Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:11 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because unlike us, he actually is better than everyone else. He is perfect, and he is without flaw.
Hating others IS a flaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 01:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
No. Love, and hate, are both attributes of the same God. Jacob he loved, Esau he hated. He's a big God.
You describe a very small, very needy, very inept god-thing.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:44 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You describe a very small, very needy, very inept god-thing.
Or one created my the limited, superstitious and fearful minds of men. A super hero with a personality disorder. And a god-sized ego too ! YIKES !

A couple of years ago, I posted a survey elsewhere where I asked hypothetically* 'If you could agree to go to hell and in exchange everyone else would get to go to heaven, would you do it out of your love for humanity? '
This was posted to Christians, and over 60% said "NO WAY.."
Most would expound and say "I'm not giving up my place for someone else" (selfish) ot "Others don't deserve it (vain) it seems that many comments indicated that people were looking out for themselves first and foremost.
A few f of the others said "I would do it for kids, or family or spouse but not for strangers" Or "depends on who the others that go to heaven are" (I stated everyone but that must not have been clear)
Very few said yes. Well under 5 Percent.

So does this show that Christians are selfish people like everyone else? Maybe. But it also hints that in order to sell a certain religion, someone must appeal to the selfishness and even the greed if I may of the masses. To suggest that someone else will die so that I can go to heaven...that is ok....but to suggest that I have to die so that others can go to Heaven...well, that is not acceptable. Can't do something to help out others

* Assuming it was a valid option and the places were real.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:56 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
When I was a hell-believing Christian, I had severe depressive episodes. Worst, most anguishing pain I’ve ever experienced. In the throes of that depression, I thought about hell a lot, because I felt that surely what I was going through had to be a small taste of what it would be like. I wish I could say I was noble enough to save humanity from such a fate (if I still believed in it) but I really don’t know if I could be. An eternity of that kind of agony is unconscionable to me. If a “god” who would subject even one sentient being to such a fate existed, it would be a monster beyond description.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:17 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
When I was a hell-believing Christian, I had severe depressive episodes. Worst, most anguishing pain I’ve ever experienced. In the throes of that depression, I thought about hell a lot, because I felt that surely what I was going through had to be a small taste of what it would be like. I wish I could say I was noble enough to save humanity from such a fate (if I still believed in it) but I really don’t know if I could be. An eternity of that kind of agony is unconscionable to me. If a “god” who would subject even one sentient being to such a fate existed, it would be a monster beyond description.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
... no one can die for the sins of another:

The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the father. Every man shall be put to death for his own sin. [Deuteronomy 24:16]

How do Christians square with this?...
Exactly.
Well, as a Christian I became a non-Christian...this is one reason. So there you have it.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Yes. I have always has a soft spot for James (brother of Jesus, not the son of Zebedee).
I am actually surprised it even made it into the New Testament. Many traditional/orthodox Christians have wanted to have it removed. It almost fits into the Old Testament better.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:39 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:
Jesus is God. Simple enough
Quote:
Jesus is God the Son.
“Simple enough”?

Old 08-17-2018, 11:47 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
A couple of years ago, I posted a survey elsewhere where I asked hypothetically* 'If you could agree to go to hell and in exchange everyone else would get to go to heaven, would you do it out of your love for humanity? '
This was posted to Christians, and over 60% said "NO WAY.."
Most would expound and say "I'm not giving up my place for someone else" (selfish) ot "Others don't deserve it (vain) it seems that many comments indicated that people were looking out for themselves first and foremost.
A few f of the others said "I would do it for kids, or family or spouse but not for strangers" Or "depends on who the others that go to heaven are" (I stated everyone but that must not have been clear)
Very few said yes. Well under 5 Percent.

So does this show that Christians are selfish people like everyone else? Maybe. But it also hints that in order to sell a certain religion, someone must appeal to the selfishness and even the greed if I may of the masses. To suggest that someone else will die so that I can go to heaven...that is ok....but to suggest that I have to die so that others can go to Heaven...well, that is not acceptable. Can't do something to help out others

* Assuming it was a valid option and the places were real.
Interesting! Well BF. Would you go??

Old 08-18-2018, 01:46 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
if he is G-d, then he sacrificed nothing...

Quote:
Except pain, anguish, death, wrath of God the Father, etc...

Literally sweating drops of blood because he was in so much anguish prior to the crucifixion. He suffered.

Come to your Messiah, Richard. You still can.
There have been thousands of children throughout history that suffered far more.

There’s that BFun.

Jesus, in your belief is alive, right BFun? How is LIFE a sacrifice?

Last edited by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15; 08-18-2018 at 01:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality