Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 04:20 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Unfortunately, this probably not an appropriate forum for seeking spiritual advice. Many people here are atheists and their primary intent is to ridicule your faith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It's no wonder 99.9999% of the admins time here/religious forums is spent correcting various theist.

Or maybe an atheist would send her a link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 04:41 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hence my suggestion to post in the Christianity forum, where the existence of God cannot be questioned, for spiritual discussion regarding struggling with substance abuse. Why did you not reiterate that rather than using this person's thread to take another slap at atheists?

I would also suggest posting in Health and Wellness, particularly Mental Health, where the poster might find others who struggle with alcoholism, to address it as a health issue.
I didn't reiterate a single thing that you said.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
lets see, trying one's best and still suffering from an infliction.

No, I don't anybody like that, and If I did, i would judge them harshly.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:56 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Wow, so people were shamed by the Church into drinking. Maybe there are too many fake churches out there, but we each control our own path, Jesus didn't abolish free will.

I drink because alcohol is awesome, especially craft beer, nothing better in the world, the key is moderation. For those who can't control themselves, moderation can sometimes be never. Even water can become a problem if used incorrectly. So the problem isn't the alcohol, it is the reason that you are using it. It seems to me that loneliness is the problem, the alcohol is just a symptom.
When I say "shamed by the Church" it is essentially the inability to live up to self perceived "standards" of the church, or the bible and such. "Failing at Christianity" is a real problem for some people.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:45 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
What do you mean by "struggle with alcohol"? Jesus drank wine. Lots of churches still use wine as a sacrament. Does alcohol cause you to fail to live up to your responsibilities, or hurt people or yourself?
Whether someone has a problem with alcohol, or is an alcoholic, can be very subjective - I agree for sure.
Some people can drink like fish, and don't see it as a problem.
The OP obviously does regard it as a problem, and it can become one for many people.
But one does not need to be a teetotaler, unless advised to by AA or something like that.
I hope the OP gets the right help here, and can overcome their personal demons.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:03 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
As a recovered alcoholic, I can tell you this:

As much I try to follow the readings of the Bible, I still struggle with alcohol.

You are not following the Christ. Truly. You are reading the Bible, hoping someone else will cure your addiction. I have been through that phase. I prayed in a temple, asking for help. Person of true faith will not drink. It is impossible.

Thing is, there is no one who will do this on your behalf. YOU and only YOU will make that decision, religion or not, and YOU and only YOU will cure YOUR self. There is no one else to help you. All groups, books, everything else one clings to, are only crutches to build up OWN decision. Then when you decide - it's DONE. May 15 2003 was my day of decision.

What made me decide? I read a philosophical book that clearly explained to me what I am, what is my biggest value - mi mind and thinking - and then I realized, how much I am dulling that value with drinking. The very moment I had this realization come upon me - the DECISION was made. That was it.

But it's different for everyone. My buddy got into accident while drunk behind the wheel. That scared him to the point that he quit.

Find something that will change you.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:39 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
As much I try to follow the readings of the Bible, I still struggle with alcohol. I think a big part of it is because it's always been difficult for me to maintain friendships so I often feel lonely. Even when I do try to reach out, it's often feels one-sided on my part so it becomes exhausting for me. It doesn't help that I'm profound Deaf so if they can't relate to me on my level accepting who I am, I get pushed aside. Even if I try to meet those like me, it's all superficial, maybe bc I've met them later in life so they don't have the need for more close friends in their life
I am so sorry about your very real struggle, HappyFarm. Decades ago, when I was a Christian, we had this close friend who also struggled with substance abuse. I can't tell you the hours, days, weeks, months and years he and those closest to him spent in fasting, prayer, seeking deliverance, going from faith healer to faith healer, church to church, even joining David Wilkerson (some of you may remember him) and going to bible school. We would lay hands on him, pray for him, read the bible with him, cry with him. And yet he struggled. He ended up dying in a car wreck after years of struggle, never finding healing from his addictions.

Fast forward 35 years later. I am so sorry we weren't more in tuned to his addiction and how it is a disease that needs to be treated with more than what we had to offer so many years ago. I know he somehow felt his faith wasn't strong enough. I hope you do not feel that way, because it isn't true. And I hope you will continue to seek the medical and psychological treatment that you need in order to manage your disease. I know feeling lonely and not finding friends who love and accept you for who you are makes the struggle that must harder. Best of luck to you, and know we all are rooting for you.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:56 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

Or maybe an atheist would send her a link.
It's neat how you scourge around for even the smallest of morsels in order to sow ill will.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:23 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
What do you mean by "struggle with alcohol"? Jesus drank wine. Lots of churches still use wine as a sacrament. Does alcohol cause you to fail to live up to your responsibilities, or hurt people or yourself?
Good point. I assumed a drinking problem, but some sects of Christianity forbid all alcohol.

If it's that the OP just likes a drink or two in the evening but feels guilty because his or her church has a no-alcohol outlook, that is not much of a struggle. Go to a different type of church where alcohol is not forbidden.

We have wine at our potlucks.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:26 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I didn't reiterate a single thing that you said.
I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality