Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 02:22 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
This is true, but seriously, look into backgrounds for neo-Platonist influence.
What were their views on woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 03:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Why has the main current of Christianity produced a steady diet of misogyny for over 2000 years?
Because it was written by men, and not by an enlightened being. Worse than that, the key characters were probably schizophrenics or suffered from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Women are NOT secondary to men. I've said that repeatedly.
So, how many women ruled in Israel, Judah or the combined kingdom?

Your enlightened god could have established democracy, but instead he let people suffer under dictatorships for thousands and thousands of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I guess "manuscripts" = "a tiny fragment"
Christians often claim there are "25,000 full and extant copies", when in fact, there is only one complete work, which is Codex Sinaiticus dated to 350 CE.

These other
"25,000 full and extant copies" which are nothing but literal fragments and scraps of paper that were pieced together to form the 2,813 “witnesses” as they are generally called by Christian theologians.

Of those 2,813 Greek “witnesses,” better than 90% are based on Byzantine doctrine. About 10% (200 or so) deviate greatly from Byzantine doctrine (meaning 100s of lines of disputed text). All 2,813 manuscripts, none of which are complete by any stretch of the imagination, are dated after 800 CE. Only about 5 of the 2,813 Greek manuscripts are actually used in translation, because the others conflict so badly. Those five numbered manuscripts are:

1) #33 circa 800 CE is very Alexandrian in doctrine. It contains parts of the gospels, Acts, Paul, and the catholic Epistles, which differ vastly from all other Epistles (more than 40 disputed lines of text).

2) #81 has a given date of 1044 CE contains complete Acts, Paul, and the catholic Epistles. The text of Acts mostly agrees with Codex Alexandrinus.

3) #1739 circa 950 CE contains most (but not all) of Acts, Paul, and the catholic Epistles. Another that shows Alexandrian influence.

4) E1 circa 1300 CE. These are a collection of gospel fragments that appear to be based on the Caesarean school of thought circa 300 CE.

5) E13 circa 1400 CE. These are a collection of gospel fragments. This group is very important, because it proves John
7:53 to 8:11 is a later addition to the text.

These "schools of thought", the Byzantine, Alexandrian, Caesarean, etc, are different conflicting doctrines about the divinity of Jesus, the resurrection, prophecy and so on.

As you might guess, the Byzantine doctrine based in Constantinople (of the Byzantine Empire -- the old Eastern Roman Empire) is far removed geographically from Alexandria or Caeserea, which are much closer to the Levant and the location of the action.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:36 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
You can make this claim as often as you want and it will still be false every time. If women were truly equal to men why would your Bible have this sick, sadistic rule?

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NAB
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.
Why is that sick?...Is it better to leave her alone and pregnant?...

Old 05-31-2018, 03:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

It would have been better not to rape her in the first place.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:04 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
How about a rule that the rapist pay for her keep, that she can still live with her father and that she is still to be considered clean or whatever word you would want to use to describe a woman who is not of bad character. God was able to do it about animals with cloves and uncover hoofs. Why did he make rules that put so much value on FEMALE virginity? God's way only punishes the victim further and for life, pregnant or not. Doesn't sound that good coming from an all powerful and all loving God.

That is one of the problems we have with your God, he can make a universe but seems to be very limited in what he can tell people, or at least not very imaginative. Myself if I was the God , coming up with a better solution for the rape victim would have had a higher priority than if people could eat shellfish. It's not a good solution and most people were disgusted when this was ordered recently in I think Tunisia and the judge I think recinded that order.

The way that many religious people defend their God leads me to think that they don't understand that being all powerful, all knowing and all loving should result in better stuff from him. I can question this cause even not being a woman I cannot see the rule by a loving God that I must marry my rapist being loving, just or fair.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:22 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:

The punishment for the rapists is he has to pay the father 50 pieces of silver, marry his rape victim, and never divorce her. Geeeeee, that's justice for the rape victim. Are you out of your damn mind?

If the crap backwards, God run society, was set up better and not so misogynistic then perhaps this injustice would not happen and she would be taken care of without having to marry her rapists. I can't believe you are this morally dense.

Only Yawishts and other theists think like this!

Old 05-31-2018, 05:37 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:

Do you think that is/was the best solution?

Your reasoning is used by men today. Evangelicals insist women carry a pregnancy resulting from rape.

I encourage you to think again.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Why would the men want less for themselves? By putting down women, they feel as if they put themselves up. Ultimately, there is always a sense of "chivalry" that "the better must take care of the worse." But men are necessary canon-fodder and women are not as often thought of in that way. In order to entice the military men to join the religion, they are upheld (merely for your birth/nature). Furthermore, by insulting men as "womanly" if they don't have enough courage or force, then the military strength grows (in those terms).

It just evolved like that back when all the little tribes and little empires had to be at each other's throats with armies. With our weapons, things are slightly different (including the need for canon-fodder).

Rome was founded on rape, if I remember their story about the "ascension/disappearance of Romulus" correctly. The rape "victims" then defended their Roman captors (according to their story) in almost Stockholm like manners.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
I'm with you on this one

Old 06-02-2018, 09:34 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
When Mama ain't happy ain't NObody happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality