Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 AM

29,572 posts, read 9,802,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
My concern is more along the line of prayer to the dead being a wrong practice.
If it makes someone feel better, why not? Or are you questioning whether someone who has died can hear such a prayer? If it makes someone feel better, what does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it does not speak well of anyone who trash talks others by telling them they have a small heart. That is offensive and denigrating and deliberately insulting. Those who applaud such behavior are the same.
“He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone..."

Old 03-23-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Talking about inconvenient bits..

I suppose getting nuked into the 20th century didn't occur to you or how many the Japanese brutally murdered before they got clobbered.
I wonder how many of the Japanese living on the islands of Hiroshima and Nagasaki who got incinerated were brutal murderers, among them women and children...

Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,088,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If it makes someone feel better, why not? Or are you questioning whether someone who has died can hear such a prayer? If it makes someone feel better, what does it matter?
Scripture forbids attempting to contact the dead.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
No.
When Moses asked what is your name he was told I am that I am.
In other words mind your own business.
You cannot wield God, and Moses got into trouble later trying to do exactly that.
Yeah, but what of the others who have spoken to God? How do we know Moses got it right and others didn't? How do we know it was God that caused Moses' troubles? Best I can understand from the reading the varied versions of this history, it was mostly other people and difficult desert conditions...

Old 03-23-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Scripture forbids attempting to contact the dead.
Apparently of no matter according to those making the effort. And again, if it makes someone feel better, why not?

Old 03-23-2018, 11:11 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,088,939 times
Quote:
Apparently of no matter according to those making the effort. And again, if it makes someone feel better, why not?
Obviously they can do whatever they want. But I'm saying I don't like it, and I will not do it because I'd rather obey Scripture.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 AM

50,095 posts, read 20,850,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
wooden jam too many slivers when I chew. I prefer strawberry jam or orange marmalade.
Yes, Marmalade has its' uses but I never found it cured my itchy scrapular.

Quote:
I wonder how many of the Japanese living on the islands of Hiroshima and Nagasaki who got incinerated were brutal murderers, among them women and children...
I'm not sure they were on Islands... but I find it curious how Hiroshima is somehow more Horror -iconic than 'Hiroshima and Nagasaki' and those are more iconic than the firebombing on Tokyo, Dresden or London. It's like you just have to wag Hiroshima and everybody sits down and doesn't dare to speak.

Fact is war is bad, and when it involves civilians is worse. From the crusades and the Jewish war to the Indian mutiny and WWII by way of the Tai Ping rebellion and the Japanese invasion of China, women and children have suffered and died, and you can add Vietnam to that, list too. It's bad, and you can't do finger -pointing over it, even if iconic horror images like Hiroshima are used.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-23-2018 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-23-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

You quoted me addressing the point.

I know you have a problem understanding concepts, so let me explain once again, very slowly. Here is what I said.

To help you in this, your fallacy I was referring to was the cüm hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, where you confused a trait with the cause. In your case, atheism, in my explanation, men wearing shoes.

Stalin not only wore shoes, he was a man, he had a nose, he had vowels in his name, and he was an atheist, right?

The same with Pol Pot and Mao, right? Are you with me so far? Good.

Now, it would be silly to say they did some bad things because they had a nose, or wore shoes, right?

You see, just because they wore shoes, it doesn't mean that is why they were bad men. Still with me?

And it is the same with them being atheists.

After all, why would Stalin kill or imprison his military leaders, just because he was an atheist? Or Pol Pot do the same with people who wore glasses?

Do you get the point yet?
Probably not. False correlation fallacy is one of the harder ones to spot (we all tend to join unrelated dots in the mind) and a bias that goes with the territory ( slap down atheism any way you can) means that if you can find an atheist who caught typhoid and infected 100 people before diagnosed, that's perfect to say "That's what atheism does".

The problem with dictators and military rule is enforced political dogma, and whether that dogma is religious (Iran) or non -religious (N Korea) is not the real issue.

Though as i was arguing with Tzaph, with Iran for instance, religion is much more the driver of the autocratic rule and oppression that irreligion is in the communist dictarorships.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
“He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone..."
You won't get too far quoting the NT to Tzaph... You won't get very far with Arach, either.

Quote:
I believe you are "mixing apples with oranges," .......

Would you not agree?

PS: I'm not sure when, where or how the issue of "banning" religion arose here, but that's nothing I have ever advocated and also of course banning religion is impossible and doesn't work. Our best and only hope is through education and that people use the knowledge we gain from education for better rather than worse, progress rather than backward thinking.
You will find, in time, that you are wearing out your fingers to no purpose, trying reasoned argument.

What you have here is an obsessive, implacable, atheist -hating bigot whose hatred of anything Liburl is driving him towards theism. His arguments are based purely on what he thinks atheists are and do, and if you say that's not it, he refuses to believe you. You are talking to a brick wall.

Quote:
Because the truth is important. If someone wants to say a prayer for the dead because they believe it does something or it just makes them feel good, that's up to them.

But if someone suggests i do it, initially because it it is supposed to be true and i say I don't believe it, then to say 'it will make you feel good' is not going to persuade me.

Everyone must decide for themselves, but 'it makes you feel good' is Not a validation of a practice.

This is going to get into the benefits of art or ballet and personal choice in art, but that's Too Much Information right now

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-23-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality