Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:07 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Why was Canaan, the son of Ham's cursed by Noah? What the heck did Canaan do? After all, it was Noah who go drunk, and disrobed. Ham found him, Noah was embarrassed, and cursed his own grandson to be a slave?
What's up with that? Does anyone think this can any way be moral? What lessons are we do learn from this?
Discuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Hmmm.....consider this. There was a man in the NT who saw His father's nakedness. It's a Jewish idiom for sleeping with his father's wife. Paul had him turned over to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, that his soul might be saved. Peace
This ^^^^ Ham slept with his own mother and Canaan when born would be his son and step-brother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The fact that his grandson was not even born yet, tells me that the story is fiction.
That is the point, Noah knew his wife would produce Canaan after Ham's insemination.
Quote:
So, no one wants to take a stab at the original questions. Why?
If you see no moral issue in the above, I doubt I could explain it to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 11:40 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
Why was Canaan, the son of Ham's cursed by Noah? What the heck did Canaan do? After all, it was Noah who go drunk, and disrobed. Ham found him, Noah was embarrassed, and cursed his own grandson to be a slave?
What's up with that? Does anyone think this can any way be moral? What lessons are we do learn from this?
Discuss.

first I think you have it all backwards.
ok so if you go visit greek mythology and realize these people were real people memorialized as god's but most likely were true just ancestors .
I suspect that Canaan Killed Ham for his filth( what may have been actually a raping his mother )which probably really the sin of uncovering your father s nakedness. but I can't prove it!

I think this is the greek version of that story, that Ham is Crono's and someone castrated him. so did Canaan castrate Ham for his sins? and God gave him a blessing for it..
Cronos raped someone and that is why he got castrated. so I think there is just lots more to history than what is recorded. and we have to hunt Myths for hints .

but I think there that so called curse is really a promise that they will be in the numbers saved by the Lord.
so we will see who is right , if it is a curse or was it a promises for salvation and that they would also dwell in the tabernacles of the righteous when most of mankind is not going to be there .

maybe there will be more of them there because they learned to be faithful as servants. just like there will be 7 women to one man .. because the women learned their lessons as servants. Native people understand that the leader is the best servant / the one who gives the most is made leader because he knows how to produce something of value... the best husband is the best servant to his family and his wife .. these are the men will be lifted up . women who placed their husbands and children above themselves will be rewarded with awesome jobs and responsibility FOR LIFE and for health . because they learned to be faithful and full of faith.
these righteous men will be servants to all and will be found in the tabernacles of the righteous. so yes men will think that was a curse.. but I don't think it was a curse but was a promise. so we will see .

Old 03-29-2017, 05:30 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Yes, it confirms what I said. Why just give a bible/OT quote, rather than answering the question.
I gave a Tanakh quote...Did you read Rashi?...

Old 03-29-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
So, no one wants to take a stab at the original questions. Why?
It seemed that Canaan castrated Noach, thereby preventing him from having more children...

Old 03-29-2017, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
it matters not if your father is an alcoholic a drug addict or a cun, you must always respect your father, it doesn't mean that you are going to obey him in everything neither that you are going to imitate himin everything, it means that you are not going to loose respect for him.

now said that Noah was drunk and naked, and one of his descendants far from feeling sad for his parent situation and feel compeled to aproach him and help him to fix the thing, he laughed on him. that way he broke the bonds of Love and gratitude that a son must always have for his father.

None of the ten commandments tells You shall not drink alcohol, but the most important commandment after the theological ones is about respecting and honoring your parents.
You're totally off on this one...

Old 03-29-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This ^^^^ Ham slept with his own mother and Canaan when born would be his son and step-brother.
That is the point, Noah knew his wife would produce Canaan after Ham's insemination.
If you see no moral issue in the above, I doubt I could explain it to you.
Canaan was already born....

Old 03-29-2017, 08:19 AM

504 posts, read 300,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It seemed that Canaan castrated Noach, thereby preventing him from having more children...
It seemed? Where? How could you draw that conclusion... Canaan had nothing to do with the situation except to be damned to be a slave.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Any one of the many wives that his father might have at the same time.
Except I don't think polygamy was legal in Rome. So by the time of Paul, Rome's standard would have been spread around the conquered Mediterranean.

And the story is clearly NOT about "sleeping with your mother" unless that deserves for an unrelated offspring of the culprit to be cursed into slavery and then for racists and slavers to use that as an excuse to enslave people with darker skin.

The story is about Ham telling his brothers that his father Noah ("chosen moral person" of El/Yahweh) was a dumb, naked drunk. His brothers actually respecting and feeling sorry for their father, and covering him without looking at him (lest they judge his size, I suppose). Then Noah cursing Canaan (I am told: already born before this incident) simply to spite Ham. TRIBALISM/RACISM "morality." It follows a common trend. When David messes something up, Yahweh "punishes" David by having his recently born baby get sick and die. In the story of Job, when Job was being tested by the Enemy/Prosecutor, Yahweh had his wives and children be sickened and killed. Job is then supposed to be thankful to Yahweh because Yahweh had planned on replacing them with more (different) wives and more (different) children all along. The theme is that you should hurt the children to punish the parents. "Hurting" people for any reason as "being moral" doesn't make any sense (especially when you are all-powerful) unless there are no better choices (such as for a time-constrained, otherwise-incapable, and worldly human). And as a psychological deterrent, hurting the children to punish the parents only works on parents that are deeply invested in their children.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-29-2017 at 12:50 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 02:41 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
In Genesis 9:24.....says ``And Noah awoke from his wine , and knew what His younger son had done to him ``............. See the only possible thing Canaan did was to take Noah pants off .......................................The biggest problem for God was He Just cleaned the earth of all the evil , and the devil had No spiritual authority in the earth as a result of the demise of man , and here was Noah cursing his grandson inviting the devil right back into the earth with the sin of cursing

Old 03-29-2017, 03:40 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Canaan was already born....
According to the Torah? or the Tanakh? or Rabbinical commentary????? It is certainly not according to the OT bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality