Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 01:51 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Again, merely your biased opinion.
The hell it is.

Evolution is not just my "biased opinion."

It is scientific FACT whether you like it or not. Ken Ham seeks to undermine the truth as best he can and keep everyone ignorant and uneducated. That's the way religion likes 'em ... because the less you know, the more susceptible you are to their heaping piles of bull excrement.

Quote:
It would be mispresenting my religion to say that it never happen or Genesis as a whole is a myth. Why? Because it would be saying Christ is a liar.
Then apparently he's a liar.

Because the evidence for evolution is overwhelming. And don't bother telling me that there's NO evidence for evolution because that's the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming very loudly.

The ONLY other option is if God created everything to make it LOOK like evolution is true. Which makes God both a liar and a deceiver.

So which is it? Who gets to fall into my inescapble pit of logic? God or Jesus?

Quote:
In the NT, Christ referred to Genesis and Noah as real events.
Oh rly?

Did Jesus actually say, "Why yes ... yes, all the events in Genesis really happened and you had best believe it or else you can join all those who failed to join my cult swimming in my delightful lake of fire"?

Or did he just reference them in the same way I can reference Harry Potter, a Dungeons and Dragons book, or a Superman comic? Because merely talking about them as IF they were real doesn't mean they actually WERE real.

Quote:
I'll throw my lot with Christ who redeem me than the opinions of atheists who demonstrate over and over that they have a deep vitriol against God's people.
Oh here we go again. Woe is me. Boohoo. I'm a poor, persecuted Christian. Whaaah!

By the way, you're not one of God's people unless you're a Jew. Are you a Jew? Yeah, I didn't think so.

It never ceases to amaze me how often Christians seem to forget that they're worshiping someone else's god. Even the guy you claim to follow -- Jesus Christ -- was supposed to be the Jewish messiah. Not yours. You're a gentile so you don't count. Don't believe me? Just remember that Hebrew slaves had to be set free after 7 years of bondage. But gentiles? You could keep those slaves forever, even across many generations.

The gentiles simply hijacked Hebrew lore and turned it into their own religion, even tacking the NT onto the end of the OT just to give it legitimacy. In fact, you even changed his name to Jehovah. Just like how the Hebrews changed the name of THEIR God from the Canaanite god "El" to "Yahweh."

Then the Muslims came along a thousand years later, tacked the Qu'ran to the end of the NT and changed god's name to Allah ... noticing a pattern yet?

Yahweh isn't even a Hebrew god. Yahweh was a Canaanite god whose name was changed. Don't you know the actual history of your religion? Or do you just know the mambo-jahambo parts?

Quote:
Science gets it more wrong than right.
Yeah right. That's why you are currently sitting in the middle of an extremely high tech world using a computer, the internet, electricity, among other things, and live a comparatively comfortable life. Because science was wrong most of the time.

For crying out loud, you would deny the nose on your face if it somehow contradicted your precious Bible.

Besides, religion has NEVER gotten anything right. Thus, I'd rather put my stock in something that is right at least once in awhile instead of putting it in something that hasn't been demonstrably correct in anything it has ever asserted.

Quote:
It's quite possible that a new scientific discovery could completely invalidate all of today's bold claims.
Perhaps, but it would still be a new SCIENTIFIC discovery -- and not the discovery that, wow, magic is real and God really did use a golem spell to animate a pile of dirt. Amazing!

In any event, it's also possible that God is really a giant space hamster that reads Plato, dances the jitterbug, and absolutely loves cherry Kool-Aid. But is it likely? No. And neither is a new scientific discovery that would invalidate completely evolution.

Quote:
It wasn't that long ago that experts were claiming that indigious people in South America were basically jungle dwellers. Now science and archaeology has proven that they were highly intelligent inventing a way to engineer a type of soil that could harvest crops and had populations in the millions living in vast cities.
What on earth are you talking about? No one knew a bloody thing about South America until Cortez landed in Peru -- and they knew from the start that the people there had cities. After all, it's kinda hard to miss the pyramids and such that the Aztecs built.

Quote:
We are so smug in our current scientific knowledge when ironically more and more discoveries show that ancient cultures were perhaps even more intelligent than we are.
What's worse is when someone is smug about other people's smugness and then proceeds to say a bunch of incorrect things.

No one ever said that ancient cultures were more intelligent. Biologically and genetically, there is no difference between a human of today and a human living 50,000 years ago. Thus each era's capacity for inteligence is exactly the same.

In addition, just because some ancient civilization could do a thing or two that we haven't figured out yet doesn't make them more advanced than us. Those civilizations were still primitive, lacked scientific understanding and still believed in a lot of superstitious nonsense, and some places like the Aztec empire didn't even have the friggin' wheel.

They were just as smart as we are, but you're giving them far too much credit. No one has ever dug up an artifact that was more advanced than anything modern science couldn't reproduce. As for megalithic structures, those are a mystery how they moved 800 ton blocks around with apparent ease -- but I would bet on the Ancient Astronaut hypothesis to be true before I would believe some magical god was involved.

Quote:
The Establishment Clause is only violated if a government favors one religion or another.
Uhm, no.

If you look at supreme court case law, you'll find that any promotion of religion is considered a violation of the 1st Amendment. The reason is fairly simple -- the government doesn't want to cause a shark effect.

Sure, the government spends money to help a lunatic creationist lie to every visitor who traipses through the door ... and pretty soon the Muslims want their own park. And the Jews. The Hindus. The Buddhists. Then the Muslims will want two parks, one for Shi'a and one for Sunnis. The Catholics will want their own park, and then the atheists and agnostics will get involved. Next comes a park for wiccans, another for pagans, and another for the Church of Satan. And since religions are inherently intolerant of each other, think of all the fighting, arguing, and conspiracy theories that will arise.

No, the courts have decided through precedent that ANY religious entanglement by the government is to be avoided. Helping one religion build a religious theme park is, by default, favoring one religion over all the rest.

Quote:
Now if someone in the area wants to build a park celebrating Buddhism and got denied then you might have an argument here.
Like I said, supreme court case law disagrees since funding an extremist religion's theme park would be considered undue religious entanglement by any sane judge. But ... since the evangelicals and fundamentalists line up with Trump, authoritarianism is on the rise and neither Trump or those Christians care about what the Constitution says. For the last 2 years, the camel has been inching into the tent, so to speak, where disregard for the 1st Amendment is concerned. Before you know it, we're all going to wake up to find the entire camel inside.

And let's face it -- if ANY other religion had pulled a stunt like this, including Buddhism, you fundies and evangelicals would be out with torches and pitchforks looking for someone to lynch. Every time this nation decided to be permissive regarding Christianity, other religions moved in to also take advantage of the government's good will -- and each and every time, the Christians threw an absolute royal hissy when they realized the good will wasn't reserved for them alone.

Bottom line is that the more extreme denominations of Christianity refuse to share this nation with any other religion. The Founders knew this. The Founders had to put up with the Puritans, after all, who were nothing less than the Christian incarnation of ISIS or Al-Qaeda. Ergo, the government does not want to deal with this level of intolerance.

Quote:
You're right, it would outrage a lot of people because the atheist theme park is attacking another person's faith.
Even if that were true, which it's not, WHO CARES.

Isn't it people like you who constantly say that science is OUR faith? Well, that means the Ark Encounter is attacking that faith. So why should we give two <<bleep>> if our theme park attacks YOUR faith?

There's that special privilege revealing itself again -- only Christians can go on the offensive while still pretending to be persecuted, right? But if someone else does it right back at you, well ... the outrage! The horror! How dare they!

In any event, we already have thousands of parks across the nation which are essentially atheist theme parks.

They're called MUSEUMS ... where you can learn the truth about our world and not have one's head filled with woo and garbage about riding bareback on a stegasaurus or Noah cramming millions of animals into an ark smaller than a WWII destroyer.

I will admit that, yes, truth attacks your faith simply by being true. And that's something that really sticks in your religion's craw. When push comes to shove, even many apologists will admit that they're full of crap, but as long as they keep the sheep believing in nonsense, that's all that is important. They're as afraid of the truth as a shadow is afraid of the light.

Quote:
It would be a direct offensive assault against Christianity.
Again, so what.

Quote:
That's different!
Buahahaha! It's only "different" because it's YOUR faith under attack. But when it's someone else's belief system, why, anything goes. Burn down a mosque? No problem. Protest a satanic statue? Absolutely. Spew poisonous hatred to the flock regarding atheists? Certainly! Christianity can do it to others -- but the moment it receives even a whisper of push-back from those they attack, holy Christ, out comes the persecution card.

"No! It's different when Christians are doing the attacking! You're just supposed to sit there and accept it, not fight back! *whine* You're not playing fair! *moan* So stop resisting and just accept your status as a second class citizen! *boohoo*"

Quote:
The Ark is not attacking your freedom to believe in nothing (which is a farse anyways)
Oh, so the atheist RELIGION is a farce, now, is it? I mean, atheism IS a religion according to you. Isn't it?

And there you are insulting OUR religion. So why the hell should we respect YOUR religion?

Well, our religion is the worship of truth -- and the Ark is nothing but one big attack on the truth. In that sense, the Ark is attacking our religion. So yeah, how 'bout 'dem apples, eh, Jeff? Nothing like having your own arguments come back around and bite you in the ass, right?

So, based on your very OWN words in previous posts, everything you've said so far has been factually incorrect.

Oh, and an atheist theme park attacking Christianity does NOT limit your freedom to still believe in magic and fairy tales, so bzzzzzt! Sorry. Playing the persecution card has now been rendered ineffective. Christian player must now discard his persecution card and it cannot be played again during this round of combat. Yeah, those are the rules. Because with all the "cards" Christians like to play, I feel like I'm stuck in the collectable card game from hell.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-27-2018 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 02:26 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It means everything. It's why a murderer is held accountable for murdering.
The one person I knew that was a canibal was not a murderer. Eating flesh of humans does not mean that you killed that person.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:43 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
And there is a lot more direct evidence to demonstrate that we are created beings. Like the fact that everyone has a distinct personality and identity. There will never be another human being exactly like you.
We all have various skills and talents unlike other animal species.

Abiogenesis essentially dilutes our humanity to being really no different than tomatoes grown in a field.
Animals, at least the more intelligent ones and if we get to know them, have their own distinctive personalities. Be it a cat or dog, a horse sheep cow or rabbit. I don't understand how you came up 20th your last conclusion , I think it is just an assumption on your part trying to dismiss what you don't agree with.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:59 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
No, we're not going to do that in this thread either. This thread is about Ark Encounter visit down, once again.

Attendance at the Ark Encounter has been lower than predicted by Ken Ham.

First day numbers were below predictions.

First weekend numbers were also down.

Attendance for the entire first year were below expectations.

Second year attendance also failed to meet expectations.

It's no surprise that this year's numbers are also lower than predicted.
And I pointed out that ticket sales alone are not an accurate portrayal of actual attendance considering some visitors have lifetime memberships and children get in free. Those are people who eat in local restaurants and stay at local hotels, all a boost to the economy.

Yesterday I posted a source detailing specific enormous boosts and benefits to the region. No surprise, it was completely dismissed without anyone giving a single shred of evidence to discredit these numbers. Here it is again from a different source:

Quote:

Did you know demand for hotel rooms in Northern Kentucky is four times the national average? Why? Much of it can be attributed to tourists pouring in to visit our Ark Encounter and Creation Museum.

Did you also know:

• Northern Kentucky now contributes 20 percent of the tourism economic impact for the whole state. It increased significantly since the opening of the life-size ark in 2016.

• Occupancy rates for hotels in Northern Kentucky (and even in parts of Indiana and Ohio) are in the 90 percent range, mainly due to Ark and Creation Museum visitors — revealing a critical need for more local hotels and restaurants.

• For every 100 jobs created at Answers in Genesis and our two attractions, we generate 29 jobs in the community. AiG has 1,050 on staff (including seasonal workers during the busy summer months), making it a very large employer in Northern Kentucky. In addition, for every $1 million in our sales, we generate $500,000 in local revenue — that is over and above the sales tax income that goes to the state.
https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ons/878239002/

Let's see some factual data to directly contradict my source rather than just saying the source is untrustworthy. I certainly don't trust FFRF who wants to see Christianity destroyed in America. Of course, they want the Ark to fail.

Only atheists could somehow twist something Christian that brings money and jobs to the region as being negative and wrong.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:15 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
And I pointed out that ticket sales alone are not an accurate portrayal of actual attendance considering some visitors have lifetime memberships and children get in free. Those are people who eat in local restaurants and stay at local hotels, all a boost to the economy.

Yesterday I posted a source detailing specific enormous boosts and benefits to the region. No surprise, it was completely dismissed without anyone giving a single shred of evidence to discredit these numbers. Here it is again from a different source:

Let's see some factual data to directly contradict my source rather than just saying the source is untrustworthy. I certainly don't trust FFRF who wants to see Christianity destroyed in America. Of course, they want the Ark to fail.

Only atheists could somehow twist something Christian that brings money and jobs to the region as being negative and wrong.

BUZZZZ!

Quote:
Adult tickets to the Ark will rise from $40 to $48 and senior (aged 60 and older) tickets will go from $31 to $38. Children under 4 years old will still get free admission, while prices for children to 5 to 12 years old will decrease from $28 to $15. Prices for teenagers will be $25.

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/...#storylink=cpy

Not worth charging 4 or under since they most likely won't remember.

What's a life time membership cost jeffbase?

Old 09-27-2018, 03:21 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
BUZZZZ!

Not worth charging 4 or under since they most likely won't remember.

What's a life time membership cost jeffbase?
Would you be looking to buy one? Would you go if I bought you a ticket?

Old 09-27-2018, 03:29 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Would you be looking to buy one? Would you go if I bought you a ticket?
Thanks, but no thanks.

Just pointing out ignorance or lying for jesus.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:36 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
You really didn't answer WHY it's illegal or immoral. But thanks for trying to play.

Honestly...this is the same old thing every time. I pose a question...you guys are unable to answer it...you just say something to the effect of "well.....because! It's a stupid question anyway!!!!!!" Then, a few people toss in a few insults, answer a question that was never asked, and declare victory.
You would know all about that, wouldn't you.

Is the art of projection something you learn in church?

Quote:
Oh sure, it might go on for another 15 pages while I try to rephrase the question in the hopes that maybe by asking it differently someone would grasp the concept....but the atheist crowd here is simply incapable of answering the most very basic question of WHY some things are moral, or immoral, other than that's their opinion.
Oh for Christ's sake, I explained this on numerous occasions. It's not that we're incapable of answering the questions. You just don't want to accept the answers.

Which is why you people keep trotting out this one-trick pony regarding morality again and again. And we answer it the same way ... again and again.

Why do you even bother asking questions when you know even before you post that we're not going to answer in the way you want.

What you're looking for is, "Well, gee ... I guess we don't really know! Therefore, it must be ... *gasp* GOD! And not just any god, but the very same God Baptist Fundie worships! Wow! And when is your church's next altar call? I'll be there with bells on!"

And until we answer your questions in that precise way, you will continue to IGNORE EVERYTHING we say and continue asking ... like Ben Stein standing there in front of the class repeating, "Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?"

In fact, you don't even explain why you disagree with our answers or even make the attempt at posting even the most rudimentary refutation. Instead, you throw around insults and claim we're incapable of answering ... and then YOU claim victory. Just like you did in your post.

"Well, since they're not spoonfeeding me the answer I want, I win!"

Old 09-27-2018, 03:48 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:

All I'm hearing is 'You have no evidence'. 'The evidence? Oh I don't trust any of that - it's biased people lying.'

Come on Jeff.

Didn't we say that a million seems to have gone to Kentucky? That hotels are being built to take advantage of the tourists? Our beef is with the whole thing being a monument to a myth, presented as fact, dubious business practices, which were referenced, and that the benefits promised have not materialised, nor have the attendance figures that were hoped for and predicted. All you have done is play the 'you want to see it fail' card. What did you expect?

Old 09-27-2018, 03:52 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
You would know all about that, wouldn't you.
Unless you wish to discuss the Ark, and the supposed business challenges it's facing, I really am done discussing with you on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality