Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times

Advertisements

1) Messianic Jew
2) G-d
3) Seek His face
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 04:53 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
1) Christian/Episcopalian at this time

2) Jesus of Nazareth/Henry VIII of England

3) Love one another--no exceptions/lean toward the interpretation of this toward all creation as demonstrated by Francis of Assisi

Old 07-13-2017, 12:21 PM

678 posts, read 429,601 times
Thanks all for responding. I'm glad it's a diverse group of beliefs and I already learned a few things about different religions

Old 07-14-2017, 05:45 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
1. State your religion or the group of people your beliefs are associated the closest to. If you're Christian, please state your denomination.
Buddhadhamma, or Buddhism as the tradition is labelled in the West. There are essentially two branches, the Theravada and the Mahayana, I associate with the former.

Quote:
2. Who is the "founding person" of your beliefs?
Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha, is the "historical Buddha." The teachings are about dhamma/the way things are, but as a system or heritage it has a beginning, a period blooming and finally deterioration when it is essentially ignored and decayed. The belief is that there were Buddhas teaching dhamma before this man, and that there will be another(s) in the future.

Quote:
3. If the person could connect with every person on earth today and give a short 3 sentence or less message, what do you think that message would be?
As the essential message is about the impermanence of all things, and the foolishness of getting greedy/overly attached/hung up on physical things and emotional states, and then angry because their essential impermanence makes them ultimately impossible to control, the message would be the same as it was when he was alive.

"When you know for yourselves 'These things (i.e. teachings) are wholesome, these things are blameless, these things are praised by wise people; these things, if undertaken and practiced, lead to welfare and happiness' then you should engage in them."

Old 07-14-2017, 06:49 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
^good recap. kevxu. Thank you.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:27 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Jesus would be the founder of the religion. Parham and Seymore the movement and Aimee Semple McPherson the organization, The International Church of the Foursquare Gospel

The three things, the Trinity, inerrancy of the Bible and the individual baptism in the Holy Spirit

Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdude View Post
1- animism

2- the universe

3 - be a net benefit to the planet.
^^^this^^^

Old 07-14-2017, 09:45 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Pastafarian, founder Bobby Henderson

We believe religion – say Christianity, Islam, Pastafarianiasm – does not require literal belief in order to provide spiritual enlightenment. Much of the transcendent experience of religion can be attributed to the community. And while some members of religion are indoctrinated True Believers, many are not. There are many levels of Belief and each is no more or less legitimate than the other.

"There's no more scientific basis for intelligent design than there is for the idea an omniscient creature made of pasta created the universe. If intelligent design supporters could demand equal time in a science class, why not anyone else? The only reasonable solution is to put nothing into sciences classes but the best available science." ~Justin Pope

R'amen.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:06 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Jesus would be the founder of the religion. Parham and Seymore the movement and Aimee Semple McPherson the organization, The International Church of the Foursquare Gospel

The three things, the Trinity, inerrancy of the Bible and the individual baptism in the Holy Spirit

Thanks for this post. I had no idea ASM taught of the baptism in the Spirit. That's particularly interesting to me as I found out as an adult, that my grandfather was saved and baptized there on a trip to Los Angeles, before he was murdered on his second trip there, for his money. My father even, had no idea of the full import of what this meant (he died when my father was 11), even up nearly to his own death. Peace

Old 07-14-2017, 02:50 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I'm interested in learning about different religious and spiritual and atheist core beliefs and think this thread will be educational at the very least. It may even lead to a take away or two if enough people participate. What I'm asking is for people to:

1. State your religion or the group of people your beliefs are associated the closest to. If you're Christian, please state your denomination
2. Who is the "founding person" of your beliefs?
3. If the person could connect with every person on earth today and give a short 3 sentence or less message, what do you think that message would be?

Also, so the thread doesn't get derailed please no personal attacks and don't argue with people's opinions or beliefs.
1. I'm a Christian. I'm denominationless.

2. Jesus Christ

3. "Love everyone as much as you love yourself, even to the point of sacrifice. How you treat the least among you, is how you treat Me. Don't be a self-righteous jerk."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality