Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:37 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Are you anti-theist or anti-theism? In other words, do you hate the people or do you hate the ideology/world view?
Yes.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:42 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Hmm you mean like the atheists that just blew a gasket when we dared refer to them as hatetheists? And that's not even equivalent. Fundie is meant to sound condescending. Hateatheist accurately describes the mentality of most atheists as hatred of Christianity (and ONLY Christianity) is the root of their ideology.
Hatetheist. Very daring. Did you make that up yourself? Was it group-think? It does not roll off the tongue easily. You need something snappier.

Good to see you.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:26 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You may not see this soon, but lemme reply while it's fresh..
I was amazed i knew that whole story well!...I followed it fine, the parts in blue. I remembered more than i thought.
I did not know about the pre-cursor of the Messiah in that story...I'm not going to have an issue with that, tho. That may be a valid interpretation of many scholars...which I am not.

I am not appalled by this story, tho... people, fighting for something they want...it happens. Not happy with it...it's like the Europeans massacring Native Americans for their land.
Not good, not right, not necessary...

Yes. Wars happen. But I do believe there is a difference between God telling Israel to occupy their promised land with the eventual outcome being the Messiah coming 1200 years later, and the Europeans conquering a new world. It's just not the same thing, and I will not begin to suggest that what the Europeans did to the Native Americans was reasonable.
Quote:
Where we would have an issue is, ''DID God tell them, really, to wipe out an entire nation for some land?"...ah, the earth was sparsely populated. OR was that some made up story to justify their actions...their own desire for this land?
See? For me, God telling them to do this ? Ahh...that's where you believe it..and I'm all...'Ahh...doesn't
sound like the God I know.'
Yes. He did. He also went so far as to promise them vineyards they did not plant, houses they did not build, etc. He used the land and the cities the pagans built to bless Israel. He also cursed those nations for not following him (going back to the time of Abraham).
Quote:

Seems God is blamed for a lot of killing..how could that be?
You can say the words, "God told me to"...say words like jealous, justice, non-obeyance of Laws till the cows come home...
That is not the God I know.

Now, is that so bad that we disagree...no.

Wanna come up with a nasty bloody story in a different situation that you think would really appall me?
And defend that?
If the God you know isn't the one true God would you want to know? Instead of creating a god in our minds and of our own tastes, why would you not want to find out who the real God is and serve him?
Quote:

I'm not sure i could be convinced God told people to massacre....now, if a theological scholar tried to tell me
God was different then,,,because the people were different ...they only knew swords and bloodshed...it was the culture (I've seen Braveheart...it was a culture!!) so, he HAD to
do these things 'at that time' in history to
get through to these 'human children, young in their psychological development.'...I would say...
"OK, I'm listening ...what else ya got..."

Did you know that it's prophesied that Jesus will come back one day and slaughter millions? He isn't some effeminate, pandering butler of a god. He is God. We serve him, not the other way around.

Now...nowhere do I suggest for a second that we have been commanded by God to go and kill everyone -- that was a specific time, in a specific place, fulfilling a specific promise. God has not made that promise to anyone alive today.

But the bottom line is, that the killing that was done, preserved the Messianic line, and billions have benefited from Jesus. If not for that killing that was done, that never would have happened.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:59 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. Wars happen. But I do believe there is a difference between God telling Israel to occupy their promised land with the eventual outcome being the Messiah coming 1200 years later, and the Europeans conquering a new world. It's just not the same thing, and I will not begin to suggest that what the Europeans did to the Native Americans was reasonable...
I'm sure you've heard of Manifest Destiny. There are people who have given God the blame for this, too. People can always find a way to justify their actions, even if it means dragging God's character through the mud.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you've heard of Manifest Destiny. There are people who have given God the blame for this, too. People can always find a way to justify their actions, even if it means dragging God's character through the mud.
Yes. I get that. And I believe that people that read America into the Bible are wrong. The Bible doesn't talk about America, and I don't believe it's reasonable to suggest otherwise.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Yes. I get that. And I believe that people that read America into the Bible are wrong. The Bible doesn't talk about America, and I don't believe it's reasonable to suggest otherwise.
That's all fine and good. But the point is, Christians who believed the bible that God doesn't change, have no reason to agree with you that if God wanted people to destroy others, and the ends justified God's means at one point in history as you believe, God wouldn't do the same thing again.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
That's all fine and good. But the point is, Christians who believed the bible that God doesn't change, have no reason to agree with you that if God wanted people to destroy others, and the ends justified God's means at one point in history as you believe, God wouldn't do the same thing again.
Now demonstrate to me that God wants us to destroy any one particular group of people. There are no Biblical commands to do that today, and certainly no commands for America to do it.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Now demonstrate to me that God wants us to destroy any one particular group of people. There are no Biblical commands to do that today, and certainly no commands for America to do it.
You avoid the point. Your belief is that at a point in history, God commanded genocide, and the ends justified the means. If that is true, then that is a part of God's character. It's a foundational principle that others can build off of and use to justify their actions.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
You avoid the point. Your belief is that at a point in history, God commanded genocide, and the ends justified the means. If that is true, then that is a part of God's character. It's a foundational principle that others can build off of and use to justify their actions.
As we have seen for thousands of years and hundreds of thousands of murders.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Now there's the rub. You change it from God commanding Israelites to someone in 1800's America (or 2017 America) claiming God commanded them.

No--God had a covenant with Israel. It started 400 years prior to the Exodus. God has made no such covenant with America. And until you can demonstrate that, anyone claiming that today is simply a nut job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality