Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 04:56 PM

8,669 posts, read 3,871,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

As for your analogy with gun ownership, it is poor. A gun is an object to own, or as you acknowledge, a thing. Religion is not merely a thing, religion is an environmental, cultural and social structure that can dictate ones life and cause existing problems to become worse.
A gun is an object you own, and religion is a subject people apply and interpret for themselves. It’s not magical - it has no ability to harm by itself. Some people may make religion more than that, yes - just as some people may make a gun for more than protection.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-13-2019 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 05:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Religion doesn’t tell people anything - it can’t make your sports team win, it doesn’t make guacamole, and it doesn’t tell a kid they will burn forever. Mentally disturbed people tell kids they will burn forever.

If you are an atheist, you are giving religion way too much power to believe it harms - you are no different than the person who believes it helps. It’s just a subject - like studying philosophy.
And guns are just tools. Like nail files.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And guns are just tools. Like nail files.
I agree - guns, religion, and your nail files do not harm people in a magical way. It takes people.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:04 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Religion doesn’t tell people anything - it can’t make your sports team win, it doesn’t make guacamole, and it doesn’t tell a kid they will burn forever. Mentally disturbed people tell kids they will burn forever.

If you are an atheist, you are giving religion way too much power to believe it harms - you are no different than the person who believes it helps. It’s just a subject - like studying philosophy.
I really can’t take you seriously after reading this post. Religion is not merely a subject (to the religious), it’s a whole cultural system that completely shapes how a person sees the world. In religion, beliefs about people burning in Hell forever are institutionalized and become part of official doctrine, they are not merely outbursts from the mentally ill. These doctrines are systematically taught to children that are too young to defend themselves with rational thought. And it becomes generational: those children grow up to believe that they will go to hell if they don’t teach *their* children the same monstrous doctrines. Whole societies can be taken over by religion in this way.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I really can’t take you seriously after reading this post. Religion is not merely a subject, it’s a whole cultural system that completely shapes how a person sees the world. Beliefs about people burning in Hell forever are institutionalized and become part of official doctrine, they are not merely outbursts from the mentally ill.
But the major point you are missing - it takes PEOPLE to interpret and preach this. Knowledge of religion does not harm - anymore than it does good in and of itself, either. It’s all in the application. And people have a right to believe what they choose to believe - that isn’t going to change. So proselytizing that religion is the ‘devil’, in essence - just seems absurd to me.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
But the major point you are missing - it takes PEOPLE to interpret and preach this. Knowledge of religion does not harm - anymore than it does good in and of itself, either. It’s all in the application. And people have a right to believe what they choose to believe - that isn’t going to change. So proselytizing that religion is the ‘devil’, in essence - just seems absurd to me.
This is the first example of completly simplistic, fundie-think that I have ever seen in a (purported) atheist.

Religion has been used to brainwash and manipulate people since its inception. Children are indoctrinated from birth to consign their sub-sect's definition of "Others" to eternal toasting via their god-thing.

What was 9/11 to you? A philosophical debate?

That such as yourself seek to minimize religion's toxicity lends one to believe you are a Vic in atheist's clothing.

Which is no surprise to me. You revealed your true self weeks ago, to those who can see.

Last edited by TroutDude; 04-13-2019 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Removed an extraeneous s.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
This is the first example of completly simplistic, fundie-think that I have ever seen in a (purported) atheist.

Religion has been used to brainwash and manipulate people since its inception. Children are indoctrinated from birth to consign theirs sub-sect's definition of "Others" to eternal toasting via their god-thing.

What was 9/11 to you? A philosophical debate?

That such as yourself seek to minimize religion's toxicity lends one to believe you are a Vic in atheist's clothing.

Which is no surprise to me. You revealed your true self weeks ago, to those who can see.

I am myself, an atheist - with my own opinions. And my opinion is religion is not ‘evil’ - neither is alcohol, guns, etc. In and of itself it does no harm nor good. It is dependent on the application by an individual to do anything at all.

PEOPLE BRAINWASH PEOPLE and people bully people - much like you are attempting to do. An intelligent (and emotionally healthy) person accepts when a person disagrees - and doesn’t resort to temper tantrums, pitiful online accusations, drama, or insults.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:37 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:

He is right though. My grandson came crying home from school because his fundamentalist friends told him he would burn in hell because our family doesn't believe in a god. Try living in a bible belt where it is insidious the religion and fundamentalism. He had nightmares for days, until my daughter finally called the parents of those kids, and to their credit, they talked to their sons, who finally laid off of my grandson.

I hate, hate, hate what religion does to kids. In my mind, it is child abuse of the worst order, but the greater society sees "Faith" as a virtue. I hate it. It harms people in a real way.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I am myself, an atheist - with my own opinions. And my opinion is religion is not ‘evil’ - neither is alcohol, guns, etc. In and of itself it does no harm nor good. It is dependent on the application by an individual to do anything at all.

PEOPLE BRAINWASH PEOPLE and people bully people - much like you are attempting to do. An intelligent (and emotionally healthy) person accepts when a person disagrees - and doesn’t resort to temper tantrums, pitiful online accusations, drama, or insults.
And they use religion - via bible/qu'ran/whatever - as their bludgeon.

That you seek to minimize it, tells me what side you are truly on.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

I hate, hate, hate what religion does to kids. In my mind, it is child abuse of the worst order, but the greater society sees "Faith" as a virtue. I hate it. It harms people in a real way.
Blame the parents for lousy parenting - because religion didn’t fly in on wings and tell anybody anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality