Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:29 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times

Advertisements

I just sit here and wonder why a member of a religion that has been decided NON-Christian as long as it's existed.....would want to identify as a Christian?

We have people posting here from several different groups that have historically self-identified as being different from the rest of the Christian mainstream, even claiming to be the only representatives of Christianity on Earth....yet here they are saying they're just ordinary Christians. Why?

Why deny major facets of the faith, and still believe you are one of us? Why is it so important to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 09:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I just sit here and wonder why a member of a religion that has been decided NON-Christian as long as it's existed.....would want to identify as a Christian?

We have people posting here from several different groups that have historically self-identified as being different from the rest of the Christian mainstream, even claiming to be the only representatives of Christianity on Earth....yet here they are saying they're just ordinary Christians. Why?

Why deny major facets of the faith, and still believe you are one of us? Why is it so important to you?
Why is it so important to YOU who believes themselves to be Christian?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Why is it so important to YOU who believes themselves to be Christian?
You tell me. You seemed to be pretty quick to correct me when I made a statement you believed to be wrong regarding animism.

Why is it so important to you?

To be honest, most of those that might be in the groups I'm referring to would get pretty bent if I started calling myself a member of their groups. I find that odd, since they also want to be a part of mine, without actually believing what we believe.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:11 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
I don't know of any such people on this forum, BaptistFundie. Maybe if you gave a few examples, it would help. Or, if you don't want to name names, then at least mention which religions seem to be wrongly calling themselves Christian.

Quote:
I'm not aware of anyone who has been doing that, but then maybe I've missed something you've caught.

Quote:
Why deny major facets of the faith, and still believe you are one of us?
That doesn't even make sense? Maybe it's that people don't even seem to be able to agree on what the "major facets" (I think you may have meant "tenets") of the Christian faith are. You might start by outlining them as you see them. I'd say, for instance, that the most essential tenet of Christianity is the worship of Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, and recognizing that it is only through Him that we are able to attain salvation and eternal life in God's presence. Belief in those things ought, in my opinion, to qualify a person as a Christian.

Quote:
Well, I can't give you an answer to that. Maybe someone you had in mind in your opening paragraph will be able to give you some thoughts.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
You tell me. You seemed to be pretty quick to correct me when I made a statement you believed to be wrong regarding animism.

To be honest, most of those that might be in the groups I'm referring to would get pretty bent if I started calling myself a member of their groups. I find that odd, since they also want to be a part of mine, without actually believing what we believe.
I didn't correct you for making a statement about animism. I corrected you for using the word "claim."

Please stop misrepresenting me.

You have a problem with people saying they are Christian when you believe otherwise.

The problem isn't theirs. It's yours.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:23 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,703 times
Quote:

What religions are you referring to and who determined that they were Non-Christian?

Old 10-04-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
What religions are you referring to and who determined that they were Non-Christian?
I await the response with bated breath.

And popcorn.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't know of any such people on this forum, BaptistFundie. Maybe if you gave a few examples, it would help. Or, if you don't want to name names, then at least mention which religions seem to be wrongly calling themselves Christian.
I'd sure hate to ruffle some feathers by naming names. That might be a rules violation. We know that some people get upset at suggesting that their religion isn't Christian, no matter how wacky their beliefs are.
Quote:
I'm not aware of anyone who has been doing that, but then maybe I've missed something you've caught.

That doesn't even make sense? Maybe it's that people don't even seem to be able to agree on what the "major facets" (I think you may have meant "tenets") of the Christian faith are. You might start by outlining them as you see them. I'd say, for instance, that the most essential tenet of Christianity is the worship of Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, and recognizing that it is only through Him that we are able to attain salvation and eternal life in God's presence. Belief in those things ought, in my opinion, to qualify a person as a Christian.
There have been some major church councils that have hammered those out. The Bible also explicitly states some things that a person MUST believe in.
Quote:
Well, I can't give you an answer to that. Maybe someone you had in mind in your opening paragraph will be able to give you some thoughts.
Again....I would not be audacious enough to suggest anyone by name.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I didn't correct you for making a statement about animism. I corrected you for using the word "claim."

Please stop misrepresenting me.

You have a problem with people saying they are Christian when you believe otherwise.

The problem isn't theirs. It's yours.
Well shucks...if people can't even agree what animism is....

Old 10-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Well shucks...if people can't even agree what animism is....
Deflection.

Again/still/always.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality