Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:32 PM

504 posts, read 300,038 times

Advertisements

The flowchart raises a lot of good points. So, theists, what say you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:27 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
The flowchart raises a lot of good points. So, theists, what say you?
I'm Theist. I perceive a God Entity that comports definitively and objectively exists.
Your flowchart assumes there is such a thing as "evil"...so it messes up right there.
It is illogical from the get-go, and works off the faulty premises that evil actually exists (There isn't a "NO" choice to "Evil Exists"), and "God" is necessarily some "being" like a Religious Deity that can choose to interject in the affairs of humankind. Neither are necessarily so.

What is "evil" and what is "good" is completely subjective. It is conditional, situational, varying from place to place and time to time.
What is considered "good" to one...may be considered "bad" by another...and visa-versa.
For Example: It may be said that shooting a bunch of other people to death is "evil"...placed in a "war" context, and they are the "enemy", it can be claimed to be "good" to do that. Unless one is totally opposed to war...then it is viewed as still "evil".
Some people think it is "evil" to ever criticize, question, or in any way slight their Religious Deity God (some will kill you for doing it)...you obviously don't think so. Get it?
There is no such thing as "Evil".

Also, "God" is not just Religious Deities or Mythical Entities. God can be other than that...as per the full and complete, expert, definition of "God".

Old 01-03-2017, 11:42 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
What is "evil" and what is "good" is completely subjective. It is conditional, situational, varying from place to place and time to time.
Not necessarily. Every human on this earth who has a fully functioning consciousness knows unjust pain and suffering, knows what it's like to be harmed or taken advantage of.

I can't believe you even have to ask what is evil.
  • The Holocaust was evil.
  • A mother handing over their small child for other men to do what they want to it just so the mother can get their drug fix; is evil.
  • Harming animals that can't protect themselves is evil,
  • Harming any innocent human/creature that can't fight back or protect itself; is evil.
  • Marching captive journalists in front of a camera and cutting their heads off is evil.
  • The US government infecting poor uneducated blacks with syphilis is evil. (Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment).

Sure go right ahead and tell me all about the subjectivity in any of the above. And while you're at it...tell me where this all powerful, all knowing, and all loving god is at during all of this?

Do you really need to ask what is evil?

Old 01-04-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Not necessarily. Every human on this earth who has a fully functioning consciousness knows unjust pain and suffering, knows what it's like to be harmed or taken advantage of.

I can't believe you even have to ask what is evil.
  • The Holocaust was evil.
  • A mother handing over their small child for other men to do what they want to it just so the mother can get their drug fix; is evil.
  • Harming animals that can't protect themselves is evil,
  • Harming any innocent human/creature that can't fight back or protect itself; is evil.
  • Marching captive journalists in front of a camera and cutting their heads off is evil.
  • The US government infecting poor uneducated blacks with syphilis is evil. (Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment).

Sure go right ahead and tell me all about the subjectivity in any of the above. And while you're at it...tell me where this all powerful, all knowing, and all loving god is at during all of this?

Do you really need to ask what is evil?
It is STILL subjective. That I or you think it is "evil" is our arbitrary view of it.
Your list looks at it from the "victim" perspective.
*The Nazis saw who they killed as "the enemy" that should be eliminated...they saw it as good.
*Rapists think raping is great...and junkies think getting a fix is great.
*The guy whos fighting pitbull was victorious and won him lots of money thinks it is all "good".
*Sadists dig what they do...it makes them happy, they like it and feel it is wonderful.
*Ask the ISIS guys if they think they are evil...or if they are getting rid of what needed getting rid of? See what they say.
*The scientists doing those STD experiments most likely felt they were working toward the greater good.

Also...you keep noting and questioning the abilities and motives of an Entity you know I don't believe exists.
Very strange that y'all claim you don't think it exists either...but then go on, and on, and on at length and in great detail in critique of its characteristics. That is very illogical, and, in fact, downright ignorant.
But y'all do that constantly...What's up with that?

Old 01-04-2017, 12:45 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,914 times
Whoever used Visio for that flow chart, to quote Charles Barkley, is 'terble' lol

Old 01-04-2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
It is STILL subjective. That I or you think it is "evil" is our arbitrary view of it.
Your list looks at it from the "victim" perspective.
Not so. My list looks at it from an objective truth perspective. Find me one person, other than yourself, who does not view my list as evil.
Quote:
Also...you keep noting and questioning the abilities and motives of an Entity you know I don't believe exists.
I know no such thing about what you believe.
Quote:
Very strange that y'all claim you don't think it exists either...but then go on, and on, and on at length and in great detail in critique of its characteristics.
At great lengths? Hardly so.
Quote:
That is very illogical, and, in fact, downright ignorant.
But y'all do that constantly...What's up with that?
We only question what the christian god claims to be. There's nothing illogical or ignorant about that. If fact to call us names or put us down for questioning this particular god, only shows oppressive cult mentality.

Last edited by Matadora; 01-04-2017 at 01:00 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Not so. My list looks at it from an objective truth perspective. Find me one person, other than yourself, who does not view my list as evil.
I know no such thing about what your believe.
At great lengths? Hardly so.

We only question what the christian god claims to be. There's nothing illogical or ignorant about that. If fact to call us names or put us down for questioning a god only shows cult mentality.
Now you claim "objective truth".
Please substantiate objectively what is or isn't "objective truth" of what is "right/good" or "wrong/bad".
You are working on personal opinion and emotion...not logic.
Consensus, even complete consensus, does not provide "objective truth"...you know that. Your test of finding people that disagree is illogical and proves nothing.
I told you who thinks things on your lists are not evil...the people doing those things...they like it and think it is good to do.

The Christian God (Jehovah, Yahweh, etc) doesn't claim to be anything...he is a metaphorical character in a book written by men a couple thousand years ago.
I see it as strange that y'all critique, analyze, and even get worked up over the cruelty, hedonism, vengefulness, insert a jillion other faults, of Entities you claim you don't believe to even exist.
Then claim it is logical and smart to do it! Wow!

See? This is why I LOVE this board. Where else could I get something like that?!

Old 01-04-2017, 01:28 AM

Quote:
You are working on personal opinion and emotion...not logic.
Not so.

A proposition is generally considered objectively true (to have objective truth) when its truth conditions are met without biases caused by feelings, ideas, opinions, etc., of a sentient subject.
Quote:
Consensus, even complete consensus, does not provide "objective truth"...you know that. Your test of finding people that disagree is illogical and proves nothing.
A proposition is generally considered objectively true (to have objective truth) when its truth conditions are met without biases caused by feelings, ideas, opinions, etc., of a sentient subject.
Quote:
I told you who thinks things on your lists are not evil...the people doing those things...they like it and think it is good to do.
You're no mind reader...so don't try and pretend to be one. You don't know what those people thought.
Quote:
The Christian God (Jehovah, Yahweh, etc) doesn't claim to be anything.
Sure it does...according to the bible...and many of it's followers also claim the same thing...odd but they do!
Quote:
I see it as strange that y'all critique, analyze, and even get worked up over the cruelty, hedonism, vengefulness, insert a jillion other faults, of Entities you claim you don't believe to even exist.
You mistake questioning/calling out rubbish, as critiques, and getting worked up over? It's clear that you do a very poor job at inferring what others are actually doing.
Quote:
Then claim it is logical and smart to do it! Wow!
Ascribing positions to others that they don't hold puts you in the spotlight...not in a good way.
Quote:
See? This is why I LOVE this board. Where else could I get something like that?!
Simply via the figments of your imagination.

Last edited by Matadora; 01-04-2017 at 01:36 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 03:13 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
God gave the earth to man , so if man needs a better world then He will have to fix it ...... If man cannot fix it than He can turn to God and ask Him to fix it ...... So if you need God than He will need you

Old 01-04-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God gave the earth to man,
Sure
Quote:
so if man needs a better world then He will have to fix it
LOL then what is man waiting for? It's been a looooooooong time coming!
Quote:
If man cannot fix it than He can turn to God and ask Him to fix it.
People have been praying and asking for this for eons...therefore it's clear god does not listen or better yet there is no god.
Quote:
So if you need God than He will need you
Sadly this is not the case. Many folks believe in this imaginary god but get no results from it...only empty wishful thinking and "feel good" wishful thinking.

Instead of wishful thinking get up off of your duff and put forth the effort and work to make the changes that need to be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality