saying, "The Bible!!" is not evidence.

So.... what you got for us to consider?

Oh, and FYI, a lot of us are what you would call agnostic, not atheist. We don't say with 100% certainty that there is no God. Although, we are reasonably certain it isn't the psychopathic one that you worship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 07:22 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Why should we even listen to you when your side almost always offers up condescending snark and insults? I could say the same thing about atheists. You will not allow any evidence to be considered that might threaten your belief that there is no God.
This is your excuse for not learning something? You blame someone else for remaining in ignorance, little brother.

Nothing stops you from opening a book other than the Bible. Believing in God, and evolution are not mutually exclusive.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
This is your excuse for not learning something? You blame someone else for remaining in ignorance, little brother.

Nothing stops you from opening a book other than the Bible. Believing in God, and evolution are not mutually exclusive.

Great point!!

Old 07-22-2016, 07:47 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
When I was a young one in high school at a private religious school, my science teacher confidently and gleefully informed us - in all seriousness - that fossils were all sculpted out of the ground into whatever shape and form the Satanic paleontologists wanted.
Wow. That would be hilarious (as well as disturbing) if children weren't being manipulated. That's crazy.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:36 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
LOL!!!!!

There you go again, offbase40.

I never said to listen to me! My god, LOL, it is remarkable how your brain just shuts off. And I never said I don't believe in a god. I believe my people, Native Americans had a belief in a Great Spirit long before any white man set foot on this continent. The more you guys define god, the more you guys turn god into a complete jerk. Maybe you were created in his image after all! Bwaahaaa haaahaaa.

BTW, I am not an atheist. Sorry to rain on your hate parade.

Don't I get one of your SWALLOW YOUR VOMIT comments? Aww, come on! Be a sport! Okay, that's IT! This is the last time I say hi to you in church!

Last edited by _redbird_; 07-22-2016 at 08:51 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 08:58 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

And many of us go links that people like Jeff have provided, have read books by creationists and do read other Web sites giving their side. But the open minded ones like him refuse to even go to the links we provide or even correct themselves on what is and is nit evolution. It is easy to throw terms like bias or open minded close minded around but the evidence has been clear as to who even refuses to look at the what the other side provides. It seems like to him for us to be open minded we not only have to look at his sources but have to accept them as good and true. For him to be open minded he does not have to look at our references because he already knows the truth.

I even provided the name of a book by a very well known evolutionary biologist, Stephen Jay Gould that explains how evolution and religion can Co exists and he has never even acknowledged the book existence, he simply does not care to learn anything outside of what he believes. He has stated several times that he loves science but when he listed what he liked it was all or mostly pseudoscience.

I think that every non believer has stated that they accept the possibily of there being a god. And a much less possibility of that God being the God of the Bible. Every reader of this forum knows who are more open minded than others. I am not even sure if some can admit the possibility of parts of the Bible being written as allegorical rather than literal. To me the Noah story makes perfect sense as an allegorical story and zero sense as a literal one has it has an extremely large number of physical problems to explain and that cannot be done without creating new problems to solve.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:06 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
And I thought I'd post here because this is for all who might be concerned with the Evilooshun debate.

No, I'm not going have a swipe at our pal, rather I would take the opportunity to praise his guts, courage and tenacity in arguing his beliefs. No, it was just that I recalled how often "Lucy" comes up as a particular target, because it is of course the Transitional Form ape to human (to put it in layman terms).

The common objection is that there is no evidence of bipedalism, or at least nothing special; This
you - tube is excellent in particularly pointing out how compelling is the evidence of habitual and indeed quite advanced bipedalism in Australopithecus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKJoJGMT0Ww

It also deals with the 'Knee joint' argument, and also puts in place the evidence for humanlke hands and feet - from other specimens, one actually being more complete than the "Lucy" individual.

The overall No 8 lie is that Australopithecus is "Just an ape", which is to say no more humanlike than any chimp. A memorable example being in a Jack Chick tract showing various races of humans (what the exact point was I am not sure, but I doubt that it does Jack Chick much credit) and "Lucy" as a chimp with a stupid grin and a cultivated banana (which sorta shows how human it is), in a monumental effort to persuade that "Lucy" is no more than any other chimp.

After watching this vid, only the utterly blinkered and wilfully dishonest could deny that there is good evidence for regarding Australopithecus as a very significant transitional to hominid form.
Wasn't Lucy about 3 foot tall?
And aren't most chimps about 3 or so foot tall?
And don't most chimps walk on their hind legs?

I rest my case.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:10 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I even provided the name of a book by a very well known evolutionary biologist, Stephen Jay Gould that explains how evolution and religion can Co exists and he has never even acknowledged the book existence, he simply does not care to learn anything outside of what he believes. He has stated several times that he loves science but when he listed what he liked it was all or mostly pseudoscience.
Jesus and other writers of the Bible agree that God created humanity and all life on earth without evolution. Therefore Gould is incorrect that evolution and religion can co exist. If evolution is correct, God, Christ, Paul and others are found to be liars. Obviously this doesn't matter to some but it does to me.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I would love to know how creationists can see this stuff and NOT be convinced?
It's a phenomenon called 'wilful ignorance.'

Quote:
Why should we even listen to you when your side almost always offers up condescending snark and insults?
Oh...he's crying again.

Quote:
I could say the same thing about atheists. You will not allow any evidence to be considered that might threaten your belief that there is no God.
Not only is that wrong but you are deliberately lying in that you have been told over and over by countless people here that we will be persuaded by objective and verifiable evidence for the existence of gods. So stop being disingenuous by claiming that we reject verifiable evidence for gods when neither you or any other theist in the history of humanity has supplied any such evidence for us to reject.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:32 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
You can say the same sort of thing about atheists. You wouldn't be the first.

Why you should listen to us and why we should listen to you, insults aside, is because o the evidence offered by you and by us. It is discussed exhaustively and (I know you will not accept this ) Our side has prettymuch made mincemeat of all your "Evidence" and you people have regularly smashed your metaphorical teeth out, trying to knock over our "Evidence".

There is a reason for this, Jeff. Our evidence is good and sound and yours is wet crap.

Here's some particularly sloppy crap thinking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Wasn't Lucy about 3 foot tall?
And aren't most chimps about 3 or so foot tall?
And don't most chimps walk on their hind legs?

I rest my case.
Which promptly falls to the ground. Apes are indeed capable of shambling along in an upright position, but (if you had watched the video or even read my post ) you would know that Australopithecus had become such a habitual bipedal that the skeleton had adapted to look like ours, not like any other kind of ape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Jesus and other writers of the Bible agree that God created humanity and all life on earth without evolution. Therefore Gould is incorrect that evolution and religion can co exist. If evolution is correct, God, Christ, Paul and others are found to be liars. Obviously this doesn't matter to some but it does to me.
I know and it doesn't (you are right) matter to me, because I don''t believe that the historical Jesus ever said a word of the Gospel sayings and even if he had, he had no more divine authority that any other 1st c Jewish Rabbi, if that.

But of course there are many, many other Christians who don't have a problem with this at all. And there is a very good reason why, which I have explained and proven to you from the actual Gospels text. More than once. I repeat it.

Jesus (according to the Gospels) at times acted as though he did not know everything.

That he would help the Syrio -Phoenecian women
Who touched his robe,
That God could not let him off crucifixion
That sickness is not cause by demons.

Either he was pretending he did not know to make a teaching point, or he had limited knowledge and did not even know about his immediate surroundings, his own future (for sure) medical facts or...prehistoric history.

You lose. Not just because you are wrong, but because you have been proven wrong on this point several times and yet you still keep repeating the same argument.

You are now worth to us 2 divisions, a Panzer Platoon (no spare parts) a catering corps, a latrine order and bi bosomed Korean WAAS physiotherapist.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-22-2016 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality