Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 11:07 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Very true... for some of them.

But for many others? I don't doubt for a minute that they think a society almost universally ruled by white men was far superior to the situation today - where they have to tolerate a considerable degree of influence by non-whites and women.

Many of those things I cited about yesteryear are horrors to you and I... but recalled with more than a little wistfulness by plenty of fundamentalists. I don't believe that it's sheer coincidence that the most religious part of the country - the South - is the same part of the country where it was all but impossible for blacks to vote until the 1960s and where different proms for whites and non-whites still occasionally crop up.

Even things such as slavery and the systematic exploitation of children? Having to live with those on one hand... or gays living openly and naughty words and boobs on television and in movies on the other hand? I don't doubt that there are plenty of regressives who would happily accept slavery and exploited children if it only meant they could go back to oppressing gays and clamping down on expression. Not for a minute.

I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 03:14 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
God does not bring it on people , as God brought Jesus Christ the redeemer to fix the problems of man , where as if man sits with ideas of liberalism which ignores God then it is not God that bring on issues of destruction , and irregular social issues , and perplexing problems, but it is man that bring on these issues................Spiritually when man sits in the nest of demons and wicked angels , then He will have their reward of evil in their society Like it or not .

Old 08-12-2016, 04:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
It really doesn't make any sense. God made us in such a way, that (unless he was totally stupid) He knew that we would be sure to go wrong.

So, if he wants to put things right, why doesn't he? He does, if he had to incarnate and sacrifice himself (for a day or two at least) to rectify the matter.

I can see how the 'learning curve' argument can seem convincing and the Crucifixion loophole, though it is utterly senseless, is still a Loophole in the laws that God made himself. I can see how you need a few burned fingers to learn about avoiding flames. But there is just too much pointless and indeed malicious evil in the world that teaches nothing (and indeed has to be blamed on gays and unisex showers) to put it down to Guiding us.

Add to that the whole problem of ET and the price of a ticket (good works or Faith?) and it becomes inexplicable. Very well, so it is inexplicable - to us. But not to God. That is to say 'Don't expect it to make sense, just accept that it does'.

That is what we call an example of checking the brain, blind faith and not having a shred of decent evidence. And that is why the problem of evil crops up again and again as a reason for deconversions.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:28 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
This is in the same category as "sincerely held religious beliefs".

It doesn't matter if you are Christian, Mormon (Moderator cut: insult removed ), or Muslim. We don't need theocracy in this country.

We hear the whole " separation of church and state" which atheists interpret to mean is an open invitation to prohibit others from worship... No it's actually not. Atheism either is a religion, or it isn't. But if it is, this means it has no more right than anybody to be respected, and if it isn't that doesn't give it license as a state authored to infringe on another's right to worship.

If I want to privately worship in my church that gets tax-breaks for being a religious institution (for the very reason that taxing a church is exerting state authority over it), I can. If I want to take thee same offday every week, I can. If I want to wear some sort of pendant, I usually can, but if I am working in a place like, say Amazon. Between the godless nature of the job and the fact that there is an extreme risk of getting said pendant caught in machinery and dying, they advise against long loose publicly shown jewelry. They do however allow that is worn under clothing and is short enough not to be a tangle hazard. They also by the same safety code restrict long hair (Sikh/jain) and burqa (Muslim). Again, because wearing an obnoxiously public statement of faith can and will cause you to get sucked into a machine and have your face torn off.

Separation of church and state is like this. You can worship privately. Or you can work at a job with your own people, such as the Amish or Muslims working in their own districts. Go to school in separate areas. You can wear a cross or hell, a satanic pendant. But this isn't a place for you to be a special snowflake that gets to bypass safety rules.During the Olympic competition, you hear these Muslim women trying to advertise for their religion. Weightlifter, or swimmer, or fencer wants to wear a special costume. No. You don't get free publicity. If you can design a suit for weightlifting or fencing, goto town. But don't use this to milk free interviews. And if you can wear, say a wetsuit, there is no reason to do anything other than ask permission privately to do so. You don't need a burqina or whatever, wear clothing designed for the purpose without calling attention (this would be state favoritism which is very much not separation of church and state). Also, let's talk about swimming and public safety. Women originally had the bright idea of wearing full Victorian dresses to the water. They drowned, which is why today, not because we are an immoral immodest people but because of constriction, we wear today's suits. If the guy tells you "you can't wear hijab to the water" it isn't because of prejudice against Islam or because he is a sicko out to see your naked body. It is because you will drown. Divas.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-12-2016 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: We don't call religions cults

Old 08-12-2016, 07:34 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
There's no cure for stupid.

Don't give up hope Trout

Old 08-12-2016, 09:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Don't give up hope Trout
Well said. There IS a cure for certain kinds of stupid. Deconversion seems to be one.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
they fail to kiss up to him or do what he wants them to do:

Anne Graham Lotz Says God Sends Terror Attacks Because Of Bathroom Rights And Evolution

We’re struggling with our own pride or self-sufficiency. I think that’s why God allows bad things to happen. I think that’s why he would allow 9/11 to happen, or the dreadful attack in San Bernardino, or some of these other places, to show us that we need him. We’re desperate without him.
Why do you believe that it's God's duty to make sure you're happy, healthy and safe? Do you show any regard for him or what he desires?

Old 08-12-2016, 09:21 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well said. There IS a cure for certain kinds of stupid. Deconversion seems to be one.
Education can certainly trump ignorance.

But if a person's IQ hovers around room temperature (Fahrenheit) education has a low ceiling.

The notable deconverts around here all tend to display at least an average level of intelligence and in most cases, well above average. Those who were indoctrinated at a young age but possessed of an active, questioning intellect tend to be those who escape.

But although one must be careful in using the "s" word in regard to fundies, I have no doubt it's applicable in most cases.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:27 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Education can certainly trump ignorance.

But if a person's IQ hovers around room temperature (Fahrenheit) education has a low ceiling.

The notable deconverts around here all tend to display at least an average level of intelligence and in most cases, well above average. Those who were indoctrinated at a young age but possessed of an active, questioning intellect tend to be those who escape.

But although one must be careful in using the "s" word in regard to fundies, I have no doubt it's applicable in most cases.
that's right trout.

There are brains that can remember a list of facts really well and write reel perdy, but due to something, can't or won't properly tie the facts together.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:43 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why do you believe that it's God's duty to make sure you're happy, healthy and safe? Do you show any regard for him or what he desires?
Of course I DON'T believe that, Vizio. And no, I cannot regard that which does not exist in my world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality