Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 07:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, one is breaking YOUR law, the others are not. They are not the same thing.
What? What's MY law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:47 AM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What? What's MY law?
I am sorry. I presumed you lived in the United States.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:50 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
See, that would be a clever way to handle it. There'd be no real outcry over it. Maybe the owner wouldn't like Hell's Angels showing up or the Secular Humanists of America or some such group. But, it would have flown under the radar.
With certainty. Who could possibly find fault with giving a discount to groups of 20 or more?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:59 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
With certainty. Who could possibly find fault with giving a discount to groups of 20 or more?
19 people.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
All the tap dancing in the world to try to justify discrimination on the basis of religion cannot take way the fact that it's discrimination. And it's illegal.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, this is not about church and state directly, it is about discrimination based on certain legally specified categories, whether to harm persons in such categories or to give them advantages. If there were a group interested, they might challenge discrimination based on sex for those organizations that waive cover charges for women. Senior citizens are ONLY protected in matters of employment. Military is not one of the specified categories, schools are not among the specified categories. Such discriminations IS different from the restaurant in question because the group involved IS one of the specified categories: religion.

Why is this so hard to understand? Pull your heads out of that dark place.
LOL! I am aware of protected groups laws. I believe that the one that has to pull his head out of the dark place is you. Take a deep breath, OK, and take it easy.

The protected groups laws in Title VII and other acts refer to employment (as you stated). With that in mind, many of those laws are for the federal government to follow. The private businesses have more leeway in employment laws depending on the number of employees they have.

When it comes to business strategies, business have more leeway to do whatever they want for the most part. States have created laws to curb this though.

A restaurant owner for the most part can give preferences to any group he wants. That is my main point in my previous message.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 07-24-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It is the laws of your country that a business can not discriminate on the grounds of race or religion (among others). Someone posted the rules earlier.

None of your examples fall under these categories.

As to why these actions are taken, it is to stop certain religious groups from trying to increase their role in a secular nation. It is for the benefit of all, as I am sure you would not like to be forced to worship in a way that goes against your beliefs.

I find it funny when some Christians complain about a process that actually benefits them.
My answer the same as before.

I do not know if any of you have taken an Employment Law class. If not, take one and you will learn that discrimination may be allowed to some degree on a protected class individual if the business can prove that he or she is not discriminating because the employee is woman, black, etc. but for certain business necessities.
However, many business do have a degree of freedom to give discounts to whatever groups they want whether they are protected groups or not.
I can see many of the comments are based on a lot of hearsay as if laws are so clear. Take a business law class and you will see that laws are not as clear cut as many perceive them to be.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 07-24-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
If the owner was really just interested in generating more business, he would have had the same discount for everyone's breakfast. That makes more sense than what he did. Maybe he thought non-churchgoers don't get up and have breakfast on Sundays.
From a business standpoint, that makes a lot of sense. I suppose the business owners lost revenues and backed off the special discount, business sense again.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 07-24-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
All the tap dancing in the world to try to justify discrimination on the basis of religion cannot take way the fact that it's discrimination. And it's illegal.
Again, discrimination per say is not necessarily illegal. It may not be ethical or may not make sense but it is not necessarily illegal.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 07-24-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
"What if" the manager stabbed everyone who entered that wasn't Christian? While we're "what iffing" we may as well cover all bases. "What if" the manager spits in everyone's food who doesn't come in with a church bulletin? Maybe you could start a new thread of all the things the restaurant could do (but isn't) to non Christians that would be awful.

There are special discounts for preferred groups all over the place. It sticks in some people's craw when it's a religious affiliation (and you don't have to be affiliated, no one will question you, you can just bring in any bulletin) but they don't bat an eye if you get a discount at Rudy's barbecue by presenting a ticket to the local high school football game. Or a kid gets a free ice cream at Chuck E Cheese for presenting a good report card. What about people who don't like to go to high school football games? Tough darts. What if you're 80 and you don't go to school so you don't have a report card? Sorry, if you want ice cream, take out your wallet.

I have discussed stuff with you before, phetaroi, and I'm surprised you're kind of being obtuse.

Preferred groups get special treatment. Frequent flyers get perks. On a less structured level, frequent customers to a nice restaurant get pushed to the head of the line when they arrive to dine.

No one is rending their hair and clothing about that.

If head shops had coupons at the register - you take this coupon and your receipt from the headshop, you get a discount on doritos and chocolate milk at HEB. Fine with me. ;D
Hit it on the nail! I have not doubt that many of the complainers ulterior motive is disdain for religious people but cloak it with discrimination claims, equality, etc.
As you said it, I do not see people this forum or others complain about a restaurant that gives discounts to other types of groups. Now, a religious business does it, ranting! ranting! and more ranting!
I do not belong to any religion, nor do I believe in Jesus to be the Son of God, or that the Bible is the word of God. However, I don't allow my disagreement with a lot of religious theology to become biases and focus on how any religious group does.

You have a great day.
elamigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality