Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 09:11 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
By that logic then I guess you think that we should ban hands because they do evil.
I told my kids, no eating without a plate. They said, "Ok". a week later I showed them again. "Ok, what don't you understand dad, I said ok". The third week, there wasn't a thing said. Haven't seen them eat a cookie out side of the kitchen since.

Are they "bad kids"? certainly not. Would some people that do not understand the world around them not understand the solution? certainly, there are humans that can't understand. That doesn't mean I have to act stupid because they do.

Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right,
here we are again,
stuck in the middle.

"sin" is outdated. That's just a basic understanding. anti-anything-looking-religious and my-god-only are the most dangerous ideologies to freedom I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 09:37 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
By that logic then I guess you think that we should ban hands because they do evil.
No.

One, we need hands.

Two, I never mentioned banning it.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:58 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Quote:
No.

It does not follow that because an information source is discredited by myriad examples of false and malignant teachings, that it therefore follows that the existence of the Boston Stranger means we have to cut off everyone's hands.

That is perhaps the worst attempt at logic that I have ever heard.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:29 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
So the Bible then becomes a written source which teaches people these things. What's wrong with that?
In my view nothing's wrong with that. Most of us aren't complaining about people learning valuable moral lessons from the bible (although there are quite a few immoral lessons in there, too). What we're complaining about is the magic and all the totally unsubstantiated "true facts" that christians cite in the bible. I know of no other field than religion where one source or one experiment is trusted as being "truth". And, we resent the implication (well, it's more than just implication) that the bible is the only source of wisdom.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:31 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:

Come on Ozzy. You can do better than that.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
\....
That is perhaps the worst attempt at logic that I have ever heard.
Naw, I've seen worse. It's just really bad.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In my view nothing's wrong with that. Most of us aren't complaining about people learning valuable moral lessons from the bible (although there are quite a few immoral lessons in there, too). What we're complaining about is the magic and all the totally unsubstantiated "true facts" that christians cite in the bible. I know of no other field than religion where one source or one experiment is trusted as being "truth". And, we resent the implication (well, it's more than just implication) that the bible is the only source of wisdom.
I don't see "immoral lessons". I see it telling us what happens when we take ourselves as the sole determiner of what is "true". yeah, the bible as the sole source of wisdom is like stating a cook book is the sole source of wisdom.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:38 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I told my kids, no eating without a plate. They said, "Ok". a week later I showed them again. "Ok, what don't you understand dad, I said ok". The third week, there wasn't a thing said. Haven't seen them eat a cookie out side of the kitchen since.

Are they "bad kids"? certainly not. Would some people that do not understand the world around them not understand the solution? certainly, there are humans that can't understand. That doesn't mean I have to act stupid because they do.

Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right,
here we are again,
stuck in the middle.

"sin" is outdated. That's just a basic understanding. anti-anything-looking-religious and my-god-only are the most dangerous ideologies to freedom I know.

What did you show your children? I am not understanding this.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I showed them why we don't eat without plates.

But that's not the main point. the main point is we won't need the notion of sin when we don't need the notion of police. Its a bummer to be sure, Its just the way it is. Although I do admit, we need a new word.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:50 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Not to grab a cookie and eat it on the way to the park. GROSS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality