Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 11:16 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
No I am saying I simply don't know. If I saw someone rise from the dead even though science could not explain I would believe what I saw regardless of what science said.
Were not talking about what you saw. We are talking about what is described in scripture and your "guide" how to determine what is real and literal in scripture which you offer in the opening post as the topic for this thread.

I agree with what you just said, that "you simply do not know."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 11:39 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Were not talking about what you saw. We are talking about what is described in scripture and your "guide" how to determine what is real and literal in scripture which you offer in the opening post as the topic for this thread.

I agree with what you just said, that "you simply do not know."
ok you believe people can be raised from the dead by faith, then what is stopping you from putting your faith into action? where is the evidence of the faith you hold? action of faith speak louder then words of faith tza.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:02 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
See here is where we part ways. I am not trying to prove God exists yet you keep insisting that I have to.
I know you aren't. But without existence, what is the point?

Quote:
And your version of God is the fundamental version as seen in you take on God and Jesus being the same being and that you hold to many different gods. there is only one God imo.

it is hard enough speaking with atheist as it is let alone when they add their own concept of God into the equation.
Feel free to correct my misconceptions. What concept of god would you like to discuss? And because I cannot resist, do you have any way of proving the existence of that concept?

Old 07-02-2017, 12:12 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
All those advances etc etc are not fufiling people or making them happy. Have you noticed the sky rocketing depression and anxiety we have in the west,the USA has some of the highest depression rates in the world and have you noticed how tradtional tribal societies have zero depression,no anorexia,no bulimia,no self harmers,no epidemic suicide.Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for 15 to 24-year-olds and 2nd for 24 to 35-year-olds.
If you ask me we ought to go back to worshipping the moon and living with the cycles of life again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I understand your point, and I think that your point is further evidence against the existence of god.

In 2000 years we have made incredible progress in virtually every discipline. Metallurgy has advanced from iforging iron to aircraft aluminum, titanium composites and carbon fiber. Medicine has advanced from trepanation and leeches to organ transplants and MRIs. Chemistry has advanced from alchemy to pharmaceuticals, preservatives, fire retardants....

We have created and made huge progress in new disciplines. Semiconductors became integrated circuits to today's highly advanced computer chips that support dozens of programming languages and store humanities accumulated knowledge in the cloud, alongside cat videos and naked selfies.

Archaeology has given us information on our own ancestors. Astronomy has detected planets around other stars. Nuclear physics has allowed us to release energy from elements we didn't even know existed.

Then we come to religion. We haven't advanced enough to fill the back of a postcard with accomplishments. We don't have proof of a soul, or god, or good and evil. We don't have proof of the truth of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, or Taoism. 2000 or more years, and what do we have to show for it? Some sects have disappeared, others have been founded.

If nothing has advanced n the understanding of religion over the same time that we have done so many other things in so many other fiekds, doesn't this show the bankruptcy of the entire concept?

Old 07-02-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
All those advances etc etc are not fufiling people or making them happy. Have you noticed the sky rocketing depression and anxiety we have in the west,the USA has some of the highest depression rates in the world and have you noticed how tradtional tribal societies have zero depression,no anorexia,no bulimia,no self harmers,no epidemic suicide.
If you ask me we ought to go back to worshipping the moon and living with the cycles of life again.
I never claimed that technological advance solved all problems.

That is a red herring though. I simply described technological progress as an example of what could be done in 2000 years if there was something valid to work with. Since religion doesn't have a similar its of accomplishments, the logical conclusion is that there was never anything real there to work with.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:32 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I know you aren't. But without existence, what is the point?

Feel free to correct my misconceptions. What concept of god would you like to discuss? And because I cannot resist, do you have any way of proving the existence of that concept?

Oh I believe God exists FB just don't have the evidence to prove to you he exists.

The thread is not about anyone's concept of God its about looking at the scripture in a different light instead of just literally.

However my concept of God is one of love for all of humanity.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:41 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Oh I believe God exists FB just don't have the evidence to prove to you he exists.

The thread is not about anyone's concept of God its about looking at the scripture in a different light instead of just literally.

However my concept of God is one of love for all of humanity.
That would be the God I would want.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Ok. I always find it fascinating when people believe without good reason.

Quote:
Fair enough. I don't have any interest in looking at the scriptures. There is really no reason to do so without some proof that some portions have truth to them.

Have a good evening.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:39 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
...However my concept of God is one of love for all of humanity.
Except for those whose path to God is through religion

Quote:
...Religion sucks in my opinion....

Old 07-02-2017, 09:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Except for those whose path to God is through religion
Again, you misrepresent another's view.

One can believe in a loving God who even loves those stuck in primeval rites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality