Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:27 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,458,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
The Song of Songs, which is Solomon’s.

Chapter 7

“How beautiful are your feet in sandals,
O prince’s daughter!
The curves of your hips are like jewels,
The work of the hands of an artist.

“Your navel is like a round goblet
Which never lacks mixed wine;
Your belly is like a heap of wheat
Fenced about with lilies.

“Your two breasts are like two fawns,
Twins of a gazelle.

“Your neck is like a tower of ivory,
Your eyes like the pools in Heshbon
By the gate of Bath-rabbim;
Your nose is like the tower of Lebanon,
Which faces toward Damascus.

“Your head crowns you like Carmel,
And the flowing locks of your head are like purple threads;
The king is captivated by your tresses.

“How beautiful and how delightful you are,
My love, with all your charms!

“Your stature is like a palm tree,
And your breasts are like its clusters.

“I said, ‘I will climb the palm tree,
I will take hold of its fruit stalks.’
Oh, may your breasts be like clusters of the vine,
And the fragrance of your breath like apples,

And your mouth like the best wine!”

“It goes down smoothly for my beloved,

Flowing gently through the lips of those who fall asleep.

“I am my beloved’s,
And his desire is for me.

“Come, my beloved, let us go out into the country,
Let us spend the night in the villages.

“Let us rise early and go to the vineyards;
Let us see whether the vine has budded
And its blossoms have opened,
And whether the pomegranates have bloomed.
There I will give you my love.

“The mandrakes have given forth fragrance;
And over our doors are all choice fruits,
Both new and old,
Which I have saved up for you, my beloved.

Some of the poetry can make us chuckle, but some of it is downright sultry.

“Your stature is like a palm tree,
And your breasts are like its clusters.

“I said, ‘I will climb the palm tree,
I will take hold of its fruit stalks.’

I post chapter 7 because its probably the best part of the whole book. Some of it get repetitive, and some of it feels silly - at least for modern readers. Things like, You are beautiful. Your nose is like a tower, lol.

Regardless, I don't know how anyone can read the Song of Songs and believe that God didn't want us to enjoy love. Solomon is going to climb the palm tree. That's some sexy stuff right there.

Agree! And enjoy a lot of palm trees with 300 wives and 700 concubines!
It is good to be king!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z8SpgmF0sA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 02:10 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It occurred to me that a separate thread was needed to examine what might be called the purpose of the sex act in humans, whether it is divine intent or biological imperative.

I don't speak for God but the only two reasons given biblically (as far as I know) are

1 for procreation

2 for a strong family bond "And why one? Because He seeks godly offspring" Malachi 2:15 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’" Matt 19:5

So can an examination of some of the more obvious elements of sexuality shed light on possible divine intention as well as the biological elements of use and misuse?

Say a third element or imperative
3 enjoyment Doesn't a good sex life contribute to the devotion of a couple? Are there other animals besides Bonobos in which the female can enjoy the act rather than seem to endure it for the sake of procreation?

I can't think of another saspect that would apply but if you can, bring it on.

So the question is how these elements are good or subject to abuse.

For instance: procreation; needed to carry on the species, but haven't we overdone it? Shouldn't we be looking for appropriate ways to limit it?

For instance: When a family bond and the sexuality is used for dominance instead of real devotion in both partners.

For instance: When enjoyment becomes the whole purpose and the element of relationship dropped with attendant risks both health and possibly mental health

Food for thought
We have sex almost entirely because it feels good. That type of sex greatly outnumbers the times we do it to create children.

The smart thing to do would be, if we're thinking in terms of then next few centuries, to completely separate sex from procreation, by inventing some kind of artificial womb outside of a woman's body, so we could all just sterilize ourselves, so that sex would become purely a leisure activity, but we could still have kids.

Note that benefits besides not having to worry about contraception would be:

A: fewer abortions. With people only having children when they wanted to, the only remaining reason for the killing of a fetus or embryo's would be due to genetic or physical defects.

B. No more birthing pains

C: No more unplanned childbirths

D: No more childbirth-related health risks, for mother and child

And that's how we'd fix one of Mother Nature's many screw-ups. It's not as bad as her screw-up where she gave everyone the incurable disease called aging where our DNA slowly decays over time, but I think it might be her second biggest screw up in humans. Now, if we're talking about the wider world around humans, there are bigger screw ups (such as many organisms that participate in Darwinian evolution experiencing pain when eaten) but one day, I'm sure not in our lifetimes, it would be neat if we could fix Mother nature's big screwups #1 and #2 on our own. Then, maybe we can move on to littler things, like how when I drink or eat those resources go down the same path that leads to my lungs. That's the type of design someone does when they're thinking, "Uh-Oh...I got half an hour until school stars and my homework is due today. What can I slap together?

But, back to the topic, the only downsides to sex come from it being associated with procreation and the spread of STD's. If neither of those things happened, we'd just have a much more cheerful society, with far fewer problems. There'd be zero noteworthy disadvantages.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:54 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Outstanding, Clintone! And no need for commitments and painful relationships! As for the other problems, easy to fix with technology by cloning our consciousness into some kind of bubble memory and having it operate in say a titanium body with replaceable parts fueled by some kind of nuclear reaction or maybe wireless energy cells. I think you are on the right track!

Old 09-23-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Outstanding, Clintone! And no need for commitments and painful relationships! As for the other problems, easy to fix with technology by cloning our consciousness into some kind of bubble memory and having it operate in say a titanium body with replaceable parts fueled by some kind of nuclear reaction or maybe wireless energy cells. I think you are on the right track!
Your thread's about the purpose of sex. Sex is for pleasure. Pregnancy is a side-effect, usually an unpleasant one, in the sense of how much effort it takes to avoid pregnancy to get the pleasure from sex that is 99% of the reasons why it exists - why people have it. The sensible thing to do is therefore to find perpetually better ways to separate sex from pregnancy, such as better birth control avenues or sterilization techniques.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
So, since that is your "moral standard" on the issue...**Being "informed" enough to be able to reasonably give consent**....let me ask you this:
Since so many nowadays are sexually experienced by the age of 13 or 14...are you cool with somebody like that, fully understanding and desiring what they were doing, having sex with any other that understood in the same way, regardless of age?
What about two young virgins in a marriage arranged by the parents, as has been very common in this world?
The thing about the 13 and 14 year olds is that...we can't really know how well developed their minds are, so we just tend to discourage that sort of thing...I assume. I don't really know anything about relationships because I don't have them

That arranged marriage stuff depends on how much input the young people had. Oftentimes the people will meet each other and be able to decline. It still sounds like a bad idea to me. I have no idea how marrying someone would just met could end up better, on average, than knowing them for an extended period of time first.

Quote:
How about that?
But "The Law" would claim he was raping her.
A very sexually experienced 15/16 year old is automatically, by law, being raped by someone the age of that social worker...even if the older person was completely sexually naive.
It shows how subjective and arbitrary "moral codes" and laws that support them really are.
I wouldn't say age of consent laws are abritrary, so much as focused on more of a "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" kind of mentality.

*The more screwed up an adult is, and the more predatory they are, the more they're going to want to get into intimate relationships with as young of people as possible, because those young people will be dumber than the adults who are too smart to date them, and the predatory adults will have had more time to do things like buy their own cars and achieve things that are normal for adults, but can look pretty impressive to a fifteen year old.

*Yeah, people used to marry younger, and in different areas people mature faster. Children mature pretty slowly in the modern U.S. though. For better or worse, probably mostly better, they're no longer having to help their families to survive through plowing fields and making splits to fix their fathers' broken leg. Lowering age of consent laws won't make children any more adult. That'll just result in them getting into more adult situations.

*Most people like the idea of creating a kind of semi-sheltered zone for children to grow up in. It's easier to chase off the fourteen year old than the 35 year old who can buy guns and wants your son to move with him to another country.

I have no idea what the age of consent should be though. I hardly ever pay attention to the sorts of things that would help people have a good idea of what that should be.

I do like those periods of leeway sorts of laws though, where, if the younger person is within a certain number of years of the older person, it's fine. In my state the age of consent is seventeen...but intercourse isn't viewed as illegal unless the older party is over 21, or the younger party is under 14. Sex with anyone under 14 is a crime...although I'm not sure what the details are regarding two people under the age of 17. I think my state's statutory rape laws seem pretty fair. To be accused of statutory rape as someone over the age of consent...you pretty much have to have been cruising the high schools for dates. There won't be these sorts of scenarios where one person is about to graduate an they get arrested for dating someone two years younger than them.

Although...that would also involve 21 year olds potentially having intercourse with 14 year olds. That sounds rather odd. I could imagine parents getting out the baseball bats to deal with that. I doubt many fourteen year olds are going to be around 21 year olds anyway though. People used to do that...but then people's childhoods used to last less long too.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:27 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Along these lines...from the "Sex-for-pleasure" standpoint Clintone noted...they already have made "sex-dolls", that if you buy a top quality one, it is incredibly realistic.
They have sold lots of them...and the industry is growing fast.
So, in regards to sex...that "track" has been laid (pun intended).

Old 09-23-2018, 07:56 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Along these lines...from the "Sex-for-pleasure" standpoint Clintone noted...they already have made "sex-dolls", that if you buy a top quality one, it is incredibly realistic.
They have sold lots of them...and the industry is growing fast.
So, in regards to sex...that "track" has been laid (pun intended).
Well, hey. it's just chemistry anyway, right?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:18 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Still people who engage in promiscuity with lust will attract the demonic spirit of this world , which is why God tells people to take heed in sexuality
I am a lustful, sexual being. When I am in a relationship (mine are monogamous), frequent and lascivious sexual acts occur. It' is no one's business what I and my partner may be involved in.

Similarly, it is no one's business what anyone else does sexually, as long as the people involved are 1] adults and 2] consenting.

Who cares if it is Bobby and Susie, or Bobby, Susie and Grace or Bobby and David, or David and Bobby and Glen, or Susie and Joanne and Debby?

Or any combination of the above or any other combination. If all are adult, all are consenting, then it truly doesn't matter. It doesn't affect you does it? It doesn't affect me, either. And it doesn't affect society in any way that matters.

So, please, be lustful, often and live in harmony.

Peace.

For the purposes of age of consent, let's use Canada's for these examples.
The age of consent for nonexploitative sexual activity is now 16 years. ... For example, a 15-year-old can consent to having sexual intercourse with a 20-year-old, but not with a 21-year-old.

Last edited by normstad; 09-24-2018 at 07:36 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 07:21 PM

88,585 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I am a lustful, sexual being. When I am in a relationship (mine are monogamous), frequent and lascivious sexual acts occur. It' is no one's business what I and my partner may be involved in.

Similarly, it is no one's business what anyone else does sexually, as long as the people involved are 1] adults and 2] consenting.

Who cares if it is Bobby and Susie, or Bobby, Susie and Grace or Bobby and David, or David and Bobby and Glen, or Susie and Joanne and Debby?

Or any combination of the above or any other combination. If all are adult, all are consenting, then it truly doesn't matter. It doesn't affect you does it? It doesn't affect me, either. And it doesn't affect society in any way that matters.

So, please, be lustful, often and live in harmony.

Peace.
And we KNOW that all of those people are adults because nobody gives their kids those names anymore! Well, Grace did make a comeback for a while.

I myself have a name that screams "LATE 1950s!"

Old 09-24-2018, 07:33 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And we KNOW that all of those people are adults because nobody gives their kids those names anymore! Well, Grace did make a comeback for a while.

I myself have a name that screams "LATE 1950s!"
Damn. I aged myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality