Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 09:07 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times

Advertisements

Proverbs 17:22 King James Version (KJV)
22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

The Pastor had gone into detail explaining the verse Proverbs 17:22. While explaining the verse, he showed an illustration on a screen of a full medicine cabinet with all sorts of medicine. As I was listening to the sermon, he went on talking about how all the answers is in the Bible to heal us and taking medicine when feeling unwell isn't necessary. The Pastor went on saying medicine is a waste of money and for us to follow God's word in the Bible when feeling any "negative" emotion like sadness, depression, worry, fear, anger etc.

I really despise it when any Pastor mix Mental Health and Spiritual Health. A close family member of mine had committed suicide years ago. She had been struggling with depression and schizophrenia for a few years. I know she did believe in God. Her mind was unhealthy and whatever she was going through, no word in the Bible could help her.

I do think Pastors need to be more sensitive when it comes to mental health issues. While I do think the Bible can do wonders to our spiritual health and well-being. it's not a cure-all. Sometimes, people need help from a licensed professional.

After the sermon, I talked to him a few minutes privately. I told him that I take medicine under Doctor's orders because of a health condition. At first he said, talk to your doctor to see if the dosage can be reduced or eliminated. I was like, um, no that can't be done with the health condition I have. I can become seriously ill from an infection. Then he was like follow doctor's orders and do what they say.

Then I brought up an example of some people having to take medicine because of diabetes. He had the nerve to say it's because people eat the wrong food. After the Pastor said that, I just couldn't deal with his ignorance any more and I walked away from the conversation

While it's true to some extent that diabetes is caused by eating unhealthy, there's other reasons as well.

God has put health care professionals on Earth to help us. Taking medicine under Dr. orders and following directions on OTC medicines when feeling unwell isn't a "sin" in my opinion.

Last edited by HappyFarm34; 08-19-2018 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 09:51 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
You were wise to approach and discuss this with your pastor. Perhaps it will get him thinking - which is the first step to learning. You're correct that too many "men of God" do not have well-rounded educations and blur the lines between emotional, mental, and spiritual health.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:59 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
...The Pastor went on saying medicine is a waste of money and for us to follow God's word in the Bible when feeling any "negative" emotion like sadness, depression, worry, fear, anger etc. ...
Giving someone else unsolicited advice about what they should be doing about their own physical health is treading on dangerous ground.

I'm curious what he meant by the portion of your post I quoted. Did he explain what he meant by "following God's word" when feeling negative emotions?

Last edited by Pleroo; 08-19-2018 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-19-2018, 11:20 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Giving someone else unsolicited advice about what they should be doing about their own physical health is treading on dangerous ground.

I'm curious what he meant by the portion of your post I quoted. Did he explain what he mean by "following God's word" when feeling negative emotions?
Definitely right about that, only a trained healthcare professional should be giving out medical advice. And if one is feeling depressed they shouldn't feel like it's a "sin" to see a Mental Health professional and take medicine under Dr. orders if necessary.

It's good for all of us to try to be positive and happy. I do agree with that. Sometimes, there's bumps in the road or chemical imbalance in the brain that can cause depression and mental health issues. Pastors should have the common sense to know that the Bible shouldn't be used as a substitute to seeking medical help

He did explain "following God's word" when feeling negative emotions by giving specific verse tied to an emotion. Negative emotions is the devil he says. And also, showed a chart on a screen similar to the one I attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Pastor's sermon had upset me regarding Proverbs 17:22 and taking medicine-e46d1784542c4fea7395f3fed7f9a38d.jpg  

Old 08-19-2018, 11:57 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Definitely right about that, only a trained healthcare professional should be giving out medical advice. And if one is feeling depressed they shouldn't feel like it's a "sin" to see a Mental Health professional and take medicine under Dr. orders if necessary.

It's good for all of us to try to be positive and happy. I do agree with that. Sometimes, there's bumps in the road or chemical imbalance in the brain that can cause depression and mental health issues. Pastors should have the common sense to know that the Bible shouldn't be used as a substitute to seeking medical help

He did explain "following God's word" when feeling negative emotions by giving specific verse tied to an emotion. Negative emotions is the devil he says. And also, showed a chart on a screen similar to the one I attached below.
So his suggestion is to read the bible and the negative emotions will evaporate?

Old 08-19-2018, 01:45 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.

The Pastor had gone into detail explaining the verse Proverbs 17:22. While explaining the verse, he showed an illustration on a screen of a full medicine cabinet with all sorts of medicine. As I was listening to the sermon, he went on talking about how all the answers is in the Bible to heal us and taking medicine when feeling unwell isn't necessary. The Pastor went on saying medicine is a waste of money and for us to follow God's word in the Bible when feeling any "negative" emotion like sadness, depression, worry, fear, anger etc.

I really despise it when any Pastor mix Mental Health and Spiritual Health. A close family member of mine had committed suicide years ago. She had been struggling with depression and schizophrenia for a few years. I know she did believe in God. Her mind was unhealthy and whatever she was going through, no word in the Bible could help her.

I do think Pastors need to be more sensitive when it comes to mental health issues. While I do think the Bible can do wonders to our spiritual health and well-being. it's not a cure-all. Sometimes, people need help from a licensed professional.

After the sermon, I talked to him a few minutes privately. I told him that I take medicine under Doctor's orders because of a health condition. At first he said, talk to your doctor to see if the dosage can be reduced or eliminated. I was like, um, no that can't be done with the health condition I have. I can become seriously ill from an infection. Then he was like follow doctor's orders and do what they say.

Then I brought up an example of some people having to take medicine because of diabetes. He had the nerve to say it's because people eat the wrong food. After the Pastor said that, I just couldn't deal with his ignorance any more and I walked away from the conversation

While it's true to some extent that diabetes is caused by eating unhealthy, there's other reasons as well.

God has put health care professionals on Earth to help us. Taking medicine under Dr. orders and following directions on OTC medicines when feeling unwell isn't a "sin" in my opinion.

You still sit under that preacher?

Stick with your good opinion, the feasts teach of medicine, The Mustard seed is a medicine, the etrog is a medicine. The oil and the wine is a medicine. All these things at the feast of Tabernacles teach of medicine. Ya know what the best medicine was? Drinking curdled milk.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:41 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
The Pastor went on saying medicine is a waste of money and for us to follow God's word in the Bible when feeling any "negative" emotion like sadness, depression, worry, fear, anger etc. .
Then he's an idiot.

Last edited by Rafius; 08-20-2018 at 04:59 AM..

Old 08-20-2018, 08:34 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
So his suggestion is to read the bible and the negative emotions will evaporate?
Dangerous advice. That way of thinking cost me years.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:34 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Then he's an idiot.
I agree. OP, find another church with a more intelligent pastor.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:

RULE NUMBER ONE--Preachers, Ministers, church idiots DO NOT SPEAK FOR GOD, they spew Interpretations and twisted theology they believe will result in control and manipulation of others.

RULE NUMBER TWO----The bible contains ZERO expertise in medicinal guidance. Unless one is mixing a solution of bitter root to induce an abortion as outlined in NUMBERS 5:11-31:

16 “‘The priest shall bring her and have her stand before the Lord.
17 Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water.
18 After the priest has had the woman stand before the Lord, he shall loosen her hair and place in her hands the reminder-offering, the grain offering for jealousy, while he himself holds the bitter water that brings a curse.

19 Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, “If no other man has had sexual relations with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you.
20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband”—
21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse—[b]“may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell.
22 May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries.”

RULE NUMBER THREE---HEALING is indeed provided through god, that is why we have DOCTORS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality