Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 04:09 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,718,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yup, so what is more reasonable?

nope? or probably?
What are you asking? Whether or not I think there is intelligent life out there in the universe? The only reasonable stance is a firm 'I don't know', for the reason that we simply have so little data to go by. We've seen no signs of intelligent life. Within our galaxy, that's perhaps a bit odd if intelligent life is at all common. But maybe it's very rare. Or maybe it's rare enough that it occurs, on average, less than once (at any given time) in a galaxy of our size (which is fairly big as far as galaxies go). The intergalactic detection of life would be a daunting task, though there's been at least one interesting survey that necessarily focused solely on civilizations that would span the entirety of their home galaxy. It detected none. But while interesting, the daunting problems of intergalactic travel are such that when I think of whether or not we're 'alone', I tend to think of it as pertaining simply to the Milky Way.

Like I said, we have no way of knowing. We really have but a few data points. There's one positive - Earth. And if we're talking of intelligent life, self-aware life that has reached our technological threshold - say, the first few tentative steps into space, radio telescopy, etc. - we can be certain that we're the only example in our solar system. But while we have to positives beyond our solar system, we don't really have any negative data points in that regard either, except for surmising the certain environments would be hostile to life: near flare stars and perhaps around red dwarfs, near the center of the galaxy, and so forth. That still leave billions of stars around which life could exist. What we don't know, in numerical terms, are the odds of a given planet or moon winning the life lottery. We know it's greater than zero and less than one. That's all. And that's not much.

As such, it would be unreasonable to declare either that there is no other intelligent life out there, or that there probably is other intelligent life out there. Sometimes "I don't know" is the most reasonable answer, no matter how emotionaly unfulfilling some people might find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 04:27 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,608,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
What are you asking? Whether or not I think there is intelligent life out there in the universe? The only reasonable stance is a firm 'I don't know', for the reason that we simply have so little data to go by. We've seen no signs of intelligent life. Within our galaxy, that's perhaps a bit odd if intelligent life is at all common. But maybe it's very rare. Or maybe it's rare enough that it occurs, on average, less than once (at any given time) in a galaxy of our size (which is fairly big as far as galaxies go). The intergalactic detection of life would be a daunting task, though there's been at least one interesting survey that necessarily focused solely on civilizations that would span the entirety of their home galaxy. It detected none. But while interesting, the daunting problems of intergalactic travel are such that when I think of whether or not we're 'alone', I tend to think of it as pertaining simply to the Milky Way.

Like I said, we have no way of knowing. We really have but a few data points. There's one positive - Earth. And if we're talking of intelligent life, self-aware life that has reached our technological threshold - say, the first few tentative steps into space, radio telescopy, etc. - we can be certain that we're the only example in our solar system. But while we have to positives beyond our solar system, we don't really have any negative data points in that regard either, except for surmising the certain environments would be hostile to life: near flare stars and perhaps around red dwarfs, near the center of the galaxy, and so forth. That still leave billions of stars around which life could exist. What we don't know, in numerical terms, are the odds of a given planet or moon winning the life lottery. We know it's greater than zero and less than one. That's all. And that's not much.

As such, it would be unreasonable to declare either that there is no other intelligent life out there, or that there probably is other intelligent life out there. Sometimes "I don't know" is the most reasonable answer, no matter how emotionaly unfulfilling some people might find it.
sorry, no emotion here. Based on what we know it is far more likely that there is life out there. Based on our understanding of stars and planets. Just because some people are afraid to make a reasonable prediction, based on what we do know, doesn't mean the rest have to believe its a more valid to claim to hide behind.

You do bring up a good point. This anti-religion is a great example. People that truly don't know what is more reasonable, or not, really need to stay out of the conversion. flat out rejection of valid claims because someone doesn't know, really only means they need to stay out of it. when push comes to shove that is.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:30 PM

11,072 posts, read 6,011,853 times
For what it is worth, I think that life out there is not only possible or even probable - it is inevitable. If life is in any way remotely possible, it will be there, given enough time.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:01 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,354,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I just read about a recent scientific discovery that says we may be alone in regards to life in the universe.

If this turns out to be true, does it mean that religious people are more in touch with the reality of the cosmos, by either their spirit or intuition, than those who have speculated about life existing outside our world?
We may not be alone in the universe, but there is a good chance that intelligent life capable high technology may be so rare that we will never encounter other intelligent species.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:52 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,640,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
We may not be alone in the universe, but there is a good chance that intelligent life capable high technology may be so rare that we will never encounter other intelligent species.
Given the number of planets and galaxies out there (that we are even aware of), how could you believe intelligent life is rare?!!

It may sound crazy, but i think the universe is probably a lot like Star Wars or Star Trek, in that there are many many different worlds, with varying levels of intelligent life on them, Id imagine there are quadrillions of worlds that are more advanced than we are and also quadrillions that are not as advanced or about the same as us, some are aware of each other, and some are not.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:59 AM

again, the 'time frame" issue arises. "our time" may be so different than their 'time frame" that they came and went already. or, to them, we are as fleeting as a bug's life.

The first stars probably produced the precursors to life and seeded the universe in the first generation of stars. We were going to be here from the beginning.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
again, the 'time frame" issue arises. "our time" may be so different than their 'time frame" that they came and went already. or, to them, we are as fleeting as a bug's life.

The first stars probably produced the precursors to life and seeded the universe in the first generation of stars. We were going to be here from the beginning.
Plus there are the other dimensions as well, some theorize there are numerous other dimensions besides ours, so that would mean, there may be 1000s of different universes!

This makes us even more insignificant!

Old 07-08-2018, 05:21 PM

63,908 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Plus there are the other dimensions as well, some theorize there are numerous other dimensions besides ours, so that would mean, there may be 1000s of different universes!
Our existence is the source for the reproduction of God's consciousness so no matter what percentage we represent, we are not remotely insignificant.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our existence is the source for the reproduction of God's consciousness so no matter what percentage we represent, we are not remotely insignificant.
I disagree with that, we have no way of knowing if we are the only source.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

yeah true, I usually stick with "what we can see" because it keeps our feet anchored so our heads don't fly off. I keep within 50 au's, at the most. But yeah, you are most correct.

a real time example is dark matter. if it is 6 x's more prevalent than there could be multiple life forms "on top", maybe a better way of saying it would be "overlaid" on us right now.

every conclusion i draw, I link back to the standard model. If it can be done, its more valid than a claim that can't be. fro now that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality