Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 03:25 AM

678 posts, read 429,193 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't most Christians agree that Jesus is the epitome of selflessness and willing to pay the ultimate price?

Yet, the vast majority of American Christians supported a leader who most non-Christians view as the epitome of selfishness.

I find this an unfortunate moral contradiction that can only be justified by ideology and irrational logic.

Are other religions similar in regards to selflessness?

Old 12-05-2017, 03:44 AM

3,640 posts, read 40,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Wouldn't most Christians agree that Jesus is the epitome of selflessness and willing to pay the ultimate price?

Yet, the vast majority of American Christians supported a leader who most non-Christians view as the epitome of selfishness.

I find this an unfortunate moral contradiction that can only be justified by ideology and irrational logic.

Religion is about controlling your "self" and this can lead to selflessness. Politics should also be for the interests of the people rather than material selfishness. Today, quite often, politicians use their position to help themselves, rich for rich only. And that's the difference between religious aims and political aims.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:30 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,915,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Religion is about controlling your "self" and this can lead to selflessness. Politics should also be for the interests of the people rather than material selfishness. Today, quite often, politicians use their position to help themselves, rich for rich only. And that's the difference between religious aims and political aims.

99% of all religion is false religion--they rake in billions--that is their purpose. They put on a false front( wolves in sheeps clothing) just like the politicians

Old 12-05-2017, 05:44 AM

50,769 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
99% of all religion is false religion--they rake in billions--that is their purpose. They put on a false front( wolves in sheeps clothing) just like the politicians
I may have become an atheist, but even I think that statement is a gross exaggeration of the truth.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
If religion is needed to control your "self", then can't the more selfish leaders use religion to control followers? And people who don't need religion to control themselves would have more time and ability to be selfless? Whether they do or not depends on the ability actions of the individual.

There are varying levels of selfishness, that can be assessed through actions and lifestyle. Not all leaders are selfish and I find the best ones (from a coach, teacher, manager, to all the way up) to be intelligent and truly selfless.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:27 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,977 times
Quote:

Now, are you talking about Donald Trump? Or the Pope?

Many of our leaders make pious GESTURES yet if you really examine their behavior, you find they are deeply selfish, they want everyone else to suffer while they live well. This is life under globalism. And this is the reality about people like the Pope and the Dalai Lama.

Meanwhile, to those whose lives have been ruined by globalists who demanded they be unselfish and "we have to do our part" and "for the greater good", having a leader who literally believes that it's okay to be human is a breath of fresh air. Why should I "do my part" for strangers who may be without insurance when I myself am struggling to maintain my insurance? And what "greater good" is there mandating that the millions of Americans struggling under this system literally screw themselves over?

When I was in college, I was trying to watch shows on the DVD, and none of the computers had one installed. So I installed one. I got the perverse pleasure of watching the school pay me back. But I thought about it. If everyone did stuff that helped themselves on the idea that it might be useful to others, wouldn't we have all the computers able to play DVDs? Meanwhile, the school on the idea that all computers should be the same, swapped out that computer next year when they got all new computers, which were always busted. They were high tech in terms of Deep Freeze built-in, but if you needed to watch a movie for class, you couldn't do it. All because unselfish moral hypocrites wanted all computers the same.

When you start thinking about yourself, you actually come up with realistic ways of helping others. When you try to be "unselfish", you are out of touch with the real needs of others, because you havent been living in the real world of struggling to pay for stuff.

Moderator cut: Leave Donald Trump out of the Religion forums.

Maybe religion isn't about being unselfish, it's about reconnecting.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-05-2017 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Ridiculous political paragraph removed.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Now, are you talking about Donald Trump? Or the Pope?

Maybe religion isn't about being unselfish, it's about reconnecting.
I have a great deal of respect for one of those leaders even though I am not a Christian.

Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life" and was willing to be tortured and die to help all of mankind. Yet you feel the religion based on Jesus isn't about being unselfish? Would Jesus be ok with the practice of prosperity Christianity?

Old 12-05-2017, 07:13 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,906 times
I question the characterization of Jesus as the epitome of selflessness. Seems to me that he and his disciples would have had to be welfare recipients or beggars in order to conduct their ministry. In addition, “believe in me or burn in hell/be destroyed” doesn’t reflect selflessness. If Jesus existed, it’s possible he was just another famous live off the flock evangelist.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:25 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I question the characterization of Jesus as the epitome of selflessness. Seems to me that he and his disciples would have had to be welfare recipients or beggars in order to conduct their ministry.
They had a treasurer, with a common coinpurse. That seems to imply they had coins to put in that purse.

Quote:

In addition, “believe in me or burn in hell/be destroyed” doesn’t reflect selflessness. If Jesus existed, it’s possible he was just another famous live off the flock evangelist.
Right...because every shyster we see on late night tv fleecing the flock will literally die for people that they've never met?

Old 12-05-2017, 09:59 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:

As far as the recent election, we had two flawed candidates, so I think you are wrong to point fingers there.

Regarding your question, the characteristic of being selfless is one of the most important traits any Christian can have. It’s so significant that Jesus said it is the second most important of all God’s commandments: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself” (Mark 12:31; cf. Galatians 5:14).

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-selflessness.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality