Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 10:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's you who's being obtuse for one simple reason -- it's your special little group that was receiving preferred treatment.

Frequent flyer is not comparable at all. I used frequent flyer miles often. I earned them by paying full fare on other flights, and everyone had the opportunity to honestly earn such miles.
This is what I am talking about. I noticed your disdainful rhetoric "it's your special little group" that give a clue of what may be your ulterior motive of possible disdain to religious groups. You throw the discrimination claim to attack the special little group as you call them.
You have a great day.
elamigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
If I ran that restaurant I would give the 10% discount to .......groups of over 20.......

Your church bulletin could be used as proof of being part of a group if you arrive at roughly the same time.

More than one way to skin a cat and shut up the anti-religion zealots.
That is the reality, "anti-religious zealots".

I have stayed away from this forum for a while and it has not changed. A long time ago, I used to come to this forum. My perception was that theist would be here discussing theological topics and to learn from each other.
I noticed that many come to this forum to attack you guys. The funnies part is that they start threads under the disguise that they want to discuss. However, their rhetoric is very demeaning to you, talk down on you, and try to make you look dumb. I remember a long time ago that I brought this to the attention to one writer and he said that he was right to be disdainful because he hated ignorance.

In all fairness, on occasion I do see a writer that truly tries to have a good philosophical discussion and tries to understand theology and is respectful and I admire that.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 07-24-2018, 11:09 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
That is the reality, "anti-religious zealots".

I have stayed away from this forum for a while and it has not changed. A long time ago, I used to come to this forum. My perception was that theist would be here discussing theological topics and to learn from each other.
I noticed that many come to this forum to attack you guys. The funnies part is that they start threads under the disguise that they want to discuss. However, their rhetoric is very demeaning to you, talk down on you, and try to make you look dumb. I remember a long time ago that I brought this to the attention to one writer and he said that he was right to be disdainful because he hated ignorance.

In all fairness, on occasion I do see a writer that truly tries to have a good philosophical discussion and tries to understand theology and is respectful and I admire that.
You have a great day.
elamigo
Nailed it.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:17 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
My answer the same as before.

I do not know if any of you have taken an Employment Law class. If not, take one and you will learn that discrimination may be allowed to some degree on a protected class individual if the business can prove that he or she is not discriminating because the employee is woman, black, etc. but for certain business necessities.
However, many business do have a degree of freedom to give discounts to whatever groups they want whether they are protected groups or not.
I can see many of the comments are based on a lot of hearsay as if laws are so clear. Take a business law class and you will see that laws are not as clear cut as many perceive them to be.
You have a great day.
elamigo
Funny, they taught me in law school to read an entire law.

Like the part where the Civil Rights Act says

Quote:
(a) All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.
https://www.justice.gov/crt/title-ii...accommodations

So yes, it's illegal discrimination for a restaurant or other place of public accommodation to give discounts on the basis of religion. It's actually quite clear.

you have a great day too!

Old 07-24-2018, 11:34 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
This is what I am talking about. I noticed your disdainful rhetoric "it's your special little group" that give a clue of what may be your ulterior motive of possible disdain to religious groups. You throw the discrimination claim to attack the special little group as you call them.
You have a great day.
elamigo
I disapprove of the influence of religion on this nation. I've never made any secret of that.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Funny, they taught me in law school to read an entire law.

Like the part where the Civil Rights Act says

https://www.justice.gov/crt/title-ii...accommodations

So yes, it's illegal discrimination for a restaurant or other place of public accommodation to give discounts on the basis of religion. It's actually quite clear.

you have a great day too!
Did you learn in the class that the Civil Rights Act is mainly directed to federal entities? I am not implying that some of those laws may not apply down to the lowest level like a restaurant. Looks like you read the entire law but may have failed to take a close look at different cases at federal, state, and even at county levels. It is important to read some finer details of the law..

I can go directly to The Constitution and use some clause to fit my views but it is important to read some case studies. Looks like you need to do that, not just read an act words and apply them at face value without reading the spirit of the law, the intent, and court decisions, not just the letter of the law.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 07-24-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I disapprove of the influence of religion on this nation. I've never made any secret of that.
That is great, it is your freedom to believe as you want. I am not against that at all. I won't repeat what I wrote before.

However, you may disapprove all you want but you can't deny the religious principles that founded this nation. It is a fact. Religion is a very important part of many people's lives. The problem with that can be that there are religious zealots that do give a bad name to the rest of those that are genuinely caring and fair people.

My take on that is that I do argue against zealotry. You may not be an anti-religious zealot but there are many in this forum. What is your intent to participate in this forum? You do not have to answer me. You know if it is to simply argue because it is your crusade (no pun intended) to show them wrong. Is that what it is? Only you know that.

The bell curve will most likely apply in your group. In one end there are the anti-religious zealots in one extreme just as the theists have theirs.
You have great day.
elamigo

Old 07-24-2018, 11:45 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
42 U.S.C. § 2000a-6(a) Whenever the Attorney General has reasonable cause to believe that any person or group of persons is engaged in a pattern or practice of resistance to the full enjoyment of any of the rights granted by this title, and that the pattern or practice is of such a nature and is intended to deny the full exercise of the rights herein described, the Attorney General may bring a civil action in the appropriate district court of the United States by filing with it a complaint (1) signed by him (or in his absence the Acting Attorney General), (2) setting forth facts pertaining to such pattern or practice, and (3) requesting such preventive relief, including an application for a permanent or temporary injunction, restraining order or other order against the person or persons responsible for such pattern or practice, as he deems necessary to insure the full enjoyment of the rights herein described.

So if the AG feels a group has been wronged, he can file a complaint.

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 07-24-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-24-2018, 11:50 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Did you learn in the class that the Civil Rights Act is mainly directed to federal entities? I am not implying that some of those laws may not apply down to the lowest level like a restaurant. Looks like you read the entire law but may have failed to take a close look at different cases at federal, state, and even at county levels. It is important to read some finer details of the law..

I can go directly to The Constitution and use some clause to fit my views but it is important to read some case studies. Looks like you need to do that, not just read an act words and apply them at face value without reading the spirit of the law, the intent, and court decisions, not just the letter of the law.
You have a great day.
elamigo

This is just wrong in so many ways I can't even.

In any case, yes, the Civil Rights Act applies to places of public accommodation, which by explicit definition includes restaurants. That has nothing to do with any of the word salad you posted.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:55 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
That is great, it is your freedom to believe as you want. I am not against that at all. I won't repeat what I wrote before.

However, you may disapprove all you want but you can't deny the religious principles that founded this nation. It is a fact. Religion is a very important part of many people's lives. The problem with that can be that there are religious zealots that do give a bad name to the rest of those that are genuinely caring and fair people.

My take on that is that I do argue against zealotry. You may not be an anti-religious zealot but there are many in this forum. What is your intent to participate in this forum? You do not have to answer me. You know if it is to simply argue because it is your crusade (no pun intended) to show them wrong. Is that what it is? Only you know that.

The bell curve will most likely apply in your group. In one end there are the anti-religious zealots in one extreme just as the theists have theirs.
You have great day.
elamigo
I can certainly deny that the religious principles that founded this nation were wise or fairly carried out. Religion is a very important part of many people's lives, and the bane of other people's lives. And I don't deny that a personal belief in religion should be everybody's right. But as soon as it steps beyond the front door into the public, that's when I hold it in disdain. Because all too many American religionists want freedom for their religion, but not freedom for all religions.

Oh no, I'm happy to answer the question: I am here to be one more voice that says you religionists have no right to impinge on the rights of others, and "we" aren't going to continue to accept it without speaking out.

And just to be clear, this thread is about, at least in my view, two different things. What's legal...and what's right and moral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality