Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 08:02 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times

Advertisements

UU stands for Unitarian Universalist, the result of the merger of two venerable New England faiths; the Unitarians split off from the Congregationalists, direct heirs, I believe, of the Puritans. I know little about the Universalists.

Today, UU congregations vary in their approaches to theology and worship, in my experience (wife was very involved in UU affairs when we got married); New England congregations were closer to Christian doctrine, while congregations in other parts of the US (I have personal knowledge of the church here in CoMo, and in Austin) more enthusiastically embrace the "accept everyone" doctrine-- which, as one of you correctly observed, translates to "everyone but proselytizing Christians." Which, to a lot of UUers, means any Christians witnessing their faith. Many, I know, are recovering Christians, or broke in an ugly way from their Christian families. For them in particular, UU is both, legitimately, a place of refuge and of worship.

I'm not one of them (godless heathen atheist instead) but I know many of them and love one of them. In the main, they're fine people. And yes, they're about 95% liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 08:12 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,049,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Many, I know, are recovering Christians, or broke in an ugly way from their Christian families. For them in particular, UU is both, legitimately, a place of refuge and of worship.
This is so true. Many have had bad experiences in the Christian churches they came from.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
They are being polite. The UU is basically a social club for people who want a churchy place to be on sundays without being bothered by any kind of spiritual focus. My response would be the same or something along the lines of "that's nice". Most Christians know what the UU is about.
This. I have nothing to add.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I love the UUs. Wish there was one a little closer.

Most likely, they know that the UU religion is a non-Christian faith, and therefore they have nothing to say about you attending such a godless, heathen place.

Don't be surprised if they try to talk to you about Jesus and invite you to their church at a later time.
It would be different if UU people went to a social club looking place, maybe like a restaurant or a country club, or a room at the library to meet, rather than something that is copied off the architecture of a Christian church. What the heck? If you're not religious, meet at a country club. If you ARE religious, meet in something that is easily identifiable as a Christian church, which is where UUs meet. And that's why Christians express a little surprise at UUs.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The Bible is source material, Mr5150, not authority in its own right. Even that source tells us what Jesus promised (in 3 different places) for authority and that's where I go, keeping in mind the very nature of that authority as expressed by Jesus reported in that source material and confirmed by my observation of "the fruits."

I see you gave NO consideration to the idea that Jesus' reported statement was INclusive rather than the EXclusive interpretation so dear to the hearts of those who wish to weild authority like a club.
Jesus was the most inclusive person in the history of the world. But you have to follow HIM, to be included. Not everyone is included. Only the followers of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

He didn't exclude prostitutes, tax collectors, and murderers. All he excluded were those who didn't recognize him as the one true path to God.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:55 PM

678 posts, read 429,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It would be different if UU people went to a social club looking place, maybe like a restaurant or a country club, or a room at the library to meet, rather than something that is copied off the architecture of a Christian church. What the heck? If you're not religious, meet at a country club. If you ARE religious, meet in something that is easily identifiable as a Christian church, which is where UUs meet. And that's why Christians express a little surprise at UUs.
My UU church looks nothing like a typical Christian church or any other church I have ever seen for that matter. One of the Christian Churches by me meets in a school, another meets in a warehouse, others have more traditional building, one has a very unique Mediterranean architecture and some have mega palaces. I don't get your anger over the architecture but I find it unfortunate

Last edited by Jumbo10; 07-09-2017 at 09:15 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 09:00 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I grew up Catholic but never thought I'd join a church in my adult life. That was until last year when I found a Unitarian Universalist church that I enjoy quite a bit. A couple of Christians have asked where I go and I mention a UU church, it's often followed by silence. I could think of numerous interesting follow up questions but maybe since religion is such a personal and touchy subject, they're not brought up.

How would you respond and why?
If they are "christians" as in right wing Fundamentalist, they think that Unitarian Universalists are a "false cult".

I am guessing that this may be the reason.

Other reasons -

1. They don't know what it is.

2. they are homophobic and they think it's a "Gay Church".

3. They are uncomfortable because some UUs are Christians, but most are not.

I like the UU fellowship, but I am not a member. If it fulfills you emotionally and spiritually - that is where you belong!

Most UUs are well educated, open minded. and work for justice and human rights. These are good things.

My best guesses.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:21 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
UU stands for Unitarian Universalist, the result of the merger of two venerable New England faiths; the Unitarians split off from the Congregationalists, direct heirs, I believe, of the Puritans. I know little about the Universalists.

Today, UU congregations vary in their approaches to theology and worship, in my experience (wife was very involved in UU affairs when we got married); New England congregations were closer to Christian doctrine, while congregations in other parts of the US (I have personal knowledge of the church here in CoMo, and in Austin) more enthusiastically embrace the "accept everyone" doctrine-- which, as one of you correctly observed, translates to "everyone but proselytizing Christians." Which, to a lot of UUers, means any Christians witnessing their faith. Many, I know, are recovering Christians, or broke in an ugly way from their Christian families. For them in particular, UU is both, legitimately, a place of refuge and of worship.

I'm not one of them (godless heathen atheist instead) but I know many of them and love one of them. In the main, they're fine people. And yes, they're about 95% liberal.

This is very true. In New England, they tend to be closer to Christianity, but accept people who are not. They are almost all "ONA" - open and affirming - towards Gay and Lesbian families.

"Unitarian" refers to their rejection of the Trinity, which they originally objected to because the term did not appear in the Bible.

"Universalist" refers to their second difference from the Congregationalist church, which historically is Calvinist. Calvinism believes that there are some people who are "elect" and are predestined to go to Heaven when they die. Others are not. And, there is nothing they can do about it.

"Universalist" refers to the Universal redemption of all mankind. They do not believe that a loving God would sentence anyone to an eternity of torment.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Jesus was the most inclusive person in the history of the world. But you have to follow HIM, to be included. Not everyone is included. Only the followers of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

He didn't exclude prostitutes, tax collectors, and murderers. All he excluded were those who didn't recognize him as the one true path to God.
He was wrong and so are you.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:51 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:

"If you're religious then meet at something that is identifiable as a Christian church? " Since when was Christianity the only religion? And since when do they have hymn singing in country clubs, libraries, or restaurants?

Guess what, there are religions outside of Christianity that don't follow Christian rules, Christian books, or Christian guidelines on architecture.

I have also been in synagogues that looked very much like Christian churches. Do you have a problem with that as well?

Again and again, closed minded Christians open their mouths and firmly insert their feet with their assumptions that everyone should act like they do and follow their rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality