Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 05:19 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Actually, I think it was a sensationalistic article, since it said something like "within our vicinity" or something to that effect. Barely even worth reading, since I don't think that primates with telescopes could really know that much about what is really out there. But you can find it with a simple search. I do remember seeing it on a major web browser (MSN or Yahoo).

I just thought it was an interesting question. At least when I posted this.
That phrase "within our vicinity" is a huge, major change in what you said. Somebody more knowledgeable about astronomy can tell you better what scientists mean when they use that term, but basically, it means a planet that we might someday conceivably be able to travel to. Maybe 50 light years is "within our vicinity" while 300 million light years is not.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:20 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What is this obsession you think atheists have?

Based on my observations of the posts in the A&A forum, I don't see most atheists ever giving a thought to God, let alone having a cosmic thirst (whatever that is).

What does evolution have to do with anything we're discussing?
I'll tell you what it is -- it's ego talking. The whole world must believe in what I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 05:35 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll tell you what it is -- it's ego talking. The whole world must believe in what I believe.
it's also disingenuous. They are always talking about god.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:07 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
For some reason most people can't understand why Atheists are so angry sometimes, put yourself in their shoes and you might understand why. Then you take a person who committed their life to God for many years and then they don't believe in God, and they are angry, and it's stands to reason why they are angry if they no longer believe in a God. I believe in God and even I got seriously angry just because I can't let my children go to public school without the teachers pushing their brand of God on my child, and this is intolerable.

People speak about separation of church and state but that is laughable when you are on the other side of the coin. Nobody thinks what an Atheist has to put up with in life because they are all for God, so they don't give it a second thought, and when the Atheist finally gets frustrated, he comes to a forum and people act as if they have no pony in this fight when the fact is, religious people have so much control over their lives at times, it's enough to make somebody seriously angry. But we always have the love of Christ to set as an example for the Atheist, I am sure they see the truth from all the love.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:32 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
This particular obsession for atheists may just be a cosmic thirst for God.
Evolution compels it.
How does that work? How does us not believing in any gods becomes a thirst for your god? How does our 'obsession' have nothing to do with religious terrorism, or the aim to replace science with creationism, but is a thirst for your particular version of your god?

Old 06-29-2018, 01:34 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
We will adjust reality just for you.
I think phetaroi was asking you NOT to do this.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:04 AM

there is also a time component. regions in space has different rates of time. There could be societies that came and went, but due to where they are, we don't see them. Even if their our distance to them makes it look like a signal would reach us.
Due to time dilations, there signal could have past us in our past, or even pass us in our future, but they are here.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:05 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
I think it is perfectly fine to say "we don't know if there is life elsewhere in the universe." We can postulate whether there might be life for various reasons such as the whole Goldilocks idea that in this universe there are likely (based on theory) many planets around a star that is in that sweet spot (not too hot, not too cold) and maybe those planets also have a magnetic "shield" around them to protect the planet. Maybe some of these planets that meet this criteria, also have the organic building blocks of life, etc etc.

Of course, that's based on our limited understanding of what does support life. It could very well be that there are more planets out there that support life in a way that we do NOT understand.

Regardless, why haven't we seen any direct evidence in the form of an actual encounter with an alien being or in the form of some sort of RF signal communication? Even when you account for the vast universe and the vast possibilities that there may be life out there - there is also the matter of time. The universe is 13.8 billion years old. Not all areas of the universe formed into galaxies at the same time. Not all life could have evolved at the same time. It is possible that before our Earth was even formed there was intelligent life elsewhere in the universe - but they had no one to talk to; they were essentially alone. There many have been intelligent life countless times in our universe, but between being separated by large distances and the very small chance of directing a beam of RF towards another planet that might be at the same stage of evolution as your planet... all of these civilizations might have been alone. Or maybe by the time one civilization receives some form of communication from another, 300M+ years have passed and that civilization has died out.

The sad truth may simply be that no planet can support intelligent life long enough to the point where that life can escape the planetary or solar shackles of gravity to explore the universe at a speed that makes it realizable. Take the only home we've ever known. I'd like to think we are a fairly intelligent species. We've come far. We've sent humans to another celestial body. We've sent robots to land on another planet. We've sent them past our own solar system. We are listening for signs of other intelligent life. But that's ONLY in the last 60 years. 60 years is an infinitesimally small window to be listening for other signs of life. And life as we know could be snuffed out before we can escape our own earthly shackles. The earth for the most part has finite resources. Can we harness those resources in order to escape our own annihilation from a multitude of possible cataclysmic events before they run out?

Other civilizations may have faced this same issue and may have been snuffed out before the first multi-celled organism split on Earth.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
there is also a time component. regions in space has different rates of time. There could be societies that came and went, but due to where they are, we don't see them. Even if their our distance to them makes it look like a signal would reach us.
Due to time dilations, there signal could have past us in our past, or even pass us in our future, but they are here.
I believe this is what happened with Mars in the past. I think there was an advanced civilization there at one time.

I just read the other day, they found isotopes that do not appear naturally and only show up if a massive nuclear weapon was deployed.

I know many do not agree on this, but I think that verse in the bible, when Jesus talks about his 'other flocks, not of this fold', I think he is referring to other people/ civilizations he has created in the past.

I also have a feeling the verse that talks about 'things coming onto the earth that fill mens hearts with fear' is referring to an alien invasion or something very similar.

I think when we die, we will find out the human race/planet earth is not unique or special at all, we are just one people among quadrillions or more.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I believe this is what happened with Mars in the past. I think there was an advanced civilization there at one time.

I just read the other day, they found isotopes that do not appear naturally and only show up if a massive nuclear weapon was deployed.

I know many do not agree on this, but I think that verse in the bible, when Jesus talks about his 'other flocks, not of this fold', I think he is referring to other people/ civilizations he has created in the past.

I also have a feeling the verse that talks about 'things coming onto the earth that fill mens hearts with fear' is referring to an alien invasion or something very similar.

I think when we die, we will find out the human race/planet earth is not unique or special at all, we are just one people among quadrillions or more.
the movie 'mission to mars" did that. its possible.

I only don't think that because its more probable that mars, being smaller, couldn't hold an atmosphere as well as earth when the magnetic field was lost. toss in any other event, like an asteroid, and mars took a different path.

I used to feel strongly about shooting cans of poop in all directions in the 80's. now with the discovery of 'space is something" and gravity waves I am less concerned.

a less esoteric ending, for me that is, is that i predict we make the next life form in two hundred years or less. "human's, will be irrelevant. The human body may become irrelevant. "Life forms" may be around us right now and we don't even know it.

I am not talking "spiritual being", as many use that term. I am talking about using the standard model and the periodic table (which is the graphical organizer for the standard model ...lol) to support that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality