Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 04:16 PM

79 posts, read 48,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
In verse 15 it speaks about 'unto the coming' of the Lord.....
That ' coming ' is in connection to Matthew 25:31-33 when there will be a ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth.
In other words, there is a time of judgement coming to the people alive on Earth at the time of Matthew 25:31-33.
So, there would be No reason to think that ' return ' would be in the first century.
The Bible book of Revelation was Not written until the very end of the first century.
The setting for Revelation is for our day or time frame - Revelation 1:10; Daniel 12:4,9; 2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13
My understanding is that... In 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 Paul is addressing Christians at the time who were concerned about other believers who had died before Jesus' return (they were worried that those who died before he came back wouldn't get to go to heaven). Paul is assuring them that even they would be included. The language he's using seems as though he is convinced that some of them there would still be alive for Jesus' return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 04:23 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,886,782 times
"But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

Can any Christian really miss the meaning and implications of this? Like in the days of Noah (the first temple) people were surprised by the attack on Jerusalem. Just like they were surprised in 70AD (the second temple) all over again.

If Christians really understood what Jesus was saying back then, they would call him a heretic even today. But they prefer to remain in darkness because they love darkness.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:24 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,624,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's embarrassing that there are adults in the 21st century who believe that silliness will happen.

I want them to really think about their expectations and visualize it down to boxers or briefs.

God sometimes stands on the edge of a lake, fishing. I can hear the snap of the pole, the wind in the trees, and the feeling of the damp earth.

It is sad not to experience beyond the book.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,608,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's embarrassing that there are adults in the 21st century who believe that silliness will happen.

don't use calendar age trout, use brain age.

if i broke your leg when you were ten and didn't fix it. Would I say, no-ba-jesus trout, you're almost, err, 29 , why can't you walk. or, if you practiced your whole life at running, would i say, yo man, you're, err, there's that 29 again , why can't you run faster than that guy over there?

its the same the same with the brain. i think many of our woe's are from people thinking we are created exactly the same. we are not.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,225,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Again, dude. Jesus will accept you if you humble yourself and come to him.

Again, Fundie - do not fear reality. The truth can set you free from those ancient, rusty biblical chains.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,225,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I want them to really think about their expectations and visualize it down to boxers or briefs.

God sometimes stands on the edge of a lake, fishing. I can hear the snap of the pole, the wind in the trees, and the feeling of the damp earth.

They are frightened of life beyond the book. Reality is difficult for some to face.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:41 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,815,887 times
Quote:

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Old 06-13-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't need to take it up with anyone. I am pointing out that when one begins a discussion there is not necessarily a straight line from one point to another...unless of course one doesn't want to even hear other viewpoints.
You should discuss the issue at hand, which is whether Jesus will return and what the gospels say about that. It is assumed that Jesus existed and spoke. Arguing whether Jesus existed is off-topic.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:07 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,624,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The two are not mutually exclusive.

So, you do feel and see Jesus returning internally? You must have imagined the moment beyond the bible, yes?

Old 06-13-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
So, you do feel and see Jesus returning internally? You must have imagined the moment beyond the bible, yes?
Sure, I’ve imagined it, read, studied and discussed it. Personally, I believe in the rapture of the church, before the second coming, so I hope to be in Heaven before that great and terrible day.

Am I correct to assume you do not believe in the second coming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality