Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:47 AM

70 posts, read 65,225 times

Advertisements

Ive Been going to church the majority of my life and I've honestly haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. A few weird sermons but. Ive never seen like a fight or anything.. Crazy stories.....share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 04:00 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,620,833 times
I have been to trustee meeting once. It was ok, until the group prayer started. About a dozen of people. At the end, they decided that they can speak in tongues. THAT did it. That was the last they saw me as trustee and helper.

Oh, another thing. Not really crazy, just really hypocritical. Watch people when they pray in church. They usually close their eyes. Well, evangelical churches I've been to do. I don't, I go there strictly out of respect to say my son. So I watch people.
This is what happens. Arms up, eyes closed, loud or quiet prayer. Then, there is that "check environment" glance. Eyes open, do quick spying around - back to closed eyes and "exalted" look. Another check. It's like they are checking "how do I look" thing. You know what they say. Eyes are mirror of the soul. Those eyes have no prayer, no faith in them.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:24 PM

566 posts, read 678,629 times
A couple of out of the ordinary things I've seen happen in a church was, during a Catholic mass one day, the communion table was positioned in the middle of the wide center aisle, with the bowl of communion hosts and wine on top of it. I noticed a man approach the table, take a handful of the hosts, and proceed to eat them like they were potato chips. He looked hungry, and as he was being led away from the table, he still tried to reach for more.

Another out of the ordinary thing that happened in church, happened to me. Years ago, I arrived for a church service in my city, that was supposed to be led by a then well-known, traveling, pastor, named Leroy Jenkins. I was informed as I sat there alone, that Pastor Jenkins had to go to jail for something he did wrong. The church elders then approached me and asked me if I would like to meet Pastor Jenkin's mother in another room. I thought she looked just like an ordinary mom or grandma. She smiled at me, then suddenly, she reached her hand out toward my for-head, and touched me lightly on my for-head. I still do not know how this woman did it, but her light touch filled my entire being with a love, bliss, and joy, I have never felt before. I smiled and looked at the elders, and saw that these grown men were crying. I felt this way all day and night. The feeling eventually subsided, and I did not return to their crusade.

Last edited by glenninindy; 06-11-2017 at 06:04 PM..

Old 06-11-2017, 06:39 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
A couple of out of the ordinary things I've seen happen in a church was, during a Catholic mass one day, the communion table was positioned in the middle of the wide center aisle, with the bowl of communion hosts and wine on top of it. I noticed a man approach the table, take a handful of the hosts, and proceed to eat them like they were potato chips. He looked hungry, and as he was being led away from the table, he still tried to reach for more.
Our family was at a Catholic wedding when the kids were little. Our littlest - must've been two or maybe three - had to go to the bathroom. As I walked him there, he spied the host in a bowl and, apparently being hungry and opportunistic, reached out suddenly for what he clearly perceived as potato chips or snack crackers. Fortunately, I saw this and quickly steered him out of reach.

I may be an atheist, but I know a faux pas when I see one. Still, the memory never fails to bring a smile to my face...

Old 06-11-2017, 08:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post

Another out of the ordinary thing that happened in church, happened to me. Years ago, I arrived for a church service in my city, that was supposed to be led by a then well-known, traveling, pastor, named Leroy Jenkins.

Leeeeeeeeroy!

Off topic, but at least I have chicken.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:39 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
I've never seen it in person, but it's the speaking in tongues nonsense that I can't even follow. I get weirded out seeing it recorded. I can't even imagine seeing it in person.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:37 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,092,120 times
There was a guy who worked in a church as a helper of some sort, I don't exactly know what was his role or designation but we used to have long chats.

He once told me that Church is the best place to pick women. And I was like, what the heck??

Old 06-12-2017, 05:40 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
Crazy stories.....share!
How about millions of people talking to something for which there is no verifiable evidence for. That sure is crazy to me! Church... a place where people who have never been to heaven describe what it's like to people who will never get there.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:53 AM

993 posts, read 1,768,373 times
My sister passed out and peed herself during the prayers of the people once haha. She was kneeling in the pew and then snorted, tipped over on grandma, and peed her pants. Obviously, there was no crazy spiritual reason to cause her fainting. She just hadn't eaten breakfast and had an underlying issue.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
When I was a child I was with my mother at mass (old Latin mass in the Forties or early Fifties.) When it came time for the gospel reading the congregation stood, but my mother was daydreaming and didn't, nor did I as Mommy didn't. After the gospel was read the people sat down for the reading from the epistles. The gospel reading the that day was an usually short two or three liner. The congregation started sitting down, but my mother came to and shot to her feet, jerking me up beside her. We were the only two standing in the entire crowded church.

My mother glanced around, said, "Oh, sh*t!" very out loud, and we sat down. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality