Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2017, 10:42 PM

231 posts, read 228,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
As well as using the legal system and legislatures to enact laws that reflect their religious beliefs.
Of course. Atheists do the same thing. Don't be a hypocrite.

Again, majority rules in making laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 10:55 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
Of course. Atheists do the same thing. Don't be a hypocrite.

Again, majority rules in making laws.
You are right. Christians have every legal right to influence elections and to attempt to dictate the political agenda, within the limits of established law, through their numbers. Just as non believers have every right to seek to undermine Christian belief by shining a light on the foundational claims of Christianity and exposing them as nonsense. Christians, who were a 90% majority of the US population as recently as 1998, are currently at 70% of the US population. And falling.

By the middle of this century non believers will be in the majority. Non believers have every legal right to influence elections and to attempt to dictate the political agenda, within the limits of established law, through their numbers. As I am sure they will.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I disagree with the assumption in the question. It is attributing a felt need to a group that there is very little evidence for. When I was an atheist, I felt no need to discredit Christ or anything else. I simply didn't believe any of it. It would help a lot, I believe, if we all accepted the fact that we all have our own beliefs and views and what we see as legitimate reasons for holding them. We do not want anyone ridiculing or criticizing our views because it does not feel good. If we simply try NOT to be mean or hypocritical toward others the discussions would be a lot less contentious.
Atheists come on the Christianity forum to discredit Christians and their Christianity.

It happened several times in this very thread.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
You are right. Christians have every legal right to influence elections and to attempt to dictate the political agenda, within the limits of established law, through their numbers. Just as non believers have every right to seek to undermine Christian belief by shining a light on the foundational claims of Christianity and exposing them as nonsense. Christians, who were a 90% majority of the US population as recently as 1998, are currently at 70% of the US population. And falling.

By the middle of this century non believers will be in the majority. Non believers have every legal right to influence elections and to attempt to dictate the political agenda, within the limits of established law, through their numbers. As I am sure they will.
And has the world gotten to be a better or worse place?

Jesus is the light of the world. He's the only thing keeping this world from utter chaos.

The problem that most people have with Jesus is those who follow him. Why? People are imperfect and they'll mess things up every time.

Christians mess it up. As do atheists, Buddhists, and all other religions and groups.

But the biggest teaching of Jesus was foremost to love others. That's it. And you want to tear that down.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:13 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Ummm. Discredit was my original question.

You did it right there. Saying what a Christian believes in its a fairy tale is discrediting.

Thank you for making my point.
I think you're going it on purpose to create dissension.

The topic is discrediting Christ.
Discrediting what a Christian believes and does is not discrediting Christ, particularly when you admit you are a sinner. Furthermore, Christ was not around when the Old Testament tales were written. He had no hand in writing them.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:20 PM

691 posts, read 419,387 times
https://youtu.be/gSddUPkVD24

Old 12-01-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you're going it on purpose to create dissension.

The topic is discrediting Christ.
Discrediting what a Christian believes and does is not discrediting Christ, particularly when you admit you are a sinner. Furthermore, Christ was not around when the Old Testament tales were written. He had no hand in writing them.
You're missing that point.

Nonetheless, atheists do come on the Christianity forum to directly discredit Christ and Christianity.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:15 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
You're missing that point.

Nonetheless, atheists do come on the Christianity forum to directly discredit Christ and Christianity.
Pay attention. We are not in the Christianity sub-forum. And I don't go in it. But, so what? Christians repeatedly go into the atheism sub-forum.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:17 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Pay attention. We are not in the Christianity sub-forum. And I don't go in it. But, so what? Christians repeatedly go into the atheism sub-forum.
This thread was originally opened on the Christianity subforum. The fact it was moved to R&S does not require a change in the OPs opinion that certain members who visit Christianity discredit Christ.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:47 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
And has the world gotten to be a better or worse place?

Jesus is the light of the world. He's the only thing keeping this world from utter chaos.

The problem that most people have with Jesus is those who follow him. Why? People are imperfect and they'll mess things up every time.

Christians mess it up. As do atheists, Buddhists, and all other religions and groups.

But the biggest teaching of Jesus was foremost to love others. That's it. And you want to tear that down.
This post is the purpose of the thread I believe. You think unbelief and discrediting are causing the world to sink into darkness. If your message was only about bringing love through the teachings of Christ, and not about scaring people to believe, then you might have a point.

My world has gotten better compared to my time as a child where I grew up in a mostly Christian community. How "Christian" was the community? Let's put it this way. I didn't know people could believe in other faiths or even that they could be unbelievers until I was in high school. To learn of the Jewish faith was shocking. I dislike saying this, but I didn't even know there was a message of love in the Christian faith. I heard the word love, but it's meaning was lost to me for I did not know how to give the gift of love.

What I later realized was that Christainity in my community was mostly a message of fear and punishment. Furthermore, the message included all of the negative effects that resulted from people being ineffective in passing the teachings of Christ. (Do as I say, not as I do.) This includes frustration, distrust, hate, and mental and physical abuse. So therefor, the biggest offenders of my misery were... I am sure you can guess it. So yes, I agree. Christians can mess it up, but I will add, through fear and not through the teaching of love.

What I have learned about love is that many see it as one of many feelings to choose from, like from compartments. In order to take from that compartment, certain requirements must be met. I have found that to be very ineffective. I now understand love to be a way to prevent or redirect undesirable feelings, which includes fear, whether or not requirements are met. I realized this is a learned skill, something my community could not pass on to me, because they had not learned it themselves. So to pass love without expectations being met is a true gift.

Does your god deal with unbelievers with love?

Last edited by elyn02; 12-02-2017 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Verb agreement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality