Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 05:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

In the war for America's soul/psyche, I'd root for the secular humanists -- if they numbered enough to form a battalion, let alone an army.

But they don't.

It's a war between sensible, educated, empathetic, "liberal" Christians and the ones who elected Trump.

I'm walking with Christians, Atheists, Muslims, Jews, Pagans, Agnostics and Others who believe tolerance and empathy trump (sorry) bigotry and judgment.

So, yeah Mystic, I hope the good Christians win.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:18 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
yup God does still speak today, yet many today would rather dwell on 2000+ year old mana.

I love that 2000+ year old manna, because I feast on fresh hidden manna as the Spirit reveals it, every day. His children never go begging for bread. Peace

Old 05-21-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I love that 2000+ year old manna, because I feast on fresh hidden manna as the Spirit reveals it, every day. His children never go begging for bread. Peace
But those who eat what you eat turn into the kind of people who burn books.

I'd rather beg for bread.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:02 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
But those who eat what you eat turn into the kind of people who burn books.

I'd rather beg for bread.

Yep, I'll obey the Spirit any day to save a soul from destruction and degradation. Peace

Old 05-22-2017, 09:03 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Yep, I'll obey the Spirit any day to save a soul from destruction and degradation. Peace
Yes That is the problem with "Do unto others what you would have them do unto you". Something of an inversion of the golden rule as, being unpacked, it translates as "Do unto others what you think they should have, not what they want". It can be a green light for forced conversions for the good of their souls.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes That is the problem with "Do unto others what you would have them do unto you". Something of an inversion of the golden rule as, being unpacked, it translates as "Do unto others what you think they should have, not what they want". It can be a green light for forced conversions for the good of their souls.
Yep. Such primitive, superstitious beliefs are dangerous to individuals and society. Thankfully, few have devolved to the level of burning books.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:37 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times
Quote:
Is that why it is all true even if the book is wrong?

Why is it every atheist automatically runs to a fundamental understanding and then promotes that understanding as though all Christians hold to the fundy's idea of everything.

You know very well that not all Christians believe everything in the bible is true.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:47 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times
Quote:

In fact it is easy. One simply declines to credit one religion and more than another and one easily talks about a possible creator, Cosmic mind - pantheist or deist -god. But it seems to me that some people just have to drag the trappings of organized religion and Holy books into it.

And I'd better leave it there - this really isn't a thread for me.

Well is not atheism in itself a religion?

Almost all atheist will jump in and say no

Yet A.angle and atheist himself say atheism is a religion.

Because of his stance on this he has been told he is not really an atheist.

Well here is the thing. If one can be excluded from a set of beliefs those beliefs are a religion.

It is no different then when fundamental Christians tell me I am not really a Christian because I don't agree with their views.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yep. Such primitive, superstitious beliefs are dangerous to individuals and society. Thankfully, few have devolved to the level of burning books.
I still remember seeing a you tube of KJV enthusiasts happily burning BIBLES. I'm a god -dammed unbeliever, but I was shocked!

Old 05-22-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Well is not atheism in itself a religion?

Almost all atheist will jump in and say no

Yet A.angle and atheist himself say atheism is a religion.

Because of his stance on this he has been told he is not really an atheist.

Well here is the thing. If one can be excluded from a set of beliefs those beliefs are a religion.

It is no different then when fundamental Christians tell me I am not really a Christian because I don't agree with their views.
In all the usual usages, atheism is not a religion. Almost all atheists will say no.

You are making a case -study of Arach. Well, I may be wrong about him. I'm always willing to be wrong. He is in fact an unusual case, so hardly to be taken as a Rule.

You have to bear in mind that there are god -believers who are yet not religious; they believe there is a god but have no time for organized religions. They often call themselves agnostics, deists, maybe pantheist. And they may stand with us in ticking he "None" box or fight us, fang and talon, on First -Cause -God. They are still not in a 'Religion'.

Now Arach is in that bracket, or just getting into it as his postings suggests that he has a god -faith in search of a plausible object.

But even if he does find it, that won't make him religious. Not even Goldenrule is religious. So you see, you have got a bit of an irreligious buffer zone between atheism and religion.

No. Atheism is not a religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality