Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 12:09 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,070,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK. I just think there are a fair number of people on this forum who do not feel the urge or the obligation to explain why we believe or practice such and such to anyone unless we know that person is interested in learning about or shares those beliefs or wants to discuss them without feeling the need to argue about or defend them.

But that's OK, you've still got plenty who want to argue.
For this particular instance, gabfest asked which versions of the Bible has been debunked. It seemed to me that was asking for a response, and I was not violating a person who only wanted to stay in the world of faith. As an example, Casual visitor has repeatedly said he holds his views in faith and is not interested in defending them on the basis of evidence or logic. I have respected that viewpoint and had a very civil exchanfe of views with that poster.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:10 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,750,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Right again, Harry. Pointing out fallacy and weaknesses in reasoning methods is Not an ad hominem attack, though the Jesus -apologists represent it as such, or pretend they do in hopes to score a point; they don't score many, after all.

On the other hand, their attacks on atheism are ad hominem, and not even true. Quite aside that they won't stop making the claims even when we explain where they are misrepresenting us.
Calling me out directly and saying I'm a liar is an ad hominem attack. Having a general negative opinion about atheists is not.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Calling me out directly and saying I'm a liar is an ad hominem attack. Having a general negative opinion about atheists is not.
I think you have this backwards, depending on circumstances.

Calling somebody a liar, IF they are truly lying, is not ad hominem, as it is not an unjust attackon character or personality. Of course, if they are not lying, then it is ad hominem.

If you use a group identity in a negative manner, as opposed to simply holding a negative opinion, that would be ad hominem, as your intent would be to discredit the person, not the argument. Holding a general negative opinion of a group isn’t in itself ad hominem, but there are other negative words that could apply.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:34 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Calling you a liar is perhaps a bit strident, but insisting that you are right when you are demonstrably wrong (which has been the case a number of times) hardly gives you reason to play the persecuted martyr.

On the other hand, having a negative view of atheists and atheism is only what we expect. Misrepresenting atheists, atheism and the atheist rationale, especially in the face of repeated explanatory correction, is however coming close to calculated ad hominem, lying and other terms not permitted under ToS.

Don't get me wrong we don't mind. Pointing it out just does the atheist cause more good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think you have this backwards, depending on circumstances.

Calling somebody a liar, IF they are truly lying, is not ad hominem, as it is not an unjust attackon character or personality. Of course, if they are not lying, then it is ad hominem.

If you use a group identity in a negative manner, as opposed to simply holding a negative opinion, that would be ad hominem, as your intent would be to discredit the person, not the argument. Holding a general negative opinion of a group isn’t in itself ad hominem, but there are other negative words that could apply.
I hate it when I post something and find that you beat me to it.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:41 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,018,699 times
'We' vs. you! Likeminds agree, so it must be so.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:

I hate it when I post something and find that you beat me to it.
Thank you. There are many times I feel similarly.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
'We' vs. you! Likeminds agree, so it must be so.
Obviously that is not correct. But if I have made an error in my post, i would ask you to point it out so that I may learn from it and avoid it in the future.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:32 PM

2,626 posts, read 3,420,278 times
NOTE: This thread was started on 3/30/2019 by the OP. And, as though to second what the OP said and take it cven somewhat further in its impact, today (Saturday, 4/13/2019), one of the news articles on the CNN.COM website has the following title:

"There are now as many Americans who claim no religion as there are evangelicals and Catholics, a survey finds"

The URL for that article is: https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/13/us/no...rnd/index.html

As to the CNN article "taking it somewhat further than the OP has stated", not only do "Nones" poulation in America at least equal the evangelical population in Ameica but even at least equals the Catholic population in America. However you feel about it (pro or con), it is what it is.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:56 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,750,069 times
Quote:
Calling you a liar is perhaps a bit strident, but insisting that you are right when you are demonstrably wrong (which has been the case a number of times) hardly gives you reason to play the persecuted martyr.

On the other hand, having a negative view of atheists and atheism is only what we expect. Misrepresenting atheists, atheism and the atheist rationale, especially in the face of repeated explanatory correction, is however coming close to calculated ad hominem, lying and other terms not permitted under ToS.
The sad irony is that atheist behavior on this very forum only reinforces the negative view. Instead, it is arrogant, pompous, know it all, I'm the supreme expert in EVERYTHING type attitudes and trying to justify blatant mockery of Christians that show the rot inside. If you claim that I have not be directly insulted then you are either being dishonest or have a distorted view of reality.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:59 PM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
For this particular instance, gabfest asked which versions of the Bible has been debunked. It seemed to me that was asking for a response, and I was not violating a person who only wanted to stay in the world of faith. As an example, Casual visitor has repeatedly said he holds his views in faith and is not interested in defending them on the basis of evidence or logic. I have respected that viewpoint and had a very civil exchanfe of views with that poster.
It wasn't really a criticism of you or anything you did. Something in your post just set off the thought in my head, I guess saying that it's on each one of us to establish the truth in what we do or don't believe. Some of us aren't trying to establish the truth for anyone else just be mentioning our practices or beliefs. That was my point.

And you are right about Casual Visitor (and yourself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality