Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 05:47 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

I have to wonder how many atheists (or anyone else) would be surprised to learn that someone didn't do them some kind of harm, whatever the reason or motive. The only thing stopping the potential criminal being his religious fear of some kind of divine retribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 06:16 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Thanks for this explanation and insight Arach.
NP. Like I told you before. Some of you are so insightful that you "see it" and you have absolutely have no technical training. Your claims are almost totally supported by observations. yeah, some may go to far, but we all go to far, so for me, that cancels out and brings us back to looking at each claim in regards to a statement of belief about a god or a god-thing.

More often than not, some claims are more valid and some claims are less valid. I don't understand the flat rejection of everything due to a faith in "religion is so dangerous ...."

There are some implications about us being part of this life form. We (humans) are nodes of complexity processing information. Like ants are nodes of information in a colony. The colony is almost exactly like our "mind". well, an animals mind actually, but you et the point. Ants are like our brain cells with legs. And those implications are supported with a mechanism, explanation, and can make predictions.

Those implications are what the anti-religious denominations fear. Just like your previous fundy group feared "no-my-god". The amazing grace when that fear is gone. The great "it is what it is ... let's move on...together"

"the rich" being more atheists is true. For many reason. One is accountability. With that much money I want to do what I want. I don't need any pesky overseer stopping me for having fun. i kind of agree with them, the way some people present the biblical god , its a pesky overseer stopping some basic fun.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
When its your ass, it matters.
Of course, but that doesn't make it any more than personal preservation as when it is someone else's. But in fat my ass has been on the line a couple of times (though never terminally) and I never appealed to God to get me out of it, so what is this argument worth? It isn't necessarily true, and wouldn't prove anything about a god even if it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have to wonder how many atheists (or anyone else) would be surprised to learn that someone didn't do them some kind of harm, whatever the reason or motive. The only thing stopping the potential criminal being his religious fear of some kind of divine retribution.
Doesn't that do religion no good at all? Atheists (despite what theism would like to believe and claim, are not all criminals. In fact from my interaction with them, they are keenly aware of the importance of moral behaviour for the sake of a society fit to live in.

So, if we assume for the sake of argument that no Christian could ever be a criminal, they are no what we might call 'thinking atheists' but Christians who have lost their faith. Why are they sometimes criminals and atheists sometimes not? Because it does not always depend on fear of the Divine CCTV. And for those who lose faith, then, lacking the morality that atheists have, without looking for any reward beyond the good being worth it, they will perhaps become criminals because religion has not given then a backup morality.

Religion fails if it it puts all it's ethical eggs in one basked. Drop the basket and smash.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-08-2018 at 07:28 AM..

Old 04-08-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Of course, but that doesn't make it any more than personal preservation as when it is someone else's. But in fat my ass has been on the line a couple of times (though never terminally) and I never appealed to God to get me out of it, so what is this argument worth? It isn't necessarily true, and wouldn't prove anything about a god even if it was.

Doesn't that do religion no good at all? Atheists (despite what theism would like to believe and claim, are not all criminals. In fact from my interaction with them, they are keenly aware of the importance of moral behaviour for the sake of a society fit to live in.

So, if we assume for the sake of argument that no Christian could ever be a criminal, they are no what we might call 'thinking atheists' but Christians who have lost their faith. Why are they sometimes criminals and atheists sometimes not? Because it does not always depend on fear of the Divine CCTV. And for those who lose faith, then, lacking the morality that atheists have, without looking for any reward beyond the good being worth it, they will perhaps become criminals because religion has not given then a backup morality.

Religion fails if it it puts all it's ethical eggs in one basked. Drop the basket and smash.
wow, this is totally based on what they say, not what "we say". its the silliest proof I ever saw. "if we assume the snake is real? How about coming up with something of your own, based on observation and not what they say.

if your butt has never been on the line terminally, you don't understand it. Mine has been, multiple times. "if you are real, get me threw this" is not uncommon do to the nature of the situation.

Its is a placebo, but its works. Its real strength from false hope.

to your silly point about "eggs in one basket" ... all in one basket eh? that's silly because you label every belief that you don't deem worthy as "religious" or "sueto religious". So your "basket" is actaully many baskets.

some of those baskets are valid, its just you toss them into your atheist denomination's basket of "not my belief'. yeah, logic, c;earity and reason. lmao.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:08 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,486,072 times
Quote:
I would not be at all surprised that this sometimes happens on an individual basis.

However, on a broader scale there are so many examples of more religious places (ex: The American South, the United States, southern Europe) demonstrating higher rates of violence than less religious places (ex: the American Northeast/Midwest/West, Canada, northern Europe) that it puts to rest the notion that religious makes society a more peaceful place.

Many theists love to peddle dogma to the contrary, but they assiduously avoid actually seeing if the real world works that way. No wonder - reality isn't on their side.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
I always thought people that were very smart were atheists. Rich or poor.
The catch was they valued their reasoning and logic way more than something that to them is unseen.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I always thought people that were very smart were atheists. Rich or poor.
The catch was they valued their reasoning and logic way more than something that to them is unseen.
I think I would say "If we are going to think about an "unseen" lets use a "seen" to try and describe it."

for example, some great lake indian tribe described an island formation as being done by a giant beaver. Yeah, they were dead wrong, the point is they did not pick a bunny rabbit.

does that make sense hep?

Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,684,725 times
Quote:
Considering that the prison population has a greater percentage of Christians than the population of the country as a whole, that theory seems to have a huge hole in it.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:55 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
NP. Like I told you before. Some of you are so insightful that you "see it" and you have absolutely have no technical training. Your claims are almost totally supported by observations. yeah, some may go to far, but we all go to far, so for me, that cancels out and brings us back to looking at each claim in regards to a statement of belief about a god or a god-thing.

More often than not, some claims are more valid and some claims are less valid. I don't understand the flat rejection of everything due to a faith in "religion is so dangerous ...."

There are some implications about us being part of this life form. We (humans) are nodes of complexity processing information. Like ants are nodes of information in a colony. The colony is almost exactly like our "mind". well, an animals mind actually, but you et the point. Ants are like our brain cells with legs. And those implications are supported with a mechanism, explanation, and can make predictions.

Those implications are what the anti-religious denominations fear. Just like your previous fundy group feared "no-my-god". The amazing grace when that fear is gone. The great "it is what it is ... let's move on...together"
Beautifully expressed, all of it, but I especially love the part I bolded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA
"the rich" being more atheists is true. For many reason. One is accountability. With that much money I want to do what I want. I don't need any pesky overseer stopping me for having fun. i kind of agree with them, the way some people present the biblical god , its a pesky overseer stopping some basic fun.
Ain't that the truth. So much energy and time in my life wasted trying not to do anything that might displease God, only to find out it was men, not God, making the rules, and most of them purely out of fear.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:20 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I would not be at all surprised that this sometimes happens on an individual basis.

However, on a broader scale there are so many examples of more religious places (ex: The American South, the United States, southern Europe) demonstrating higher rates of violence than less religious places (ex: the American Northeast/Midwest/West, Canada, northern Europe) that it puts to rest the notion that religious makes society a more peaceful place.

Many theists love to peddle dogma to the contrary, but they assiduously avoid actually seeing if the real world works that way. No wonder - reality isn't on their side.
It's equally ridiculous for people thinking they are morally superior because they happen to live in a region with less criminal activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality