Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:25 AM

249 posts, read 532,102 times

Advertisements

Here are some examples of comparisons between the teachings of Buddha and Jesus.. along with verse numbers..

I will finish the rest later tonight.

================================================== =======

DO UNTO OTHERS..

BUDDHA

“Accept, then, the kindness thou hast seen him practice unto thee, and in the humility of thy station practice it unto others.”

The Woman at the Well [6]

------

JESUS

"All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must
likewise do to them; this, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean."

Matthew 7:12

================================================== ======

JUDGING OTHERS

BUDDHA

"The fault of others is easily noticed,
but that of oneself is difficult to perceive.
A man winnows his neighbor's faults like chaff,
but his own fault he hides,
as a cheat hides the false die from the gambler."

The Dhammapada [31]

--------

JESUS

"Stop judging that you may not be judged: for with what judgment you are judging, you will be judged; and with the measure that you are measuring out, they will measure out to you. Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother's eye, but do not consider the rafter in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Allow me to extract the straw from your eye'; when, look! a rafter is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First extract the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to extract the straw from your brother's eye.” - Matthew7:1

================================================== ===

BLIND MEN LEADING BLIND MEN

BUDDHA

Said the Blessed One: "Thus it is impossible that Brahmans versed in the three Vedas should be able to show the way to a state of union with that which they neither know nor have seen. Just as when a string of blind men are clinging one to the other. Neither can the foremost see, nor can those in the middle see, nor can the hindmost see. Even so, methinks, the talk of the Bhramans versed in the three Vedas is but blind talk; it is ridiculous, consists or mere words, and is a vain and empty thing."

The Two Brahmans [17]

---------

JESUS

“Let them be. Blind guides is what they are. If, then, a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit.” - Matthew 15:14

=================================================

WORDS WILL NOT PASS AWAY

BUDDHA

“All compound things shall be dissolved again, worlds will break to pieces and our individualities will be scattered; but the words of the Buddha will remain for ever.”

Samsara and Nirvana [ 19]

-------

JESUS

“Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away.”

Matthew 24:34 -35

=================================================

OMNIPRESENT - NOT POSSIBLE TO POINT OUT THE SAGE AS BEING HERE OR THERE

BUDDHA

"The extinction of the Blessed One will be by that passing away in which nothing remains that could tend to the formation of another self. Nor will it be possible to point out the Blessed One as being here or there. But it will be like a flame in a great body of blazing fire. That flame has ceased; it has vanished and it cannot be said that it is here or there. In the body of the Dharma, however, the Blessed One can be pointed out; for the Dharma has been preached by the Blessed One.”

The Buddha Omnipresent [4]

--------

JESUS

"But on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God was coming, he answered them and said: "The kingdom of God is not coming with striking observableness, neither will people be saying, 'See here!' or, 'There!' For, look! the kingdom of God is in your midst."

Then he said to the disciples: "Days will come when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of man but you will not see it. And people will say to you, 'See there!' or, 'See here!' Do not go out or chase after them. For even as the lightning, by its flashing, shines from one part under heaven to another part under heaven, so the Son of man will be. First, however, he must undergo many sufferings and be rejected by this generation.”

Luke 17:20 - 25

-

Last edited by accelerator; 04-13-2008 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 12:28 PM

10 posts, read 15,463 times
[quote=accelerator;3439780]I could transfer it into a garden of Eden.. complete with Eve and serpents.. for a price.

Right now I’m trying to help Sirjanly with his paper.. while he’s out on the town getting drunk.. and womanizing.. no doubt..;-)

Anyway.. back to my investigations..

-------

LOL nooo I'm 21, but I don't party or drink at all. But I do appreciate all the help you, and everyone else, have given me !!

Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 PM

Also, accelerator, where are you getting the Buddhist verses from? The verses don't match when I look at the Dhammapada online

Old 04-14-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangly View Post
Also, accelerator, where are you getting the Buddhist verses from? The verses don't match when I look at the Dhammapada online

It could be because.. like the bible.. there are different translations.. and versions.

I have two different versions myself.. I will upload a copy of the version I am using so you can make a copy of it.

I believe the one I am quoting from is a popular version.. but I'm not sure.

Maybe I made mistakes.. I work fast.. maybe just one or two.. that's possible.

Let me know if you have trouble matching some verses and I will recheck them.

-

Old 04-14-2008, 02:57 PM

Treasury of Truth (Dhammapada) Chapter 2 .Heedfulness

That's the one I was looking at

Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 PM

You can make a copy.. if you need to..

This is the version I'm using..

Buddha-Gospel-Buddhism

And this site has the same version too.. I think.

The Gospel of Buddha

Also.. I'm using.. "The new World Translation".. of the bible.. which I got from the JW.

They do the best translation of the bible that I have come across.. so far.. I don't like either the new or old KJV.. at all. However.. it is the most popular.

You can check verse numbers and compare various translations.. here..

BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Luke 14:26;

Or just post the problems you come across.. and I will try to sort them out myself

Hope that helps..

-

Old 04-14-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangly View Post
I'm not sure what this is but it isn't Buddhist gospels.. :-0

Anyway I have uploaded a copy for you now.. that should do the trick..:-)

Old 04-14-2008, 03:29 PM

In the first link, are all the scriptures in the same book? Or are there different books? I'm hoping that these are the teachings of Buddha, correct? Also, isn't it true that his teachings were not written down until 5 centuries after his death? I know the teachings of Jesus were not written down until a few decades after his death. I am having trouble finding sources to back up those claims though..

Old 04-15-2008, 03:17 PM

I'm checking some of those things now.. I'm not an expert of Buddhism either.. I just dabble in it.

This film looks intersting.. (see link) I also believe Jesus must have been exposed to the teachings of Buddhism.. there are too many comparative teachings and mythological events that match up.. to be a coincodence. I'm enjoying this research.. it is really intresting.

Jesus, inspired by Buddhism? « Precious Metal: the blog

When do you want to have this paper ready for anyway.. ?

I think I should be finished in a couple of days.. if I take it easy.

If I rush I might even finish tonight..:-)

_
-

Old 04-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Default Comparisons between the teachings of Buddha and Jesus - Part 2

THE LOVE OF MONEY

BUDDHA

And the Buddha replied:
"The bliss of a religious life is attainable by everyone
who walks in the noble eightfold path.
He that cleaves to wealth had better cast it away
than allow his heart to be poisoned by it;
but he who does not cleave to wealth,
and possessing riches, uses them rightly,
will be a blessing unto his fellows.
"It is not life and wealth and power that enslaves men,
but the cleaving to life and wealth and power.”

Anathapindika [15]

---------

JESUS

Jesus said to him: "If you want to be perfect, go sell your belongings and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven, and come be my follower." When the young man heard this saying, he went away grieved, for he was holding many possessions.

But Jesus said to his disciples: "Truly I say to you that it will be a difficult thing for a rich man to get into the kingdom of the heavens. Again I say to you, It is easier for a camel to get through a needle's eye than for a rich man to get into the kingdom of God."

Matthew 19:21 -24

------------------------------------------------------------------------

TURN THE OTHER CHEEK

BUDDHA

"For not by hatred is hatred appeased.
Hatred is appeased by not-hatred.
This is an eternal law."

The Schism [11]
-------

JESUS

"But I say to you who are listening, Continue to love your enemies, to do good to those hating you, to bless those cursing you, to pray for those who are insulting you. To him that strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also...” – Luke 6:27 - 29

--------------------------------------------------------------------

MIRACLES FORBIDDEN

BUDDA

When the Blessed One heard what had happened, he went to Kassapa, and, breaking the bowl to pieces, forbade his disciples to perform miracles of any kind.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus and said: [11]
"There is another great prohibition which I declare to you: [12]
"An ordained disciple must not boast of any superhuman perfection. The disciple who with evil intent and from covetousness boasts of a superhuman perfection, be it celestial visions or miracles, is no longer a disciple of the Sakyamuni. [13]
"I forbid you, O bhikkhus, to employ any spells or supplications, for they are useless, since the law of karma governs all things. He who attempts to perform miracles has not understood the doctrine of the Tathagata." [14]

Miracles Forbidden [3 - 14]

---------

JESUS

And so it came to be that Jesus said: “A wicked and adulterous generation keeps on seeking for a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jonah. For just as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, in the same way will the son of man be also to this generation. For just as Jonah was in the belly of the huge fish three days and three nights, so the son of man will be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights.” - Matthew 12:39

The miracle Jesus was referring to was that the people ACTUALLY listened to the prophet Jonah……….

For Jesus.. this must have seemed a true miracle.

Mostly people didn’t listen.. so the true miracle was..

“And the men of Nineveh began to put faith in God..” - Jonah 3:5

---------------------------------------------------------

Both taught law.. and tore down organized religions.. because corruption of teachings and superstitions were rife.. while money was changing hands.. all these things were considered to be wrong.. according to the teachings of the prophets.

--------

BUDDHA

Kutadan ta said:
"I am told that thou teachest the law,
yet thou tearest down religion.
Thy disciples despise rites and abandon immolation,
but reverence for the gods can be shown only by sacrifices.
The very nature of religion consists in worship and sacrifice." [5]
Said the Buddha:
"Greater than the immolation of bullocks is the sacrifice of self.
He who offers to the gods his evil desires
will see the uselessness of slaughtering animals at the altar.
Blood has no cleansing power,
but the eradication of lust will make the heart pure.
Better than worshipping gods
is obedience to the laws of righteousness."

Identity and Non Identity [6]

----------

JESUS

“As he was going out of the temple one of his disciples said to him: "Teacher, see! what sort of stones and what sort of buildings!"”

However, Jesus said to him: "Do you behold these great buildings? By no means will a stone be left here upon a stone and not be thrown down." – Mark 13:2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

THE PHYSICIAN

BUDDHA

The Blessed One replied:
"Ignorance causes the ruin of the world.
Envy and selfishness break off friendships.
Hatred is the most violent fever,
and the Buddha is the best physician."

The Buddha Replies to the Deva [11]

---------

JESUS

In reply Jesus said to them: "Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but those who are ailing do. I have come to call, not righteous persons, but sinners to repentance." - Luke 5:31

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE LOST SON PARABLE

BUDDHA

The Lost Son
There was a householder's son who went away into a distant country,
and while the father accumulated immeasurable riches, the son became miserably poor.
And the son while searching for food and clothing
happened to come to the country in which his father lived.
And the father saw him in his wretchedness,
for he was ragged and brutalized by poverty,
and ordered some of his servants to call him. [1]
When the son saw the place to which he was conducted, he thought,
"I must have evoked the suspicion of a powerful man,
and he will throw me into prison."
Full of apprehension he made his escape
before he had seen his father. [2]
Then the father sent messengers out after his son,
who was caught and brought back in spite of his cries and lamentations.
Thereupon the father ordered his servants to deal tenderly with his son,
and he appointed a labourer of his son's rank and education
to employ the lad as a helpmate on the estate.
And the son was pleased with his new situation. [3]
From the window of his palace the father watched the boy,
and when he saw that he was honest and industrious,
he promoted him higher and higher. [4]
After some time, he summoned his son
and called together all his servants,
and made the secret known to them.
Then the poor man was exceedingly glad
he was full of joy at meeting his father. [5]
Little by little must the minds of men
be trained for higher truths. [6]

--------------------------------------------------------------

JESUS

The Proverb of the Lost Son

Then he said: "A certain man had two sons. And the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the part of the property that falls to my share.' Then he divided his means of living to them.

Later, after not many days, the younger son gathered all things together and traveled abroad into a distant country, and there squandered his property by living a debauched life. When he had spent everything, a severe famine occurred throughout that country, and he started to be in need. He even went and attached himself to one of the citizens of that
country, and he sent him into his fields to herd swine. And he used to desire to be filled with the carob pods which the swine were eating, and no one would give him anything.

When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many hired men of my father are abounding with bread, while I am perishing here from famine. I will rise and journey to my father and say to him: "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Make me as one of your hired men."'

So he rose and went to his father. While he was yet a long way off, his father caught sight of him and was moved with pity, and he ran and fell upon his neck and tenderly kissed him. Then the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Make me as one of your hired men.' But the father said to his slaves, 'Quick! bring out a robe, the best one, and clothe him with it, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. And bring the fattened young bull, slaughter it and let us eat and enjoy ourselves, because this my son was dead and came to life again; he was lost and was found.' And they started to enjoy themselves. Now his older son was in the field; and as he came and got near the house he heard a music concert and dancing. So he called one of the servants to him and inquired what these
things meant. He said to him, 'Your brother has come, and your father slaughtered the fattened young bull, because he got him back in good health.' But he became wrathful and was unwilling to go in. Then his father came out and began to entreat him. In reply he said to his father, 'Here it is so many years I have slaved for you and never once did I transgress your commandment, and yet to me you never once gave a kid for me to enjoy myself with my friends. But as soon as this your son who ate up your means of living with harlots arrived, you slaughtered the fattened young bull for him.' Then he said to him, 'Child, you have always been with me, and all the things that are mine are yours; but we just had to enjoy ourselves and rejoice, because this your brother was dead and came to life, and he was lost and was found.'"

Luke 15:11- 32
-

Last edited by accelerator; 04-15-2008 at 06:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality