Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 03:35 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I put it to Mystic, and he first tried to argue that training courses are all over the place, which of course I could show, weren't and that's the last I can remember other the ood old turn up and claim the same thing again, and no doubt claim that the rebuttal never happened.

Jung, Campbell, Graves, Eliade and such may not be "training courses" but they certainly provide material for such training to anyone who is interested. I would be surprised if Universities like Princeton did not offer in something like myth and religion in the development of faithperception. You proved a negative?

Old 08-19-2018, 05:30 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Jung, Campbell, Graves, Eliade and such may not be "training courses" but they certainly provide material for such training to anyone who is interested. I would be surprised if Universities like Princeton did not offer in something like myth and religion in the development of faithperception. You proved a negative?
I'm not sure whether I "Proved" anything but the study of all manner of human thought may answer some questions and how and why we think.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Actually, this is not very original either. It is simply adapting science to the Religious theory or the religious theory to the science. It is taking the evidential support of the fossil record for the theory of evolution, and applying it to human social development. Why not then just say 'social development'? Well, that would give the game away, wouldn't it? calling it 'fossil record' takes it out of the sphere of human thoyght and makes it look like a 'natural phenomenon' which is inexplicable by natural causes, so must be directed by God. To complete the smokescreen, you call it 'spiritual' development rather than human ethical and moral thought, and it's got a fair chance of fooling some of those who are either mentally succeptible to being bamboozled or who have been semi-brainwashed into it by religious conditioning.

Even then Mystic is habitually cagey about actually explaining it. Instead he tosses out portentious - sounding terms with a few sciencey -words in, plus a few impudent faith -claims that he hopes people will swallow without question. We already know why - the basis is Faith - as absolutely usual, and then fiddle some ideas to make it sound convincing. Mystic in fact does this very well indeed, but not well enough to fool anyone who troubles to dig into it.

It might be interesting to open a Poll on '

"Do you buy Mystic's Hypothesis?"

"Totally"
"a lot of his own Beliefs. but essentially, correct".
"Interesting, but really quite speculative."
"Total fantasy."

But, is there any need? Is anybody really bamboozled by it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
+1 to Transponder.

Mystic uses it to sound authoritative, and to sneak in the inference that he is drawing upon an established body of knowledge, rather than pulling stuff out of his ... backside.

Doing a google search for the phrase pulls up all of 7 hits, one of which leads to this forum. The rest of the hits lead either to sermon-style websites or other religious discussion forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It is a bit more sophisticated than that. Mystic is implying that the evolution of different religions (and different versions of God) is simply us getting closer to understanding his version of God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Yes, it is clear that he is trying to create an all encompassing synthesis. My objection to this specific phrase is that he throws it around as if such a thing actually exists, and builds upon the implications as if it does.

Using the concept as a premise in a logical argument causes his argument to fail, and he hopes that by using a nifty phrase we will not notice that it is an unfounded assumption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
As T pointed out, it makes cherry picking what you want from any and all previous religious beliefs as support for your claim sound sciencey and all . Despite MPDs claim of routinely meeting God , he seems to need his beliefs to be confirmed in some manner in a semi or pseudo science sort of way .
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
They're trying to make religion as verifiable as science, and doing that is a lie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I've googled it...it's an original concept, originating from Mystic.

So it's bol*ocks then!

Old 08-20-2018, 05:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
In a Scrotshell.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:43 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Yes, boll*cks is as good a way as any to put it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality