Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 03:25 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,307,845 times

Advertisements

Here's one point of view, (from a Christian perspective, of course!)

Question: "How does God judge those who were raised in non-Christian cultures and have been taught their entire life that their own religion (such as Islam or Hinduism) is correct, and Christianity is wrong?"

Quote:
Answer: This question presupposes that the ability to be saved is dependent upon where we are born, how we are raised and what we are taught. The lives of millions of people who have come out of false religions—or no religion at all—through the centuries clearly refute this idea. Heaven is not the eternal dwelling place of those who were fortunate enough to be raised in Christian homes in free nations, but of those who came to Christ from “every tribe and language and people and nation” (Revelation 5:9).
Click link for full text.

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 07-01-2017 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Added quote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:14 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,064,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeBV View Post
So far the responders have missed the core premise of the video.

You are the religion where you are born, the religion of the greater society you live in. Born in Ireland in 1922? You were Catholic. Born outside of Bavaria in 1937? Most likely Lutheran. Born in Calcutta in almost any year? Hindu. Born in the Middle East in the 1930's? Almost certainly a Muslim. Etc. etc.

You are the religion that you are most likely not of a conversion into that religion, but because of where you were born. Doesn't that create some questions in your mind of your faith?
It certainly does. I was raised as a Roman Catholic, converting to atheism when I was 18. Although this was pre-internet, I still had societal advantages that permitted me to do this. I lived in a pluralistic society with multiple denominations of Christianity, a smattering of non-Christian religions, and libraries fill of books.

I was able to take advantage of this setting to convert from my birth religion, but if I had been raised in the 1700's, I believe I would have lived and did in the religion of my birth due to limited exposure to other options.

If religion is that closely tied to time and setting, it calls into question one of two things. Either a god does not care about worship in a particular manner, or is powerless to show his true nature and existence, with the result being that manmade religions look just as s valid as the One, True Religion, whatever that might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I read the full linked page and found it unconvincing. In summary, the apologetic says that everybody gets the chance to be saved by Christianity. The problem remains that real world results show that your chances of being a self described devout Christian is much, much greater if you are born in a Christian culture. That shows a certain inequity in the entire process.

Is your God inherently unfair? Your apologetic when compared to real world results would seem to show that he is.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:29 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,559,845 times
Quote:
So far the responders have missed the core premise of the video.

You are the religion where you are born, the religion of the greater society you live in. Born in Ireland in 1922? You were Catholic. Born outside of Bavaria in 1937? Most likely Lutheran. Born in Calcutta in almost any year? Hindu. Born in the Middle East in the 1930's? Almost certainly a Muslim. Etc. etc.

You are the religion that you are most likely not of a conversion into that religion, but because of where you were born. Doesn't that create some questions in your mind of your faith?
The core premise of the video is that there is no God, gods or the spiritual. One only believes what belief system in which they were raised. All religion is a fable and we all need to embrace materialism. See I actually did watch the whole video. Did you? This idea is so 1990 and only holds water in the atheist mind.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:32 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times
As distinct from we should worship a god, follow the Holy book and let religious authority tell us how the live. The idea is so 1990 B.B.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
As distinct from we should worship a god, follow the Holy book and let religious authority tell us how the live. The idea is so 1990 B.B.
Is B.B. a British term?

Old 07-01-2017, 08:46 PM

105 posts, read 53,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The core premise of the video is that there is no God, gods or the spiritual. One only believes what belief system in which they were raised. All religion is a fable and we all need to embrace materialism. See I actually did watch the whole video. Did you? This idea is so 1990 and only holds water in the atheist mind.
Yes, I watched it at least twice. You may feel that the end conclusion is the core, but it is not. The core is that you as a person are most likely to be the religion the majority society you are born and raised in practice. That does lead to a logical conclusion though, doesn't it?

Old 07-01-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, I watched it at least twice. You may feel that the end conclusion is the core, but it is not. The core is that you as a person are most likely to be the religion the majority society you are born and raised in practice. That does lead to a logical conclusion though, doesn't it?
In some people's minds, but truth be told the narrator at the end of the video says we should forget spiritual notions and embrace scientific materialism.

That's usually how it goes with any instructional videos. Say A,B andC then the conclusion at the end saying this is my point and if you're smart you'll agree with me. Nothing wrong with that, but your video is no different. Please watch it again an see what the narrator says at the end. His point is that religion is false.

I was raised atheist. Became Christian.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times
Quote:
Is B.B. a British term?
Yes. It is short for B. BS.

Quote:
In some people's minds, but truth be told the narrator at the end of the video says we should forget spiritual notions and embrace scientific materialism.

That's usually how it goes with any instructional videos. Say A,B andC then the conclusion at the end saying this is my point and if you're smart you'll agree with me. Nothing wrong with that, but your video is no different. Please watch it again an see what the narrator says at the end. His point is that religion is false.

I was raised atheist. Became Christian.
I have never heard an atheist to Christian conversion story that seemed to be for good, valid reasons. Even if it was for understandable reasons.

On the other hand, Christian to atheist deconversion stories are very often for the same very good reason - they tried to convince others it was true by showing their belief was soundly based and ended up by realizing that it wasn't. I might mention Rachel Slick in particular, because thereafter there was a whole flurry of dishonest Christian apologetics accusing her of deconverting for personal reasons, even though her explanation bit by bit showed it wasn't rebellion against a strict and controlling father.

Truly, there's none so blind as those who refuse to believe it, even when they see it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-02-2017 at 04:40 AM..

Old 07-02-2017, 08:50 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,095,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's like saying that there are no religious differences (or they should be disregarded -or not used as an argument against religion, more like) because they all at base agree on god -belief.
I have not seen the video but aren't there different types of Atheists as well? I think I have seen a few different definitions of Atheism where one Atheist does not fully agree with another Atheist when it comes to explaining the Atheism.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:06 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,064,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I have not seen the video but aren't there different types of Atheists as well? I think I have seen a few different definitions of Atheism where one Atheist does not fully agree with another Atheist when it comes to explaining the Atheism.
Yes and no. At the most basic level atheism (a-theism) simply means without theism. A person who does not have a religious belief is an atheist, and it doesn't mean any more than that.

People aren't simple though. We all throw modifying adjectives on ourselves. Conservative, liberal, male, female, Asian, European, INTJ, ENSP, rich, poor, secular humanism, skeptic.

Atheists can be any of those things. I am an atheist who is of European descent with progressive liberal views. I am upper middle class and my humanist values drive me to donate to charity. I support freedom of expression, so I support the ACLU. Blah, blah, blah.

Other atheists will agree with me on some of these things, but not others. Same thing with theists. The only thing that I have in common with all other atheists is lack of belief in god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality