Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 03:48 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The concept of Atheism varies from follower to follower; however, a general belief in a majority of Atheists, IMO, is that death is the final end, and there is nothing after it!

On the other hand, believers of almost all faiths believe that consciousness continuous after we die.

Looks like science is slowling moving in favor of believers.

What's gonna happen now is that those Atheists who previously believed that there is nothing after death, will slowly change their stance, and now come up with theories like, "ohh yeah, we may be moved into another parallel universe, or we come back as animals, or our consciousness just floats in the wide space of universe etc.
I already know death is not the end. It may be the end of me but I've accepted that. I'm nearly certain if anything does remain it will not be recognizable as anything I use to define "me" now. I find comfort that life will go on with or without me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 04:38 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Your premise is not in line with the definition of an Atheist or Atheism. The one and only defining characteristic is that there is no belief in God. Belief in ghosts, spirits, souls, or afterlife are irrelevant to the defining characteristic. Some do, and some don't.

Anecdotal story: I knew a militant atheist at work a number of years ago. He would discuss the topic with anybody, whether the other person wanted to discuss it or not. He had atheistic cartoons and slogans plastered all over his office walls. He told me that he had clearly instructed his children that there was to be nothing religious involved with his funeral or memorial when he dies. He told his children that if they let religion have any part in his memorial that he would come back and haunt them for eternity.

I guess he believes in some kind of an afterlife.
Why do you assume that only Christians can believe in something after death?

Old 10-21-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
I saw my father in a dream at a place I had never seen in my life even in any picture or photo. He had passed away 5 years earlier. He smiled and said to me, "I didn't think you would get here in time". I then woke up. For six years, I wondered where that place is until I was there one day; the exact same place I had seen in dream six years earlier. How did I see that exact place in my dream six years earlier in my dream if it was not with the eyes of my soul?

I'd like to hear more about that...if you care to share.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:55 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The concept of Atheism varies from follower to follower; however, a general belief in a majority of Atheists, IMO, is that death is the final end, and there is nothing after it!

On the other hand, believers of almost all faiths believe that consciousness continuous after we die.

Looks like science is slowling moving in favor of believers.

What's gonna happen now is that those Atheists who previously believed that there is nothing after death, will slowly change their stance, and now come up with theories like, "ohh yeah, we may be moved into another parallel universe, or we come back as animals, or our consciousness just floats in the wide space of universe etc.
How about the religious finding out that all those bright lights and floating around and coming back is part of the natural nature of the brain? In other words, for an atheist it is still quite ok to understand that the brain continues to work after your heart stops and you are pronounced dead. But eventually the brain dies and you are done with. However the religious zealots who say many have come back after being dead and seeing a bright light is nothing more then the eyes, seeing the light above the table and the brain thinking it was a light from God, and all it was was a light made by GE.

And really is this anything new. It has been noted many times that if a person is decapitated the head will still have functions such as eye blinking, nose makes a noise, eyes water and during the French revolution it was common to take a head and hold it over the body thinking that the head could see the body and adding a bit of horror to the person before the brain died.

Sorry to bust you zealous mind, however it does nothing to prove your imaginative god is anything other than a sick joke on you and your kind.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:12 AM

3,640 posts, read 45,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'd like to hear more about that...if you care to share.
In what way do you mean by "more"?

It is my understanding that soul is taken out of body when we sleep and returns when we wake up, or never returns and we die in sleep.

I believe it was my soul and my father's soul that had met in a future setting, at a place in a country I had never visited before, seen before or seen a picture of the place before. In fact, the place I had seen in my dream was on top of a bridge that was built well after my dream. It couldn't have been a coincidence.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
How about the religious finding out that all those bright lights and floating around and coming back is part of the natural nature of the brain? In other words, for an atheist it is still quite ok to understand that the brain continues to work after your heart stops and you are pronounced dead. But eventually the brain dies and you are done with. However the religious zealots who say many have come back after being dead and seeing a bright light is nothing more then the eyes, seeing the light above the table and the brain thinking it was a light from God, and all it was was a light made by GE.

And really is this anything new. It has been noted many times that if a person is decapitated the head will still have functions such as eye blinking, nose makes a noise, eyes water and during the French revolution it was common to take a head and hold it over the body thinking that the head could see the body and adding a bit of horror to the person before the brain died.

Sorry to bust you zealous mind, however it does nothing to prove your imaginative god is anything other than a sick joke on you and your kind.
I think the idea of an afterlife, a judging of our individual actions while alive may be something promoted in order to maintain a fairly orderly society. There was once a high ranking vatican official who once said "This myth of God has been good to us", and he was right, its what most of our laws are based on, trillions of dolllars given to various religious organizations over the years, in general, it keeps people civil, worried they may be judged for their actions after death.

Think about it though, what if it was proven we are not judged and nothing happens? Society would crumble pretty quick if there are no consequences after death, it would become a very rough place to live, only the strong would thrive, so maybe humans do need to have some kind of belief like this, if just to ensure a civilized world while we are alive?

Im not really sure what I believe, but I have a sneaky feeling, it will be NOTHING like anything we think its going to be, I think we are going to be shocked to find out what its all about when we die, it will come as a complete surprise to most.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
In what way do you mean by "more"?

It is my understanding that soul is taken out of body when we sleep and returns when we wake up, or never returns and we die in sleep.

I believe it was my soul and my father's soul that had met in a future setting, at a place in a country I had never visited before, seen before or seen a picture of the place before. In fact, the place I had seen in my dream was on top of a bridge that was built well after my dream. It couldn't have been a coincidence.
ok

Old 10-22-2017, 12:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
I hope death isn't the end, but I think it is.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM

3,640 posts, read 45,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I hope death isn't the end, but I think it is.
I just hope that people do have a Plan B just in case death isn't the end. I wouldn't like to see gloomy and downcast faces when they find out to their horror that they were so wrong about death being the end of them.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
I just hope that people do have a Plan B just in case death isn't the end. I wouldn't like to see gloomy and downcast faces when they find out to their horror that they were so wrong about death being the end of them.
I don't think that'll be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality