Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
If you could move on you wouldnt be posting here.
If the religious could move on, we would not be here.

Quote:
The impulse to seek the
Creator is enabled and compelled by evolution.
Except for people with Aspergers. Why, it is like we are wired to believe in purpose whether there is purpose or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 10:40 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Then that is exactly what you said. I compared a cognitive bias what is probably a cognitive bias.

As I never made such an argument, I wonder why you wrote this.

How do you know this? If a person's experience can not be verified, if they are personal, how can you make the claim some are not? The best you can do is say some may be genuine.

'anti-their-religion" because of my personal bias isn't a reasonable start either. 'anti-their-religion" because they have some components I don't agree with, like "go out and save others" is a reasonable start. not a false equivalence between miracles and bias.

Again, not my argument. Clearly the sun did not jump around the sky at Fatima, so some people experienced a miracle that did not happen. They convinced themselves one would occur because a miracle was prophesied. Their cognitive bias gave them a false experience.

And that is why personal experience is a bad argument unless that experience can somehow be verified. Such as a person experiencing a god that makes predictions.
Like i said, I agree with your overall premise. "personal experience", just like the phrase "what if it was your kid", are cop outs.

I just lost the part about personal experience equal to believing in fatma. I went and reread your post. I think I lost you because I didn't read it correctly maybe?

you are saying, if your personal experience is the only proof you need, then a blind person can claim there is no sun rise because he didn't see it?

Old 06-30-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you are saying, if your personal experience is the only proof you need, then a blind person can claim there is no sun rise because he didn't see it?
No, that would be NOT experiencing the sun rise.

What I am saying is that if you experience something like Fatima, or voices in your head, or as in Acts some fuzzy glowing lights, how can you be sure that experience is real, and not your brain providing a false experience for some reason.

The list of cognitive biases on Wikipedia is a good source for seeing just how untrustworthy our brain can be. Which is why I do not rely on personal, unverifiable personal experience for a god, or the imaginary friend my youngest daughter had when she was young.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:17 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
If the religious could move on, we would not be here.

Except for people with Aspergers. Why, it is like we are wired to believe in purpose whether there is purpose or not.
Religious types belong and identify in a religious forum.

What has aspergers got to do with it.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Like i said, I agree with your overall premise. "personal experience", just like the phrase "what if it was your kid", are cop outs.

I just lost the part about personal experience equal to believing in fatma. I went and reread your post. I think I lost you because I didn't read it correctly maybe?

The sun is in the material world.
The mind , qualia, is immaterial.
Belief is even more subjective.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Which is why I do not rely on personal, unverifiable personal experience for a god, or the imaginary friend my youngest daughter had when she was young.
Do you trust your own thoughts ?

Old 06-30-2018, 08:29 PM

11,030 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:

Some of us think in black and white and tend to be critical thinkers, basing our understanding on tangible facts. My 'spiritual experience' could have been my son visiting me in my dream or as omega put it, 'god' coming to me in my dream or as I put it, I was dreaming.

The fact is, I was dreaming it. Why think it was my dead son that came to me in my dream (or 'god' who made me dream it) when it is perfectly explainable as being a dream that seemed real in the dream?

But believe me, I sooo wanted it to be real!

Last edited by 303Guy; 06-30-2018 at 09:38 PM..

Old 06-30-2018, 11:41 PM

23,169 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
We have no evidence of life beyond Earth. To say there must be life elsewhere is based on faith, not logic or common sense
The bible proves that, hell, there are spaceships in the bible

Old 07-01-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
I am talking about those not in forums, but effect us in the real world.

Quote:
Most people think teleologically, that there is a purpose behind things even when there is not. Aspergers do not. So for most people, it is normal to think there are gods behind our existence. People with aspergers do not. So a belief in gods is a product of the brain regardless of the existence of higher powers.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Do you trust your own thoughts ?
Clearly I trust some of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality