Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 10:26 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I understand your irritation. It can be very frustrating dealing with dogmatists, sparrow. It seems even simple common courtesy and decency somehow annoys them.
Thoughtless social conventions annoy me. The average human being constantly consumed with doing the average/expected thing annoys me. Uncommon decency, however, is always thoroughly appreciated, rare as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Thoughtless social conventions annoy me. The average human being constantly consumed with doing the average/expected thing annoys me. Uncommon decency, however, is always thoroughly appreciated, rare as it is.
Why should anyone else care about what annoys you? That is a very self-centered view that seems to arrogantly condemn those who annoy you regardless of their intent. Any lack of creativity also seems to annoy you. What a shame to live under such extreme sensitivity to annoyances.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:48 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Why should anyone else care about what annoys you? That is a very self-centered view that seems to arrogantly condemn those who annoy you regardless of their intent. Any lack of creativity also seems to annoy you. What a shame to live under such extreme sensitivity to annoyances.
I'm largely desensitized. But yeah, at some level, I'm annoyed by it. In my real life dealings with people, I accommodate the predilections of the people I'm around to the best of my ability. I think I'm skillful enough at doing it that in many cases people don't even realize I'm doing it--they simply tend to think I'm 'being myself'.

So although I'm aware I put in this unreciprocated extra effort, at some level, I'm annoyed that others mostly aren't capable of doing the same for me. That's why I spend a lot of time alone!

But there are different standards applied to different people. If someone I don't know says 'sending positive thoughts' in a well-meaning way, they are all but certain to be judged neutrally or better, simply on the basis of intent and that their sentiment, trite as it was, exceeded expectations (expectations being saying nothing at all/showing no concern). If a confidant says that, I might well say 'f*ck you' in return, as they should know better.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:50 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
I understand your irritation. It can be very frustrating dealing with dogmatists, sparrow. It seems even simple common courtesy and decency somehow annoys them.
Yeah, this is what took it over the top...

Quote:
The "sending positive thoughts" is a mockery of the Christian (and other faith) belief in the power of prayer and is actually insulting.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:48 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
I am sending all you positive thoughts!!!!! 💋

Old 09-15-2017, 12:38 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Happy Friday and I am still sending all of you positive thoughts!

Old 09-15-2017, 12:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Did you read mordant's post in this thread? I hate to quote every single post the guy writes and say 'nailed it', but I could.

It's empty in that what is implied is 'sending positive thoughts even as I do absolutely nothing else to attempt to assist in alleviating your condition'. Now, in a case where it's understood that nothing can be done to aid, such as in the case of 'riding out a hurricane' or enduring some debilitating illness, I personally would still prefer a more sincere and starightforward, 'thinking of you'/'concerned about you'. Or a more creative/idiosyncratic expression of sentiment, or an attempt at comic relief, etc. 'Sending positive thoughts' is cliche and effort-free.
So, another grammar nazi. Well, hey, it's pretty much a harmless idiosyncrisy that only tends to isolate the nazi.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:55 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I am sending all you positive thoughts!!!!! 💋
Back at ya.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, another grammar nazi. Well, hey, it's pretty much a harmless idiosyncrisy that only tends to isolate the nazi.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Did you read mordant's post in this thread? I hate to quote every single post the guy writes and say 'nailed it', but I could.

It's empty in that what is implied is 'sending positive thoughts even as I do absolutely nothing else to attempt to assist in alleviating your condition'. Now, in a case where it's understood that nothing can be done to aid, such as in the case of 'riding out a hurricane' or enduring some debilitating illness, I personally would still prefer a more sincere and starightforward, 'thinking of you'/'concerned about you'. Or a more creative/idiosyncratic expression of sentiment, or an attempt at comic relief, etc. 'Sending positive thoughts' is cliche and effort-free.
err, yeah, its all about what you want. i could care less what the person says to me. It may relieve the stress of not being able to help. A simple "thank you" can help them.

And prayer does work. Not the magic kind, but the mindfulness kind do. Thats a fact.

But hey, what does knowledge claims means to you and your new found atheist priest. Your new priest's self help through atheism teachings is as good as any Joel olsteen ever did. A statement of belief about god seems to help people focus. Just another fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality