Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:41 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

The recent studies show that those that have the strongest belief in free will, (usually the more religious, the more the concept is promulgated) in making moral decisions, found that unexpectedly, that there was no correlation between the promoters of free will and moral behavior.

But then, if we reflect on how judgemental those with the strongest religious convictions are of others, is this really surprising? The worst of the worst have recently even suggested that rape victims should be happy and blessed that as a 13 year old they are pregnant, they are usually the ones with the most radical prejudices against "others", whether those "others" are or a different race, creed, culture or religion, and are the ones who often are caught doing morally reprehensible crimes.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10....48550618780732
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 07:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Why would belief in libertarian free-will (or an even vaguer free-will) have any correlation to moral behavior?
Does belief in predestined/predetermined will have any correlation to moral behavior?

Old 03-12-2019, 10:50 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Why would belief in libertarian free-will (or an even vaguer free-will) have any correlation to moral behavior?
Does belief in predestined/predetermined will have any correlation to moral behavior?
Did you read the study? It's outlined there. I can't copy/paste parts here, as I've been suspended three times for doing so, apparently because it is against the TOS. The actual policy states:

Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post. Repeat copyright infringers may have their account terminated and their access to the Site and any Services revoked.

I've been castigate and suspended for posting snippets, so I won't, and you will have to read the article.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:14 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Free will with Christian is that God accepts people can reject Him and be lost to God , or accept Jesus Christ and receive His spirit , is this is a personal choice not bound by nation, creed, family history , or skin color ...... But God prefers that people turn to Jesus and receive the blessing of life

Old 03-13-2019, 03:22 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Did you read the study? It's outlined there. I can't copy/paste parts here, as I've been suspended three times for doing so, apparently because it is against the TOS. The actual policy states:

Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles.
Repeat copyright infringers may have their account terminated and their access to the Site and any Services revoked.

I've been castigate and suspended for posting snippets, so I won't, and you will have to read the article.
Did you read the underlined part?Do you understand what a 'snippet' is ? There are tons of posts that do it successfully

Old 03-13-2019, 03:27 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The recent studies show that those that have the strongest belief in free will, (usually the more religious, the more the concept is promulgated)
I stopped reading here.

What are you saying here? The non-religious or the atheists do not tend to believe in free-will?

What do they believe in then? Do the Atheists believe that we are pre-programmed to do whatever we do in our day to day life, we don't have any choice?

OK who pre-programmed us and took away our choice of free-will?

Old 03-13-2019, 03:36 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Free will with Christian is that God accepts people can reject Him and be lost to God , or accept Jesus Christ and receive His spirit , is this is a personal choice not bound by nation, creed, family history , or skin color ...... But God prefers that people turn to Jesus and receive the blessing of life
Except we don't really have free will - it's a myth, an illusion promoted by Christians to justify sending billions of perfectly moral and decent people to be tortured forever simply because they didn't join the Christian cult and bend their knee to someone else's "lord and savior."

That's why so many Christians claim that atheists send themselves to Hell - it's not God!

Which only suggests that God himself has no free will - that he can't choose who ends up in Hell and who does not.

It's a bogus thing to say anyhow since I cannot choose to simply believe in Yahweh. Nor did I choose to be an atheist. As I have said several times before - I could no more make myself believe in Christianity than a quadriplegic could make himself get up and run the Boston Marathon.

In that sense, I do not have free will because I couldnt believe even if I wanted to.

And that only makes god's punishment immoral beyond belief. Fortunately I don't have to.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:22 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Except we don't really have free will - it's a myth, an illusion promoted by Christians to justify sending billions of perfectly moral and decent people to be tortured forever simply because they didn't join the Christian cult and bend their knee to someone else's "lord and savior."

That's why so many Christians claim that atheists send themselves to Hell - it's not God!

Which only suggests that God himself has no free will - that he can't choose who ends up in Hell and who does not.

It's a bogus thing to say anyhow since I cannot choose to simply believe in Yahweh. Nor did I choose to be an atheist. As I have said several times before - I could no more make myself believe in Christianity than a quadriplegic could make himself get up and run the Boston Marathon.

In that sense, I do not have free will because I couldnt believe even if I wanted to.

And that only makes god's punishment immoral beyond belief. Fortunately I don't have to.
When you say, "You don't have to", didn't you just use "free-will"?

Old 03-13-2019, 04:33 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I can't imagine why the researchers thought there would be a correlation between people who have FWB (free will beliefs, presumedly that they believe people have free will to choose their behaviors) would be more moral than those who think people DON'T have free will, which I guess would be insane people, or incarcerated people.

If asked, "Do you believe you have the free will to decide for yourself whether you want to commit a crime, or whether you want to be a law-abiding citizen" WHO would say no, they don't have that free will?

And BTW, the headline of this thread is wrong. They found no correlation. Not that people who believe in free will aren't nice people.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I found this article that describes exactly what FWB free will believers are.

They are people who believe, largely, that they are in control of their actions and outcomes.

They are less likely to believe that circumstances are thrust upon them over which they have no control, that have resulted in failure in life.

So. To the OP.

Why in the world would people who believe they are in control of their lives and outcomes behave more altruistically than those who think life and luck are thrust upon them?

And follow up question, what does this have to do with religion and spirituality?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...n-self-control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality