Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Atheism be considered a religion or a Christian denomination?
religion 3 25.00%
denomination 3 25.00%
pagans 6 50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 05:02 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaemonkey View Post
agreed

Apart from a statistically insignificant few outliers, atheists' aren't in the business of "proving" negatives at all. We can certainly point out logical difficulties with specific deities or their adherents though.

Like I said, few of us are interested in attempting prove negatives. Things that don't exist don't leave evidence, and some things that DO exist don't either (at least, not always good evidence).

I can only speak for myself and the atheist's I've known over the years, but most of us could care less about any sort of "supreme importance" of atheism, only the detrimental effects of organized religion in politics and everyday life.
I'm on board here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 05:13 PM

15,881 posts, read 6,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
The Bible calls them "whores".
Hey I though that word would get **** out. Let me try something:

Testing..testing....
whores
"whores
whores"
"whores"
Your momma is a *****

Ok, kinda curious to see what my post looks like after I click submit.

If polygamy ever did become a socially acceptable thing we would need lots of them. It would be fine at first because few women would be interested in it. As it became more norm it might catch on. Then the problem would be all these single guys Madmaxing around without responsibility that comes with a family. If we look at how income distribution is and use it for a rough guideline things could get scary within a mere couple of generations. What are all these leftover men supposed to do for a partner if they want one?

Edit:
I get it. You can type whores but not the singular form.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:33 PM

63,891 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Lack of clarity in representing concepts is at the heart of all the confusion and debate. The central focus of Theists and Atheists should be accounting for the Reality that exists. So in that sense, they are all positing explanations for the existence of Reality (including their own existence). Those explanations are their "religions."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes, a flawed poll. it gives limited option which are mostly irrelevant.

But it's a interesting point, because Atheism Does amount in Law to a religion. That doesn't mean that atheists believe in a god or even a quasi God like the Thetans, or Karma or even the Alien superman -god of the Mormons. It merely means that an atheist with no god -belief or religion has the same rights in law as someone who does.
Yes, it is the religion of ignorance - preferring not to account for Reality using "We don't know."

Old 04-24-2018, 07:31 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times
I'm not going to argue with you, old mate, because you never listen and are totally wrapped up in your own beliefs. As I have said before, you are not a problem, being a religious denomination with one member, and on repeated occasions, shown to unable to fool any of the people any of the time.

You last remark, though perhaps your smiley shows that you intended to pass it of as a quip, is in fact symptomatic of your thinking and needs no further comment from me.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:38 PM

774 posts, read 1,780,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That term is not used for women who have multiple marriage partners (husbands).
OK, give me an example of a woman with multiple husbands in the Bible who is NOT referred to as a "W H O R E".

Old 04-24-2018, 09:48 PM

15,881 posts, read 6,349,256 times
Quote:
OK, give me an example of a woman with multiple husbands in the Bible who is NOT referred to as a "W H O R E".
I see what you did there...tricky

Old 04-24-2018, 10:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted.
Parts of the bible are disgusting, in my opinion, but I wouldn't quite classify them as obscene.

What is obscene, is what fundies believe it gives them permission to be.

Last edited by mensaguy; 04-25-2018 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: Quoted post deleted.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:34 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,150,876 times
Atheism is neither a religion nor a belief system in general. I don't even find the word to be particularly precise or useful.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:37 AM

3,805 posts, read 3,005,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
How many atheists do you know? I'm married to one. She is NOT a christian in any way shape or form, she is one of the kindest people I know, is not the least bit arrogant and will not argue with you religion versus atheism.

Atheists may have been christian at some point, but they came realize religion has no answers.
An atheist was never a Christian to begin with though.
That is not my opinion btw, but the biblical one.
On the OP, of course atheism is not a religion, as there is no deity.
In the same way Scientology is not a religion, for exactly the same reason.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:08 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Parts of the bible are disgusting, ....

In religious instruction class, you could always find them by opening at the well thumbed page edges (origin of the term 'the dirty bits') of the classroom Bibles'.

Oh you did that in The USA, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality