Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:51 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Some do not realize that without hunting, there would be a tremendous OVER POPULATION of certain animals - that not only would harm them but, harm the enviornment and hurt humans.
Would there be? The only 'overpopulated' animals on this planet are humans -- before we arrived, and gummed up the works, overpopulation wasn't a problem.

Think about it: when someone shoots a four deer, that's four fewer deer for the wolves to hunt. The wolves in the area begin to fight amongst themselves, which causes a good many of them to die, which causes a boom in the deer population.

We cut down forestland to make farms -- which forces the animals previously living in that forest to migrate to *other* forest areas. They then rely on the animal life of that new environment, which may not be adapted to the 'new arrivals', thus leading to a breeding surge, which *causes* overpopulation.

We -- humans -- are Earth's overpopulated species.

Last edited by FredNotBob; 03-30-2008 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Added paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 12:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Would there be? The only 'overpopulated' animals on this planet are humans -- before we arrived, and gummed up the works, overpopulation wasn't a problem.
But - man is here now.

Some years ago, the Department of Interior put a halt on deer hunting in the Kaibab National Forest. Within 3 years, the deer population was so high that they began to kill one another, they came down into populated areas (near Flagstaff, Az), actually attacked humans and so on.

Needless to say, the deer hunting was restored, the deer herd was "thinned" and the problems encountered went away.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:21 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
But - man is here now.

Some years ago, the Department of Interior put a halt on deer hunting in the Kaibab National Forest. Within 3 years, the deer population was so high that they began to kill one another, they came down into populated areas (near Flagstaff, Az), actually attacked humans and so on.

Needless to say, the deer hunting was restored, the deer herd was "thinned" and the problems encountered went away.
Here on the east coast, there are 4-5 times as many deer now as there were when the colonists first arrived. Man has disrupted natural balance - or one could more accurately say that the Europeans disrupted the balance. Man hunting and eradicating wolves is what caused the imbalance. Not enuf predators left to cull the deer herds. The huge population of deer causes a lot of cascading problems. I hit 2 suicidal deer myself and it pretty much ruined my day.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:01 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
"Thou shalt not commit murder" is the actual commandment and applies to fellow humans. We were given dominion over the Earth and all the animals, and we are supposed to eat them. It is kinder not to eat them alive.
Good point Bideshi.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:48 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
There is nothing inherently wrong with hunting, in and of itself. It's the attitude behind it that matters, in my opinion. Personally, I have no use for trophy hunting, and I see no particular value in it. However, there is a difference between hunting for meat, and hunting for trophies.

Man has hunted since the beginning of time, and just because most of us, here in the United States, and other industrialized countries, have access to grocery stores, doesn't mean that people should not hunt for meat, if they so choose. I can tell you that hunting for one's meat, (or even raising your own), is actually more honest, so to speak, than running into your local grocery store for a roast, or to a fast food joint for a hamburger, (not to mention that the meat from a wild, or homegrown animal is actually safer to eat, because the meat is not full of hormones, and chemicals). In the wild, the percentage of the success rate for hunters is really not that high. In other words, most deer, elk, etc., don't wind up in someone's freezer. Even with the modern firearms, and other hunting tools, those who hunt are actually still at a disadvantage when it comes to matching their wits against those of any prey. The wild is their domain, not ours.

I find it interesting that some people state that they eat meat, but apparently they still have a problem with hunting itself. I would suggest that any who feel this way, should go to a slaughterhouse, (where their beef, pork, and chicken comes from), then go on a fair chase hunt with an ethical hunter, (and yes, most hunters are, though unfortunately, there are also "slob hunters"). I have no problem with eating beef, and such, but I can tell you that most of us would far rather go into the woods on a fair hunt than to be at that slaughterhouse, hands down.

Man is a predator, no matter how we try to pretty things up. Our eyes are placed in the front of our head, just like any other predator, (at least, of the warm-blooded variety). Our teeth are made for both the grinding of plant matter, and the tearing of meat, like all omnivores. We need to also remember that very few prey animals are going to die of old age, in the wild. Most of them will be eaten by predators, (man is only one of many), and the rest will die of disease and/or starvation, none of which is a pretty way to die. Keeping that in mind, there is no way for man to eat meat, whether wild or domestic, without the taking of life, and we should be mindful of that, and I believe that people who hunt should do so ethically, cleanly, and as humanely as possible. I believe our Creator expects no less from us.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

For non-believers, what is your take on hunting? Do you find it morally acceptable or do you find it much in the same way as I do?
Good question. Personally I find it wasteful for someone to hunt if it will not be eaten. I don't hunt, but if that's what someone else chooses to do then it's their choice as long as it's not an endangered species or something.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
There is nothing inherently wrong with hunting, in and of itself. It's the attitude behind it that matters, in my opinion. Personally, I have no use for trophy hunting, and I see no particular value in it. However, there is a difference between hunting for meat, and hunting for trophies.

Man has hunted since the beginning of time, and just because most of us, here in the United States, and other industrialized countries, have access to grocery stores, doesn't mean that people should not hunt for meat, if they so choose. I can tell you that hunting for one's meat, (or even raising your own), is actually more honest, so to speak, than running into your local grocery store for a roast, or to a fast food joint for a hamburger, (not to mention that the meat from a wild, or homegrown animal is actually safer to eat, because the meat is not full of hormones, and chemicals). In the wild, the percentage of the success rate for hunters is really not that high. In other words, most deer, elk, etc., don't wind up in someone's freezer. Even with the modern firearms, and other hunting tools, those who hunt are actually still at a disadvantage when it comes to matching their wits against those of any prey. The wild is their domain, not ours.

I find it interesting that some people state that they eat meat, but apparently they still have a problem with hunting itself. I would suggest that any who feel this way, should go to a slaughterhouse, (where their beef, pork, and chicken comes from), then go on a fair chase hunt with an ethical hunter, (and yes, most hunters are, though unfortunately, there are also "slob hunters"). I have no problem with eating beef, and such, but I can tell you that most of us would far rather go into the woods on a fair hunt than to be at that slaughterhouse, hands down.

Man is a predator, no matter how we try to pretty things up. Our eyes are placed in the front of our head, just like any other predator, (at least, of the warm-blooded variety). Our teeth are made for both the grinding of plant matter, and the tearing of meat, like all omnivores. We need to also remember that very few prey animals are going to die of old age, in the wild. Most of them will be eaten by predators, (man is only one of many), and the rest will die of disease and/or starvation, none of which is a pretty way to die. Keeping that in mind, there is no way for man to eat meat, whether wild or domestic, without the taking of life, and we should be mindful of that, and I believe that people who hunt should do so ethically, cleanly, and as humanely as possible. I believe our Creator expects no less from us.
Excellent post. I totally agree.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:21 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by CelticLady1
Quote:
Man is a predator, no matter how we try to pretty things up.
True man is a predator, but modern man is a serial killer.
A lion, unlike a modern human, only hunts to eat and does not consider hunting a job or a hobby. Although a serial killer also kills out of necessity, but because taking life is the only thing that satisfies him, he keeps on doing it as an addiction.
A serial killer is the only animal stupid enough to kill itself into extinction, just like all the other junkies. Like junkies a serial killer has no eye for how nature exactly works, he only has eyes for his satisfaction.

Wherever modern man settles down, the 1st thing he does is kill into extinction those plants and animals that are his direct 'rival'. When all this is done he hunts for 'sports'. The problem is that without the natural big predators, rats and bugs start to thrive, because humanity has started to chip at the chain of life (or food) and killed off those animals who naturally prey on rats and bugs.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:35 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Default Great topic

Trophy hunting.....proving to the world that you don't understand Darwinism

Given my preference I'll eat a nice juicy beef steak or a plate of bacon, but if I needed the meat, I'd try to shoot a nice tender yearling over a stringy old buck any day

Random thought....wild animals do a good job of harvesting plant matter in the forest which frees up cropland to grow plants for fuel.

So.....how long until we see deer hunts or meat marketed as part of 'green living'?

Old 03-31-2008, 02:32 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
hmm, i wonder if it'll drive this conversation off topic by asking on comments regarding the eating of meat. In a society advanced enough to allow people the ability to get their protein from other more efficient and more ethical sources, why is it that we are obsessed with animal meat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality