Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 02:55 PM

51,005 posts, read 24,507,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
that's not what I see him saying. all he pointed out is that some people, who rush to conclusions, may have closed minds. he is right. But, like you did with me, you changed his claim a bit. I wonder if you will run away when caught, like you did with me ... lmao.

oh yeah, god did it through evolution ends that god thing. But we know what the anti-religious sect of atheism will do with that statement don't we.
Well, here's my general conclusion on the topic. People who value science usually have a far more open mind than people who primarily value religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 02:56 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If life is ever found elsewhere in the universe does that mean that religious folks are further from reality than no believers? Would it prove that there is no God or that God is even more wonderful? Or would it prove that there is life other than on Earth and nothing more?
well, "nothing more" counters observation as much as that god of theirs you hate so much. So I still am unclear just which side is "farther from reality".

Old 06-29-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, here's my general conclusion on the topic. People who value science usually have a far more open mind than people who primarily value religion.
i don't know. one look at the philly, and surrounding area, school systems shows me that there are many people that "value science" and have absolutely closed minds when it comes to working in the real world.

i would we say rational people are rational people. "rational people" tend to have open minds. they may value religion and not know science. i have talked to such people, have you? they tend not to be literal.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:00 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,224,363 times
Quote:
People who value science usually have a far more open mind than people who primarily value religion.
People who value both science and spirituality are clearly more open-minded than those who only value science. That's where we differ.

I'm not about to shut down anything that could have potential. There's still much that we don't know, as any valid scientist would admit.

Those who they think they know everything and have everything figured out are the ones who are anti-scientific, anti-searching, and anti-exploring. In their rush to display self-appointed superiority, they actually reveal the limitations of their minds and attitudes.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-29-2018 at 03:12 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
People who value both science and spirituality are clearly more open-minded than those who only value science. That's where we differ.
Like I told phet, rational people are rational people. Rational people listen to reason. Irrational people tend not to listen to reason.

this life thing is an excellent example. rational believers just say: "wow, god is greater than i thought, cool.". Irrational believers claim 'my holy book is the one true reality."

what's cracks me up is the anti-religious sects of atheism won't let some believers modify their claims based on new information. That sect of atheism is as closed minded as any fundy theists group I have seen.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
That sect of atheism is as closed minded as any fundy theists group I have seen.
Absolutely true. The more time I spend on this forum, the lesser I think of atheists in general. Based on the sampling here, many are more dogmatic and "religious" in fervor than the fundies and bible-thumpers, and yet don't even see it. It's hilarious.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-29-2018 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Absolutely true. The more time I spend on this forum, the lesser I think of atheists (I used to be completely neutral towards them). Based on the sampling here, they're more dogmatic and religious in their fervor than the fundies and bible-thumpers, and yet don't even see it! It's hilarious.
I would caution you to use the word "some". I know you get it. atheists come in many forms. There are sects of atheism as surely as there are sects of theism. many sects of atheism believe in "something".

I am atheist thor, stone cold "how the universe works" atheists. When I lay out the data and link the observation together, no line of logic leads me to a god. I think many theists are misunderstanding the connection to the system around them.

I came in thinking we atheists were about fitting our statements of belief to science and its observations. no matter where it leads us.

You can imagine my dismay when all of the sudden I was told that we need to pass what we say through the filter of anti-religious. i was told to change words and not to talk about some things because "theists can use it and make atheism harder to sell".

I actually had a hannibal-flavor type violent reaction. I was PO-ed that anti-religion thought they can smudge their personal statement of belief all over science.

lmao, they shunned me when i told them they are exactly like fundy theists.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I would caution you to use the word "some". I know you get it. atheists come in many forms. There are sects of atheism as surely as there are sects of theism. many sects of atheism believe in "something".

You can imagine my dismay when all of the sudden I was told that we need to pass what we say through the filter of anti-religious. i was told to change words and not to talk about some things because "theists can use it and make atheism harder to sell".

lmao, they shunned me when i told them they are exactly like fundy theists.
Great points. And you're right about there being variety among groups. "Some" do not necessarily represent the "all".

Old 06-29-2018, 04:24 PM

51,005 posts, read 24,507,624 times
Quote:
i don't know. one look at the philly, and surrounding area, school systems shows me that there are many people that "value science" and have absolutely closed minds when it comes to working in the real world.

i would we say rational people are rational people. "rational people" tend to have open minds. they may value religion and not know science. i have talked to such people, have you? they tend not to be literal.
Define rational. I don't think a literal belief in the bible is rational.

But you are right that individuals are not open or closed minded on all topics.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:34 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,899,131 times
Quote:
Open minded about what?

If fundamentalist Christians are more compassionate than atheists (and I'm not saying that they are) that would mean a heck of a lot more than open-mindedness.

You can a very "open-minded", but selfish person. Open mindedness is not some kind of virtue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality