Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:11 PM

140 posts, read 205,111 times

Advertisements

Human beings have been recognized as "too complex and too meaningful" by some people, and that had lead to certain conclusions by the same group of people.

What about those other things? Are there things that are "too simple and too meaningless"?

Maybe some examples will help. Please identify the followings in terms of their meaningfulness and complexity (or their lack of). And please explain how you have reached such conclusions. Provide good reasoning, and refrain from using simple concluding sentences like "don't mean a thing to me", "there's nothing to it".

A). Hurricane
B). Bacteria
C). Water
D). Rock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
Way over my head.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
DFW123 wrote:
Quote:
A). Hurricane
B). Bacteria
C). Water
D). Rock
I'm really not sure what you're getting at but it seems to have something to do with complexity. Only one of the four examples is a living thing that is able to reproduce and is in a completely different category than the other three. A hurricane is a fairly well understood weather phenomenon in which the heat from ocean waters creates conditions that cause severe winds which can cause extensive damage but will weaken very quickly once they're over land. Water is just H2O, a combination of hydrogen and oxygen which is necessary for the existence of life as we know it and is also one of the most abundant things on our planet. A rock is solidified molten material that could be made up of any number of materials or combinations of materials.
I'm not sure what you mean by "too simple and too meaningless". It might be helpful if you could clarify the issue a little more, I'm not getting the point but I suspect it might be something about living things as opposed to nonliving things but I'm just taking a guess.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times
Hurricane: A simple condition where an atmospheric low pressure system will feed on the heat in the ocean; which results in increased wind speed, and large collections of moisture in the atmosphere. Global warming may redefine how large a hurricane can grow in the future.

Bacteria: A simple life form which can do good in some situations, and swing an angry sword in other situations. Without Bacteria we would have no cheese. That would be a sad situation. The killing side of bacteria is a two edged sword. I remember when my grandfather died of a bacterial pneumonia after a long battle with cancer. That bacterium was his friend. I have also watched it take lives way too soon.

Water: one part oxygen two parts hydrogen in its liquid state. What could be simpler?

Rock: Not enough information are we talking music, minerals, or what I do on my back deck.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM

cncracer wrote:
Quote:
Rock: Not enough information are we talking music, minerals, or what I do on my back deck.
Oh, now I get it! Jimi Hendrix, now that's rock, and I even saw him live once, very complex and very meaningful.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 PM

140 posts, read 205,111 times
Well, what I'm trying to get at is: some people say humans are too complex and too meaningful, therefore God created humans (their logic). Did God create other things (by the same logic)? If he did, what are the meanings?

(That is a well-known frequently used phrase by religious people, I did not know I have to explain it)

Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
Well, what I'm trying to get at is: some people say humans are too complex and too meaningful, therefore God created humans (their logic). Did God create other things (by the same logic)? If he did, what are the meanings?

(That is a well-known frequently used phrase by religious people, I did not know I have to explain it)
Well DFW I guess you had better explain it. Some of us atheist don’t keep up with the "in style" religious phrases.
To answer your question everything is simple. It has been simple all along and was just waiting for us to understand it.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 PM

DFW123 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying, I thought that's probably what you were getting at. The thing about living organisms is that in order to exist they require an environment which of course is made up of mostly nonliving things such as the earth itself, air, water, minerals, and all of the essentials that are necessary for life to emerge. Yes life is complex, but certainly doesn't require some sort of divine intervention to come into existence. We've had a great many threads on evolution, one of my favorite topics, and there's no question that it is a scientific fact. We still don't understand the processes that nonliving material went through to become single celled life but we have a good understanding of single celled life from it's beginnings to the present day and new discoveries are being made all the time that reveal that life is the result of natural processes and not the result of anything miraculous or supernatural.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:17 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post

I suspect the faithful will say all the simpler things in life (rocks, etc.) were created for man to use and abuse at his expense.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,216,945 times
A). Hurricane - judgment against teh wikked southerners for (insert reason here) livin below see levul
B). Bacteria - small critters that I no nuthin about if I canna see it it doesn't exist
C). Water - for baptizmz
D). Rock(s) - fer stoning teh wikked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality