Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times

Advertisements

It's a regular catholic baptism.. is their anything I specifically have to do during the ceremony?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
If I recall correctly, in the event of the deaths of the parents, you promise to help raise the child - probably within the Catholic faith.

But I'm uncertain as to the "probably" part. I'm a few decades removed from my altar boy days. Hopefully a current Catholic will chime in.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:10 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If I recall correctly, in the event of the deaths of the parents, you promise to help raise the child - probably within the Catholic faith.

But I'm uncertain as to the "probably" part. I'm a few decades removed from my altar boy days. Hopefully a current Catholic will chime in.
Gotcha but i was taking whether I have to do something during the actual ceremony

Old 08-29-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Gotcha but i was taking whether I have to do something during the actual ceremony
I think at some point you might hold the child but again, am not positive. It's been a while. I think it's mostly a matter of being there and promising to care for the child should the parents be unable.

Not a biggie, ceremony-wise.

Possibly a biggie, should life's events determine such.

I'm a Godfather to three now-young-adults.

Thankfully, their parents are alive and well.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:26 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
It's a regular catholic baptism.. is their anything I specifically have to do during the ceremony?
What I would do is wonder why infant baptism is practised when there is No infant baptism in Scripture.
Before public Christian baptism a person needs to make his or her own dedication to God to do God's will.
No one was used as a godfather or a godmother for anyone in Scripture.
Minor children are already covered by believing parents according to 1st Corinthians 7:14.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:28 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think at some point you might hold the child but again, am not positive. It's been a while. I think it's mostly a matter of being there and promising to care for the child should the parents be unable.

Not a biggie, ceremony-wise.

Possibly a biggie, should life's events determine such.

I'm a Godfather to three now-young-adults.

Thankfully, their parents are alive and well.
I would pay money to see Trout make sure of their education in the catholic faith.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I would pay money to see Trout make sure of their education in the catholic faith.
It would be easy!

I still have a couple of siblings who are reasonably-ardent Catholics. They would be happy to carry the ball on Sundays.

I would simply counsel them to be good people, in or outside church, whether they remained believers or not. And that fact, not my attendance at church, is why I was asked to be a Godfather.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:46 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Gonna be The Godfather to my friends kid what do I do during the baptism ceremony?

Try a good long fart. That usually livens things up.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
What I would do is wonder why infant baptism is practised when there is No infant baptism in Scripture.
Before public Christian baptism a person needs to make his or her own dedication to God to do God's will.
No one was used as a godfather or a godmother for anyone in Scripture.
Minor children are already covered by believing parents according to 1st Corinthians 7:14.
Well, supposedly Paul wrote that letter in response to Christians in the Church of Corinth, not knowing it would become seen as par-on-par with prophet-written scripture (of which he supposedly says that the letter kills but the spirit gives life). On the other hand, in the gospels Jesus directly speaks that no one is saved (or enters kingdom or something) unless they are baptized by spirit/air/breath AND water.

In the section you are quoting (although in many sections this supposed Paul says he is conveying God's words/commands/laws directly) Paul directly says that these are his own ideas and understandings because of his application of logic/common-sense to the situation. He says "you don't know if you'll save (convert/indoctrinate) your children properly, so just believe they are 'holy' (rather than saved in specific terms) anyway, since you are now an amazing holy thing, so are the people that God joins to you" (even if they had not joined the crony side of monotheist fascism).

The Catholics really think that their paid Bishop ancestors had the "Holy Spirit" in them when they quarreled and thought about which canons to keep and which to let fall away, so they think Jesus' thing as stated in the 4 gospels they chose is a little bit more important than what Paul taught in his supposed letters. Besides, since Paul is being vague, a faithful mental gymnastic could even take his suggestion to mean that every person after a Christian's lineage is simple "immortal and deserving of heaven" regardless of if they believe or not.

1st Corinthians 7:14 is not about children from fetus (they believed in quickening, I think) to around 4 years old or into their teen age years, whatever arbitrary time we decide they are mentally capable of choosing to side with our benevolent martial fascism. And even if it was, the gospel is sort of clear (maybe?) by what "no one not baptized by air/spirit/breath and water will enter/be saved" means.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 08-29-2017 at 11:19 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 11:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
As an agnostic who is aware that all anti-agnostic/non-agnostic religions are false and full of error: I've been to a Catholic baptism relatively recently, the memory is foggy, but

1. They have sort of their normal mass stuff, usually lots of other people's babies/children at the same time too.
2. a water bowl out, the priest makes people line up with babies,
3. then they make a cross with water on the baby or something, saying some stuff,
4. the godparents line up and make their vows to help the baby (and spiritually/Catholic-wise).

(I believe everything has been pre-paid and tax-exempt, but you can donate extra money to the church at the end of the ceremony if "your love of God" wills it at the time. Collection plates are probably involved.)

The Catholics are ardent in their capitalistic use of writing and media-forms, I'm sure you can go to more "concrete" online sources than a forum to know all the details and expectations. It might be religion classes you'd have to pay for though; but I doubt it, seemed short and sweet enough to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality