Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 06:21 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
By that 'logic' -- [ahem] -- the influence of the deities Tyr, Odin, Thor, Frigg and Saturn are so powerful that even YOU write them as the days of the week.

If I didn't know better, I'd suspect your post is a wry satire on Christian absurdity. But I do know better, having read other posts of yours. I also know that it's almost impossible to satirically comment on Christianity, because no matter how over-the-top absurd one gets, there's sure to be a long line of Christians espousing exactly that.
Correct, obviously. Those fictitious Deity characters still carry lots of mojo. Not as much as they once did, but still notable.
Not to be confused with the actual man Jesus...that currently (in line with the OP noting what Atheists currently do) is the most influential.
BTW...I'm Panthiest. I have never been religious, I am not now, and doubt I ever will be. I am just aware of how the world really is...and have no headtrip hangups about it that would cause me to try to deny or pretend that it isn't that way because I am all twisted up over it.
Jesus is ALL THAT...in a way no one else (real or invented) has been, for over a thousand years now. No "discrediting" things said by Atheists on interweb boards will have any effect to speak of. Standing in the path of an F-5 hurricane and throwing punches at it to try to stop it would have greater efficacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 06:37 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I know old mate, and you could be right. Meantime, we'll keep swiping at the hurricane.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Less than a third of the people in the world are Christians. Many nations have virtually no Christians. To a person in much of Asia, Christ is not the most influential person in the world. Many nations use the western calendar as convenience, and some (such as Buddhist Thailand) still also use their own calendar.

Your attitude is exactly why so many in the world dislike Christianity.
Jesus is certainly one of, and by most assessments, the most, influential man in the world today. I'm surprised you didn't know that.
I suggest you check it out and educate youself on that fact. I can help you out if you need it.
Why even mention "other countries"? What does that have to do with the Atheists on this forum? You are just injecting inconsequential spew into the debate cuz it seems to bother you that Jesus is so epic, prolific, and significant.
Who has more influence that is commonly attempted to be discredited by Atheists on this forum? That is the jist of the OP, right?

Old 12-10-2017, 07:50 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Jesus is certainly one of, and by most assessments, the most, influential man in the world today. I'm surprised you didn't know that.
I suggest you check it out and educate youself on that fact. I can help you out if you need it.
Why even mention "other countries"? What does that have to do with the Atheists on this forum? You are just injecting inconsequential spew into the debate cuz it bothers you that Jesus is so epic, prolific, and significant.
Who has more influence that is commonly attempted to be discredited by Atheists on this forum? That is the jist of the OP, right?
1. Let's get something clear. Just because the Christian world dominated other places in the world through wars and slavery doesn't mean that those other countries love and respect Jesus. They really had no choice but give in to the dominant power when it came to issues such as a calendar. I'm not so sure it's something you should be proud of. It's like most formerly British colonies drive on the left hand side of the road.

2. Well, some other countries are primarily Buddhist, for example, an essentially atheist culture.

3. Who is world in this country (or almost any other country in the world) in 2017, when asked what year it is says, "It is the year of our Lord 2017"? YOu must be from 18th century England.

4. Which passage in the Bible condones braggadocio?

Old 12-10-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. Let's get something clear. Just because the Christian world dominated other places in the world through wars and slavery doesn't mean that those other countries love and respect Jesus. They really had no choice but give in to the dominant power when it came to issues such as a calendar. I'm not so sure it's something you should be proud of. It's like most formerly British colonies drive on the left hand side of the road.

2. Well, some other countries are primarily Buddhist, for example, an essentially atheist culture.

3. Who is world in this country (or almost any other country in the world) in 2017, when asked what year it is says, "It is the year of our Lord 2017"? YOu must be from 18th century England.

4. Which passage in the Bible condones braggadocio?
AGAIN....you go on and on with a diatribe that has nothing to do with, "Atheists go out of their way to discredit Christ on this Forum".
Why are you doing that? I was addressing the OP in my offerings to this thread. Yours are just irrelevant spew.
Even your question about "Bible passages that condone breggadocio" are way off base.
Did you even read the OP?
Try addressing my offering to the thread relative to that...not some headtrip you are hung up about that has nothing to do with it.
For some reason it seems you just don't "get it" about what the OP was saying/asking.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:47 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
AGAIN....you go on and on with a diatribe that has nothing to do with, "Atheists go out of their way to discredit Christ on this Forum".
Why are you doing that? I was addressing the OP in my offerings to this thread. Yours are just irrelevant spew.
Even your question about "Bible passages that condone breggadocio" are way off base.
Try addressing my offering to the thread relative to that...not some headtrip you are hung up about that has nothing to do with it.
For some reason it seems you just don't "get it" about what the OP was saying/asking.
Yes I read the OP, and have consistently asked OP to give us specific examples (by post #) of where atheists have discredited Christ (not Christians, not Christianity, but Christ)...and thus far the response has been NOTHING. I am still waiting to see the "many" (OP's word) posts discrediting Jesus.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,237 times
Quote:
This is nonsense. No atheist has a desire to discredit a human they have not met or even can know existed. I as an atheist, could careless about Jesus. What I discredit is unsubstantiated claims of his divinity. No different than you would discredit the supernatural claims of Mohammad based on no evidence. The fact that I do not accept the claim of Jesus being a lord and savoir, is not an attack on this possible humans character. We have nothing written by this man. We only have writings attributed him decades after his supposed existence.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I hope you have read enough of my posts to not think that I am "not bright" or poorly educated. Yet, once upon a time, I was a member of that group. I really don't think that I was stupid, rather, I was deluded, or, more sympathetically put, I was deceived. Largely because I was steeped in the dogma from young childhood. While I never took criticism of my religion as personally as some fundamentalists who post here, it did make me acutely uncomfortable. Why? Because to actually address the criticism you would have to step outside the limitations of dogma and holy writ and there be dragons there.
I thought by now I needn't preface my anti-fundie screeds as not being aimed at the early-indoctrinated. But I suppose that's a reminder that mayhap I should.

I ain't dumb either. And although raised in a conservative Catholic home in the 50s and 60s, my indoctrination was light on hell and the bible. I bought the Christian stories for a time but they weren't seared into my psyche. I was able to shed the shackles of doctrine by my mid-teens.

But I understand how intelligent folks can be shaped if the sculptors starts early, with wet clay.

I know intelligent people who are devout Christians. But nary a one is a fundie. And your innate intelligence led you out of that mindset and on to a different path.

I know a handful of fundies in rl. None has an education past 11th grade.

And based on the posts by the dozen or so fundie regs here and in the Christian forum, I don't think many of them do either.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:39 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
This is nonsense. No atheist has a desire to discredit a human they have not met or even can know existed. I as an atheist, could careless about Jesus. What I discredit is unsubstantiated claims of his divinity. No different than you would discredit the supernatural claims of Mohammad based on no evidence. The fact that I do not accept the claim of Jesus being a lord and savoir, is not an attack on this possible humans character. We have nothing written by this man. We only have writings attributed him decades after his supposed existence.
so his teachings are good, over all, but he didn't die, wake up, and fly away. His belief based self help is as good as any other no god belief based self help. Humans need the components of self control, hope, and angst release. That's just the human way. At this point there is no need to discredit that he existed. The effects are the same as if he did.

That,s the same way I see it too.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:45 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I hope you have read enough of my posts to not think that I am "not bright" or poorly educated. Yet, once upon a time, I was a member of that group. I really don't think that I was stupid, rather, I was deluded, or, more sympathetically put, I was deceived. Largely because I was steeped in the dogma from young childhood. While I never took criticism of my religion as personally as some fundamentalists who post here, it did make me acutely uncomfortable. Why? Because to actually address the criticism you would have to step outside the limitations of dogma and holy writ and there be dragons there.
no, you are emotionally scared from a gut wrenching event. To the point, like any fundy, that the executive functioning disconnects don't allow you to see the big picture. anti-religion, to the point of denying science and shunning new science information to maintain your belief system, is a trade mark of fundy think.

you see dragons outside of the ranks of anti-religion. so i see the same young fundy. under a different flag representing a statement of belief about god. But same ol' boogey man fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality