Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:25 PM

45 posts, read 141,939 times

Advertisements

Why does Christianity seem to be the only religion discussed in this forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 09:32 PM

125 posts, read 472,059 times
Most religions in America are "Christ" centered. Some religions are considered a race, like being Jewish or Muslim. I think this forum is pretty open to anyone who wants to discuss any type of religion.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,624,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessD View Post
Why does Christianity seem to be the only religion discussed in this forum?
Probably because two-thirds or more of the folks posting on here are Christian, of one stripe or another, and then there are a number of Atheists, and Agnostics. So, these seem to be the strongest areas for discussion, (ahem, sometimes rather heated discussion). Personally, I would love to see information and discussion about other religious beliefs. Always like to learn new things, ideas, philosophies, etc. I may not always post, myself, on a thread concerning something new to me, (there were a couple of recent posts about Islam), because I don't know that much, and feel I can't intelligently discuss these, but I always read them, just so I can try to learn something.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:42 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,735,567 times
To reiterate what others have said, most people are Christian or agnostic/atheist here so it wouldn't quite make as much sense for them to discuss a religion they don't really know much about as opposed to one they practice or are familiar with.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,301,027 times
I personally would like to hear more about people who are Pagan however christians tend to WANT to believe they are worshipping the devil (which is not true) so they often are affraid to say anything.

I call myself Atheist...I don't believe in christianity for many reasons but one of the BIG sticking points is how patriarchal it is...thats the reason I find Paganism so interesting.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,790,677 times
What religion would you like to discuss? I am sure if you start there, people will respond.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:07 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,194,737 times
Because in America, when people say religion they mean Christianity. Same goes for those who talk about "religious freedoms". You can be sure they mean Christian freedoms, not the freedoms of Islam, Hinduism, etc.
To use Christianity everywhere the word religion is used would only show how saturated this country is.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:11 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,735,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Because in America, when people say religion they mean Christianity. Same goes for those who talk about "religious freedoms".
I'm not Christian and I'm afraid I have to reject this assessment. When people say religion, they mean religion. That does not change even when the majority of people are indeed Christian. But what are you going to do? Most people who are here have a European background and they were, gasp, Christian. As for religious freedoms, I delved into Wicca, Catholicism, and Buddhism alike and never felt persecution of any sort. Granted, there were the little holier-than-thou snots that didn't know anything about what it meant to be "Christian", much less anything about any of the 3 I messed around with, but that's from personal ignorance and complexes---not so much one that comes from this country.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,631,496 times
JessD, I think you got some good advice on those posts. Any religious topic is welcome and it might be a refreshing change from the same old arguments that we never seem to get settled that involve Christianity. Feel free to bring up any topic on any religion, that could be interesting.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:07 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,108,794 times
One of the things I like best about this site is the chance to exchange information and learn. I haven't posted in the religion topic for a while, but I'm reading! I agree completely that you can post topics other than christianity, and I'm sure you'll get responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality