Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 09:25 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times

Advertisements

I cannot see in any way shape or form that anyone can condone a law which allows you to beat your child to leave bruises like this in the name of your religion allows it. If it does, your religion is an one whacked out piece of philosophy. However, I am sure there are those on this board which support those kind of laws. Disgusting.

Son had 36 bruises; mom quoted Bible as defense | Religion News Service

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 09:30 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Ah.....now that is some religion! No thanks!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:46 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,809 times
Yet another hit piece by Cupper to bash a specific religion. The hatred is palpable.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:50 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,388,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Yet another hit piece by Cupper to bash a specific religion. The hatred is palpable.
Yet another person who doesn't actually comment on the post itself, and instead cries and whines about religion being called out.....

As to the OP, what a disgusting pile of garbage this woman is. Religious or not, she is a disgusting pile of garbage.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Yet another person who doesn't actually comment on the post itself, and instead cries and whines about religion being called out.....
'Religion' isn't being 'called out', this woman is. No Christian, regardless of Cupper's unsubstantiated accusation, would support such an act. The argument is 'Person 'x' did something horrible, and claims 'Religion x' made her do it, therefore religion x is horrible. This is a fallacious argument, as Christianity does not allow mercilessly beating your child with a coat hanger.

In order to prove this argument, you would have to take the next step and prove that such action is permitted or encouraged by the Christian faith, which it isn't.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
This is not normal behaviour for a Burmese woman. it would take Bible -literalism to bring about evil of this kind, and that's a fact.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
This is not normal behaviour for a Burmese woman. it would take Bible -literalism to bring about evil of this kind, and that's a fact.
Please elaborate this claim. Where does the Scripture literally tell mothers to mercilessly beat their children with coathangers? Perhaps I missed it?

Old 09-01-2016, 10:22 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
'Religion' isn't being 'called out', this woman is. No Christian, regardless of Cupper's unsubstantiated accusation, would support such an act. The argument is 'Person 'x' did something horrible, and claims 'Religion x' made her do it, therefore religion x is horrible. This is a fallacious argument, as Christianity does not allow mercilessly beating your child with a coat hanger.

In order to prove this argument, you would have to take the next step and prove that such action is permitted or encouraged by the Christian faith, which it isn't.

The OP mentions religious faith and did not say himself that it was the Christian religion. There have been numerous examples in the news over the years of children being mistreated, starved and refused medical treatment because of how the parents believe their religious faith means. Does a law that allows you freedom for your religious beliefs need to have an official interpreter of what that faith means? Do those who believe in the OT as still God's word today not have the same rights as a person who thinks that those rules no longer apply? Is it me, you or the Governor who decides which religious interpretation of each verse that would apply?

I think the entire meaning of this thread is not to knock your Christian belief ( I think Cupper does that often enough) but to bring forward the unintended consequences of humans passing laws so that they can use their religion against others. Not all are going to use religion just to discriminate against LBGT people and this case is an excellent example of how a law like this can go astride.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
The OP mentions religious faith and did not say himself that it was the Christian religion. There have been numerous examples in the news over the years of children being mistreated, starved and refused medical treatment because of how the parents believe their religious faith means. Does a law that allows you freedom for your religious beliefs need to have an official interpreter of what that faith means? Do those who believe in the OT as still God's word today not have the same rights as a person who thinks that those rules no longer apply? Is it me, you or the Governor who decides which religious interpretation of each verse that would apply?

I think the entire meaning of this thread is not to knock your Christian belief ( I think Cupper does that often enough) but to bring forward the unintended consequences of humans passing laws so that they can use their religion against others. Not all are going to use religion just to discriminate against LBGT people and this case is an excellent example of how a law like this can go astride.
There are multiple statements made in the context of this story by the OP. The worst is that he (wrongly) assumes that those of faith on these boards would support this woman's actions. This is an inaccurate and obviously biased assumption. This is no different than blaming all Muslims for 9/11.

It is fallacious and it adds to the stereotyping of a group of people based on the actions of a few. This type of bigotry leads to fear and hatred toward a specific group of people who are not homogeneous.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Exactly which religion was I bashing? I was bashing the law. Remedial Comprehension 101 may be an option for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality