Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 04:21 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

What I mean is...there is a pure longing...a thirst that is in your heart.
Your path...does it fulfill that thirst?

Only you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 08:11 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Now, after deleted a few posts, let's see if this thread can proceed on topic.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:00 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,882 times
Also, for food for thought, even if one rejects all concepts of sin but only views things in a more secular term of psychological issue and an issue of acting or not acting within the bounds of city (this is City-Data after all) state, or national laws, the FBI has forensic psychologist that study and help investigate serial killers.

What does this have to do with the thread? Well... even if one is soooo far liberal as an agnostic or atheist and do not subscribe to the concept of sin, or demonic influences on a person, from a purely secular view of desires the FBI notes that most serial killers start torturing animals as children. Yes, as children. However, the FBI notes not every child that routinely tortures animals for enjoyment, out of deep desire to do so, eventually turns into a serial killer as an adult.

That is coming from the FBI and not me.

A Protestant layman that was the president of his church was convicted as the infamous BTK serial killer. He even took one corpse into his church at night to photograph when no one was there.

Evil does exist. The world is not all cotton candy. A notion any adult should have given up after they outgrew childhood.

Just because someone has a deep desire does not mean it is good (nor that it can't negatively impact or harm one or more people). If you are a grown man and have some desire to abduct a child, hiding them locked in your basement, well you not only negatively impact that child you negatively impact that child's parents, siblings, aunts and uncles, friends, school teachers and so forth.

Not every desire need be given into. Nothing wrong with questioning if a deep desire we have is good or not. It may be good. Or it may be bad.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:06 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Well Frogburn, you got your rocks off now so how about answering the question? Not all atheist are liberal either.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:14 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What I mean is...there is a pure longing...a thirst that is in your heart.

Only you know.
That's actually.... not a question. And I have to agree. No one, but no one else will know. As we are all created different. None of us is cookie cuttered. Creator does not need robots. Creator needs more creators, to keep perfecting perfectness of creation.
So though we all may take on different paths, they will all lead to same result. As all rivers fall into the same ocean and ocean water tastes same salty no matter where it is tasted.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:53 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
SECOND and LAST mod cut:

Nearly all the posts in this thread have had to be deleted so far. From this point on, any post that does not seriously address the OP will be infracted. The OP deserves to be respected as a viable topic for discourse.

~June

Old 02-03-2017, 03:04 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
To know the love of God people need to be saved , as the world does not bring a spiritual embed of love in the heart like God does , as the world can only see what in it for me I mine , and could reject love if it does not fulfill the heart ............... Then there is religion of the world which God may be absent , but people are attracted to the passion of the faith , so is the passion based of self , or what others may see as they look for acceptance in their faith is the love

Old 02-03-2017, 04:50 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I had a few gois at a post but the best I can come up with is: striving for what fulfills our mind (the heart just pumps blood) is what makes us human. What fulfills it just like that is probably a too easy solution. It's one with a venerable tradition of various recluses, hermits and monks. But one think I note is that they rely on others to provide, or they'd starve.

There is the other aspect of the easy answer to the big questions, but there to too easy answer has the problem that, if you believe you know all you need to, you have no urge to look further, and indeed woiuld angrily resits the idea that you need to.

That, as I say, strikes me as a negation of what makes us human. It may suit others, but it don't suit me.

That takes care of the test, too, if it is a test of what provides the feeling of "It's all I need; I don't need anything more". Like I say, it may provide an opt out of wondering and questioning, and it may suit others, but it is just that - not an Answer, but a giving up on the question.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:33 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,237 times
IMO, most people are too preoccupied with fulfilling material desires/needs to give spirituality much thought. Just the process of reproduction and family limits individuals from striving for personal desires over that of unity or commune with a society. IMO, it's how well we find contentment in our nice/not so nice cages.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What I mean is...there is a pure longing...a thirst that
is in your heart.
Only you know.
I have many friends that are on various paths...Buddhism, meditation with no denomination,
Christianity- and all the different ideas in that religion, they may follow some yogi's books or they
live as agnostics.
So many express to me their general unhappiness in life.
So my point was to bring into focus the pure longing...the basic core desire for love and happiness...
it could be called union with God or the experience of Home or Heaven...whatever ones may call 'it'....
It is in each of us.

Does your particular path fulfill that in you...so that you approach each day with contentment
and peace? Some might say purpose and clarity?

Because, I'll tell ya...if mine did not ...I would not be on it.

***Since this is in the Religion and Spirituality Section, I truly thought this would be taken as the spiritual pull of the soul or heart or spirit....sorry if I did not make that clear.***

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 02-03-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality