Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,055,262 times

Advertisements

Thanks, GCS! Sadly, I must spread some rep around before giving more to GCS and all that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 01:05 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,470,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Thanks, GCS!
No Problem!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:14 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,763,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Since they get a good dose of that at school, I'll probably skip that. They've all been exposed to the ONLY view ALLOWED in school. (You guys catch that?)
You mean they've all been exposed to the only view with hard facts to back it up. Yes, we understand that.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:25 PM

1,244 posts, read 3,228,767 times
I am a Christian and believe in Creation. I just watched the trailers for this movie and must say that although I had not heard about it until this thread, it has definately sparked my interest to go watch it.

I'll leave it at that for now until I watch the movie other than to say that the clip with O'Reiley really was interesting. I like how it was questioned why Darwinism/evolution is the only allowed theory to be taught at schools when it has holes and there is another theory out there. If we are going to promote children having a choice in what to believe than they should be presented with both theories and let them decide which they believe in, rather than cramming darwinism/evolution as the only plausible theory.

Mari

Old 03-17-2008, 01:29 PM

552 posts, read 1,074,524 times
Here's what I gathered from the Bill O'Reilly interview (only what Bill Stein said, because Bill O'Reilly is quite possibly the biggest moron ever to have lived):

- Darwinism is a brilliant theory/relic
- Mankind evolved from apes and monkeys and themselves
- that's a brilliant proposition
- it doesn't say how though!
- he thought there were a lot of gaps in Darwanism
- ID fills in the gaps he thinks are there
- I can say what I want, neener neener first amendment!
- society has progressed by asking questions
- atheists are angry because Darwanism has gaps
- maybe we're stupid but we'd like to ask questions, what about the gaps!
- Einstein, Newton, Darwin were all God worshipers
- secularists are fearful for their precarious Darwanism

Here's a link for you, OP, skim through these and rewatch your videos:

The Skeptics' Guide To The Universe - Logical Fallacies

Old 03-17-2008, 01:46 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,763,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mari4him View Post
I am a Christian and believe in Creation. I just watched the trailers for this movie and must say that although I had not heard about it until this thread, it has definately sparked my interest to go watch it.

I'll leave it at that for now until I watch the movie other than to say that the clip with O'Reiley really was interesting. I like how it was questioned why Darwinism/evolution is the only allowed theory to be taught at schools when it has holes and there is another theory out there. If we are going to promote children having a choice in what to believe than they should be presented with both theories and let them decide which they believe in, rather than cramming darwinism/evolution as the only plausible theory.

Mari
Make sure you aren't using "theory" instead of the word "hypothesis". There is quite a difference. While the terms are sometimes used interchangeably in general practice, the difference between a theory and a hypothesis is important.
  • A theory predicts events in general terms, while a hypothesis makes a specific prediction about a specified set of circumstances.
  • A theory is has been extensively tested and is generally accepted, while a hypothesis is a speculative guess that has yet to be tested.

Last edited by RoaminRed; 03-17-2008 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 03-17-2008, 01:46 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,055,262 times
Okay, so I finally watched this.

Although I do believe in evolution, I have to say that Ben Stiller did make a good point in this trailer. Years ago, people would have been persecuted, blacklisted, etc. for saying IE *wasn't* true. Today, people do in fact lose their jobs over saying IE *is* true (or even just saying it's a possibility). So really, what's the difference? Either way, we obviously haven't come very far.

I do feel that evolution should be taught in schools as the leading scientific *theory* of species specification, but they should indeed call it a theory. I would want them to. I know how upset I was to learn that the man found in the cave in the Neander valley was actually crippled and arthritic. Having been touted formerly by many scientific authorities as "representative" of his species, I assumed all Neanderthals were stooped and brutish. I had come to "know" quite a bit about Neanderthals while I was growing up, reading all this stuff based on theories that weren't usually called theories--they were pretty much taken for granted as being scientifically "true". I felt sad and felt a tiny bit of a loss of my "familiar Neanderthal".

Today I LOVE learning about evolution (and believe in it, but also believe in God--the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, as I'm sure most people know by now), but I never, ever take any of the science I learn about as absolute immutable fact--I take it as our current interpretation of evidence, hard evidence, with some supposition thrown in. You HAVE to throw it in. "Other australopithecines who had teeth like this, probably ate this, so this one probably did too..." Yes. Probably. Not definitely. This viewpoint doesn't make me love science any less. I still love it as much as ever--maybe more so. And I believe that we build on what we know, refine it...I don't believe that finding something "wrong" in one former scientific theory negates the validity of all science.

But since evolution is based on theory largely *but not entirely* supported by fact depending upon what exact species, historical/geologic period, location, etc. you're talking about, it should be presented in a science classroom as a scientific theory, supported *so far* by this, this and this.

And religious discussion...including creation theory...should stay in religious or philosophical classrooms. Because like it or not, creationism is NOT as completely (not nearly as completely) supported by physical data and specific scientific study as evolution is, so there's no way you can call Christian creation theory a science any more than you can call the indigenous American belief of the world being created on the back of a turtle science.

But to outright blacklist *any* creationist teaching in the classroom, even to point it out as another theory or to outline information on that religion? That IS just as narrow as authorities having done the exact opposite in medieval times.

How far have we really come in that case?

ETA: For clarification...and also to say that as RoaminRed stated regarding another poster, it's possible I'm mixing the terms hypothesis and theory. I don't think I am in this particular post, but since I'm not 100% sure, I wanted to apologize in advance for confusing anyone more learned than I by misusing these terms.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:30 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,283,970 times
Ahem!!!

Aren't you guys leaving something out? There are three theories about the origin of life; intelligent design, inebriated design, and that other theory backed up by science and physical evidence (Evilution).

As a pastafarian, I demand that inebriated design be given equal time to the other theories. Inebriated design is every bit as valid as intelligent design and possibly more so, not to mention the ridiculous satanic fairy tale of evolution.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,943,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Ahem!!!

Aren't you guys leaving something out? There are three theories about the origin of life; intelligent design, inebriated design, and that other theory backed up by science and physical evidence (Evilution).

As a pastafarian, I demand that inebriated design be given equal time to the other theories. Inebriated design is every bit as valid as intelligent design and possibly more so, not to mention the ridiculous satanic fairy tale of evolution.
Exaclty! Reps. I should think that the duck billed platypus, giraffes, and Britney Spears are HARD evidence of Inebriated Design.

Ra-men.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,468,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
IWhats even more interesting thought is the following:

The administrative contact for Overwhelming Evidence is Dembski, William.

WHOIS domain registration information results for overwhelmingevidence.com from Network Solutions

He sounds like a standup guy..

William A. Dembski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The "overwhelming evidence" turned out to be a cap pistol shooting blanks during the Dover, Delaware, trial regarding teaching ID in high school science classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality